Hello Guest

Rebuilding hubs

• 10 Replies

Offline junkman

• Old stuff is OK
Rebuilding hubs
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:08:16 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I haven't seen anything about this, but is there a kit to replace the spring and other internal parts for the Sidekick manual hubs? It seems to me there should be. If there is, who would have them? If not, I guess I need a set of hubs because the springs in mine are broken and the other parts are badly pitted from non-use. What is a good (and inexpensive) set of hubs to look for and what would they be worth.

Junkman
One man's junk is parts for another man's 'kick!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Rebuilding hubs
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:37:37 AM »
Most of the time people recommend sticking with the Asian hubs instead of switching to after-market.  They seem to hold up better.

You can use a set of hubs from a Samurai if you use two gaskets to space them out just a touch, or just call Hawk Suzuki or hit a junk yard and pick up another set.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline junkman

• Old stuff is OK
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 09:17:03 AM »
Thanks for the info Drone

Junkman

Offline hegemon

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:32:31 PM »
I had the same problem, I picked up a pair of super winch hubs from Summit racing for $120.  I think the biggest issue people have had with the after market hubs is that the bolts tend to loosen up.  This is because  the stock Asian hubs have coned shaped indents, and the bolts have a cone shaped washer, which helps keep the bolts snug. I've only had the new hubs on for about 2 weeks, so I haven't had enough time to experience the problem yet.  I can't remember who it is, but one of the vendors makes has a kit for the bolts.  I'll try and find it.

Offline RJkick

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »
I have an extra set of stock hubs for $40

I only have 10 of the original 12 bolts and washers though

Hawk or Aftermarket4x4 should have the bolts and washers
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline Cuthulu

• I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
I switched to the Warns as a "upgrade" and had issues with them on the trail.  I ended up swaping out to the old ones before the day was out.

Offline junkman

• Old stuff is OK
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 04:09:28 AM »
I have an extra set of stock hubs for $40

I only have 10 of the original 12 bolts and washers though

Hawk or Aftermarket4x4 should have the bolts and washers

pm sent

Offline Merlin93

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:30:37 AM »
... is there a kit to replace the spring and other internal parts for the Sidekick manual hubs?

I called the Suzuki dealer and was told: No, no kit, but we can order the individual parts for you. I plan to take my hubs apart and see what I need. I do have a NOS set of Warns still in the box, but since the Aisin hubs have such a good reputation, I'll stick with them and keep the Warn 34581s in the box for another time.   

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 06:56:18 AM »
you should post up the parts #'s from suzuki for us all on here and pricing for the parts for the hubs (mine have seen better days, they have some good pitting and the springs are going...)
1990 Suzuki sidekick 2Dr Conv.
385,000 km and still going strong.
31" kumhos 3inchs of lift.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:13:06 PM »
I switched to the Warns as a "upgrade" and had issues with them on the trail.  I ended up swaping out to the old ones before the day was out.

Not the first time I've heard this. Get some Asians in there, and keep one of the Warns in your trail spare box.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Lrp_wicky

• Built, not bought.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CwdUHJBaY0
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »
Junkyard, pull a few sets and keep one on standbye. The stock ones are as good as, if not better than the aftermarkets.
89 tracker, tubed doors, locked front & rear, 26 spline front & rear sidekick axles w/5.12, auto trans swap, 4.21 low t-case, 35x12.5x15, yes thats 35 w/ body,well & floor board trimins, NSX Bottle fed +50hp & header, home made lift & other evil treats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CwdUHJBaY0