Hello Guest

Oil Leak!! Help!

• 5 Replies

Offline Tattoo

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Oil Leak!! Help!
« on: July 23, 2006, 06:56:31 PM »
Hello,

Brand new here to the forum.  I just bought a 88 Samurai last week in great shape
with 70K miles, bone stock, but it has an oil leak.  I am not a big "truck guy" expert.
It looks like it is leaking from the rear of the engine before the transmission......

It looks like it sprays around a bit.  It leaks on the ground from the oil pan back and runs over the frame.  A few hoses in the rear of the engine near the back up  higher have oil on them too ( told ya I'm no truck guy.... but willin to learn)  Can a main seal leak be the answer?

If so what would it cost to fix it and how much $$$$   If its too technical for me to fix I live in Medford Oregon and was going to have the guys at Trail Tough look at it. 

Thanks for the help.  Hope to make this my main huntin rig.

T
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 07:00:09 PM by Tattoo »

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: Oil Leak!! Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 07:21:50 PM »
Me Me Me! I wanna be first this time!

What you are describing is the Classic "Distributor O-Ring Leak"

The O-Ring goes bad and oil leaks out over the rear of the engine and onto the transmission.

Do a search for distributor at Ack's FAQ (see link in my signature) where you'll find an article packed with pics showing you how to fix the leak.

No Arms or Legs will be lost in the fixing of this problem.

Welcome to our world of Suzuki 4x4 Offroading!

Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Tattoo

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 07:31:50 PM »
Ack,

Man I was LMAOROF when I read your post!

Me Me Me! I wanna be first this time.

That is outstanding I was hoping it was just something simple.  I will check
out your FAQ section and then ask you a ton of stupid questions  ;D
I know what a wrench is I just don't use them that often. That will change....

I have hunted in my buddies Samurai and it rocks!  Goes everywhere and I
had to get one when I finally found one.  Cool deal I will check it out.
Thanks for the help!

T

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 07:47:15 PM »
... Or it might be a leaky valve cover seal.

Whatever it is, it probably won't be HIDEOUSLY expensive to fix.

That is the beauty of the Samurai, Grasshopper.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:20:03 PM »
I replace the distributor o-ring, and the extension shaft housing o-ring. Then I found the front seals leaking.(I cleaned the engine after each job). Then it was seaping out of the back of the oil pan gasket. Wait, I replaced the valve cover gasket after I did the o-rings. After all this, I discovered that the tranny output seal was leaking. replaced. Then I found the transfer case rear output and front inputs leaking. Replace. Then I found the tranfer front output leaking. Fixed. Now----- It's leak free. Also clean as a whistle. I maybe have $100 to 120 in seals. Welcome to the wonderful world of suzukis. No regrets though. Jeeps leak too. These seals were not that hard to replace. I'm no beginner but no expert either. I did have the front engine ones done by some one else when the timing belt was changed. I don't know if I could have changed it myself and didn't want to take a chance. Maybe next time. Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline Tattoo

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 11:01:51 PM »
Ok,

Here is my update to  the leak...  I did not see any leak from the distributor, now that
I know what it looks like.  But,  I took it to Trial Tough here in Medord anyway since it needed to be retimed if it was the distributor o-rings.  Travis at Trail tough, who was very cool, looked at it for 2 seconds and said..... drum roll.........   Fuel pump!! 

So $49  for a new fuel pump later no leaking I hope....   we shall see after the oil dripping
from the fuel pump change is wiped/drips  off.   Now to salivate at the Trail Tough catalog
that Travis gave me and add up future damage to credit card... Thanks Travis!!

Thanks to everyone here for the help too.

T