Hello Guest

Project RallyKick (Comments thread)

• 122 Replies

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: Project RallyKick (Comments thread)
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2005, 02:23:24 PM »
Also my coolant temp gauge reads low maybe its the temp sensor? Anyway of checking it?

I just looked that up about 30mins ago, lol. At 20C the temperature sensor should read around 2.3KOhms. Thats a different sensor to the one that the gauge uses though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 02:26:26 PM by Rhinoman »
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2005, 03:24:52 PM »
Zag,
Looking good so far. I think covering the basics is going to be great for a lot people. Those that know will just skip over it or may even pick up a reminder of something that bad habits have got in the way of. I don't know if that is final configuration with the new fan but if it is may I suggest looking at a way of improving the shrouding to direct all the air flow through the fan as it can make quite a difference on most vehicles. Keep up the good work.

CJ

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2005, 03:57:37 PM »
Here's a site with some nice moving images and explanations of Vacuum Guage readings that I thought some may find useful.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ergoff/vac1.htm

Offline zaggy

« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2005, 04:10:25 PM »
Thanks to Rhinoman and CJ

For adding the additional information on vacuum guages! Excellent stuff guys!

Thanks again!!!

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline BV1

• X-90 fan :)
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2005, 06:51:37 AM »
This is good info, I would like a bit more on the cam gear setup.

You are going to retard the cam timing by 1 tooth 6 degrees? What affect will this have?

-Steve

Offline zaggy

« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2005, 08:21:32 AM »
Hi BV1

I did a bunch of experimenting on this with an 8v engine on a test stand (see "high performance engine glitch thread). it sharpens the engine up and gives a little better response and on the test propellor it allowed a little more pitch which indicates a slight increase in power.
    This is one of those places where more is not better! Anymore and you start having running problems. (tried it).
    One of the members also made comment that they did it by accident and got the similar results, so it's a known freebie for a little more snap!

My understanding of the theory is that it is moving the cam timing up the power band a little bringing it into a more effective range for the engine. I my experiments 1 tooth was optimal, 2-3 teeth was to much. Going 1 tooth and using the stock cam gear make for a real cheap mod that helps a bit and this first section of the thread is all about "cheap, easy power".

(I've got a real itch to build a rocket motor, but that will come when the budget can take it)

Zag

Hey CJ

This is going to be the initial set up to see how it works. It will be installed with 1/2 rubber gasket between the fan shroud and held with plastic retainers. I expect to have to make changes as the power level rises or if I find low speed cooling problems.
     But quick and dirty is the start!

Zag

« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 08:37:29 AM by zaggy »

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2005, 10:04:25 AM »
zag ...

as to the efan mod ... I was going to take the factory shroud and fit an efan to that hole (enlarging as needed). Use fiberglass and maybe ply to git-r-done.

I'd done a similar thing to my chevy ... I made a plywood form to mount the fan to, mounted the plywood form into the factory shroud with some screws, fiberglassed the result, and then mounted the fan to the shroud and shroud to the factory spots. Works great since I can use the factory shround attachment (and not put fasteners through the radiator).

I just can't imagine fastening a fan to the rad core and having the result not cause damage when offroad.

This is on my winter todo list (aka when I have time and not actually wheelin :) )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline zaggy

« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2005, 10:12:46 AM »
Actually

The mounting I'm using is the same kind we've used in race and rally cars for years and as long as the fan is a reasonable weight we've never had a problem.
     This is also an experiment so I want to try it before I refine it, it would be neat to come up with an electric fan kit that would be a bolt on and this is the first step.

Zag

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2005, 02:09:33 PM »
zag ...

as to the efan mod ... I was going to take the factory shroud and fit an efan to that hole (enlarging as needed). Use fiberglass and maybe ply to git-r-done.

I'd done a similar thing to my chevy ... I made a plywood form to mount the fan to, mounted the plywood form into the factory shroud with some screws, fiberglassed the result, and then mounted the fan to the shroud and shroud to the factory spots. Works great since I can use the factory shround attachment (and not put fasteners through the radiator).

I just can't imagine fastening a fan to the rad core and having the result not cause damage when offroad.

This is on my winter todo list (aka when I have time and not actually wheelin :) )

A similar mounting system is also used by aftermarket efan suppliers. I threw away my shroud years ago as it was a mud trap and gave me lots of overheating problems off road. The rad still gets clogged but not so badly and its easier to hose out now. I haven't had any overheating problems with normal use (foot flat to the floor for 250 miles, only stopping for gas, lol).
For those chaps rushing out to reset their timing belt - don't forget to reset the ignition timing too.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline bsawyers

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2005, 05:17:13 AM »
How about a valve clearance adjustment?  On the cars I'm most familiar with, it should be done every 12-15K miles, but no one ever does them...  What is the interval on Suzuki engines?

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2005, 07:38:45 AM »
15K miles ... and you're right hardly anyone ever does it ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline zaggy

« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2005, 10:30:07 AM »
Hey Snofalls......

Did you catch the AC fan tip on the other thread...I think it's a good one and you are far more likely to find one where you are than I ever will, should make life easier.

Bsawyers

Good thought, I think I'll try and play catch up on the Valve adjust later!

And you guys are right we should be adjusting about every 15,000 miles, like everyone else I',m prone tho leave it till it gets noisy.

Zag

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2005, 12:34:28 PM »
I have a custom aluminum shroud and fan
if someone is interested, I ran it on the Turbo
SideKick, but after I installed the intercooler,
it couldn't pull enough air through to keep the
engine cool, so I put the stock fan/shroud back on

I'll post pics if anyone is interested, I'd ask $50
plus shipping, the fan cost $80 plus all the fabbing.

It's home made, and welded .050 sheet with a MIG
so it's not super pretty, but could be made so if wanted

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline zaggy

« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2005, 08:38:50 AM »
Thanks for pointing out the valve adjust stuff guys...

I'm backing up a step and going to do a blow by blow on it today.
Seeing as I haven't got all the perf parts ready yet.

Zag

Offline zaggy

« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2005, 02:09:11 PM »
Sorry guys

The valve adjust is gonna take longer than the tune up...got some in shop issues slowing me down.

Zag