Hello Guest

no preheater hose!?

• 3 Replies

Offline WinnipegZuk

• The New Kid On The Block
no preheater hose!?
« on: February 10, 2007, 02:36:25 PM »
hey guys, wondering if u could help me out with someting. my samurai does not have a preheater hose... and further more the connection points on the exhaust manifold and the intake are not only about 3 feet from each other, but they are also different sizes, the intake in 2" the exhaust is 1.5". this makes no sence to me and all the pics i can find do not have preheater hoses. am i missing a stock piece and what they look lke so i can fab 1 up/.

and help would be woderful, i want to fix it if i can or if its actualy needed.

and if it matters its an 89' 1.3, carber

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
Re: no preheater hose!?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 06:54:25 AM »
Seems to me that the hose is one of those aluminum hoses with a plastic elbow that goes in the front of the air cleaner intake. I had mine off, but had to put it back on. As well, my emissions hoses and sensors were half missing or blocked off. Some of the sensors are gone too. With the emission hoses and sensors not connected, the gate on the air cleaner doesn't seem to know when to let the warm air into the intake.This gate controls the hot air going into the carb from the exhaust. I rigged it open for the winter because it stayed closed only allowing cold air in the the carb. The carb would get too cold of air and the engine would stall. Right now, I have a lack of power and undesirable gas mileage, but she starts right up, and keeps running even down to 5 degrees.

I got my hands on all the emissions stuff but haven't had the time or weather conditions to put them on. I will definitely do so first chance I get. Hopefully all will be back to normal at that point.

You can get a brand new hose with the elbow included (I think) from suzuki for about $26.00. Or you can also try Hawk for a new or used one. Auto parts stores only seem to have sae sizes. This hose is I think 55 mm diameter by 3 feet long. You have to have the plastic elbow or the air intake side because it transitions the aluminum hose to the intake tube.

Hope that helps.

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline WinnipegZuk

• The New Kid On The Block
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 12:36:34 PM »
thanks dude. ur talkin 5 degrees F?
ive been driving around for the last 2 weeks in -40c which is aparently -40F aswell....wierd,
she starts fine but yea i was just more or less interested...thanks alot though dude

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 02:12:01 PM »
Do you have all the proper vacuum hoses hooked up? I don't understand how your carb isn't freezing up with out having some warm air off the exhaust manifold going through it when it gets that cold. Like I said, Mine seems to need the warm air off the exhaust  when it gets cold out, even once it's warmed up.

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb