Hello Guest

NEWS: GM dumps Suzuki stake for much-needed cash

• 50 Replies

Offline MacZuki

Re: NEWS: GM dumps Suzuki stake for much-needed cash
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »
Isn't anyone else pissed off about the state of our country?

I think our recent election showed that.

And YES, it is about the stock holders. as the CEO you work for 5 years or so, inflate the price of the stock. Get your multi million dollar golden parachute and be gone.
Whats That ?
Well then go get your tow strap, and Ill be happy to take You and your Jeep to places you've only heard about.

Offline dustybadlands

• dustybadlands treeslammer
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »
Good points, guys, I would like to see the days return when car people ran the car companies. Now it's the bean counters. In "global manufacturing" it's all about "HPU's", hours per units. Fundamental accounting, each hour represents a wage that's static by contract. If you can't reduce the wage, you must reduce the hours. To reduce hours, you reduce people, hourly workers. :'( So now there are 2/3 less workers producing at a given rate. this equals $$$$ not quality. To make a quality product, it must be standardized and redundant so that one process cannot proceed until the previous one is done correctly. This requires more engineers who are better paid than the average worker but does not add to the HPU. So it looks like a quality product is being produced by less hourly workers, in reality the cost is higher overall. But don't worry, the engineers pay comes out of another department.
Not picking on engineers, lil truck, in fact I've always wanted to drive a train too! ;) In my plant, they are morfing into a "team". When it's done right, it's really supprising how the average hourly workers come up with super inovations on how to improve the production and quality. That's 'cause they're car people. Manufacturing is in their blood, like "bent parts".
"If nuthin' changes, nuthin changes. Do what ya  always did, get what ya  always got !"

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »
Happy Thanksgiiving Mike! I'm wondering when this is gonna get moved to the water cooler. Ok, lets start with OSHA. Did you know that their regulations were originally written in 1975? The only one that is still pertinent today is a vaguely written one that says something like once it has been demonstrated that a company can improve a condition, it must maintain it.

I don't know where you get your info on OSHA, but you're WAY off on this one.  As an OSHA Outreach safety instructor, I know a lot about them.  OSHA is constantly updating its regulations, and for the most part, reflect current conditions, not ancient ones.  Problem is the administration.  For better or worse, they backed off on new regs and watered down some others.  The problem is global trade with no barriers to a US company moving the jobs to less regulated countires.  To paraphrase the current Sec. of Labor, "A U.S. worker working in a less than safe American factory is better than the worker not working at all".  No truer words can be said.

As for the car-company bashing going on, get real.  They don't make the decisions for the company or the country, they make them for the shareholders.  NEWSFLASH!  They are required by law to do whatever is in the best interest of the shareholders!  And since long-term investing is defined as holding the investment for 3-5 years, the concern with what happens to the company in 50 years is irrelevant.

Add to this that the same 8% that owns more than 40% of the Big 3's stock also own ~35% of the US oil company stocks.  If I own a lot of auto and petro stocks, the last thing I want is a CEO of the car company have a plan to make a fleet of ultra-high MPG autos.  That would be very bad for my petro stock value!

One solution?  Outlaw public ownership of corporations.  Period.

As this thread digresses...

Frankly, I like that GM is outta ASMC.  Maybe, without their ties, they will produce my Katana soft-top and I'll consider buying another new Suzuki.  'Til then, I remain...

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2008, 11:17:05 AM »
Man, you guys suck at getting threads locked.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 09:15:30 AM »
Not picking on engineers, lil truck, in fact I've always wanted to drive a train too! ;) In my plant, they are morfing into a "team". When it's done right, it's really supprising how the average hourly workers come up with super inovations on how to improve the production and quality. That's 'cause they're car people. Manufacturing is in their blood, like "bent parts".

That's how I got an engineering job.  I worked as an expermintal assembler (future car builds) for 15 years.  I've done every thing from engine builds to building a car from a body in white.  That means I completely build a car, every nut and bolt.

Also in my plant we put a high value on hourly input to help with improvements on anything from quality, assembly time, to safty.
e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 09:43:06 AM »
That's how I got an engineering job.  I worked as an expermintal assembler (future car builds) for 15 years.  I've done every thing from engine builds to building a car from a body in white.  That means I completely build a car, every nut and bolt.

That's pretty cool.  What is the most interesting car you worked on?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline locjaw

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 07:20:47 PM »
  >:( I hope GM, Ford and other American car makers can survive and prosper, all I want is to be proud of American Made again, and be paid a fair wage for giving my time and health to the company. I've been talking with dustybadlands, and he made a very good point: the average auto worker isn't so much making "too" much, it's that the rest of us aren't making enough for what we do. It didn't make sense to me until he explained the ratio of cost to earnings thing, example: 30 years ago a candy bar cost 10 cents, a decent hourly wage was $3. Today, same candy bar, $1.00 good hourly wage: $30. Same ratio, so if that were the case, we should all be making more, correct? I still have a problem with $3.00 an hr being a good wage 30 years ago, but that's another story. Something besides the ratio of earnings to cost has changed. I think it's the greed of share holders and corporate elite. Today, it's not the product being made that's the concern of the manufacturers, it's the return to the " shareholders" that's most important. Screw everything else, as long as the shareholders get theirs. Cut corners everywhere you can, as long as the stock price returns  are good. I don't know about anyone else, but I really am tired of having our own government support corporate greed, and use the rest of us like disposable tools. I'm sick of being angry and damned if I'm going to live in fear.  Maybe the Europeans have a couple of good ideas after all, like the whole damn country going on strike until some things change. Isn't anyone else pissed off about the state of our country?
well said bentparts....... amen
the rich just get richer, the poor just get poorer and the government doesent care. these corperations should pay BIG taxes unstead of providing the CEO's with big pensions that they keep even after they run there company to the ground.
so, lets look at the "real numbers"close of stock today(if i am correct, and if i'm not i'm sure someone here will correct me)
GM= 610.46 million shares X $4.11 =$2,508,990,600 that is the net worth of GM
ford= 2.39 billion shares X $2.66 =$6,357,400,000 net worth of ford
diamler= 1.1 billion shares X $29.83 =$32,813,000,000 net worth of diamler
total =$41,679,390,600
looks like diamler is doing ok, but why are we gonna loan the other two over double (close to triple)what there worth?
looks to me like our government is getting into the same problem that just closed fannie/freddy, loaning people more than there junk is worth
anybody?
is my math even right? i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but it dont seen to even add up to me
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:46:04 PM by locjaw »
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2008, 09:00:03 AM »

That's pretty cool.  What is the most interesting car you worked on?
[/quote]

For most of my time I was in Flint Michigan.  I worked for GM V6 Powertrain.  I was a engine builder when the first proto types for the superchared 3800 came out.  Now there's an engine.  I still don't know why GM stopped making them?  And the cars I built were the family type Buicks and Cadilacs

Now I'm a production/equipment engineer for the Corrvette ZO6, ZR1, & Cadilac Pro-V assembly line here in Wixom Michigan.  They are all hand built, one person engines.  The engines even have the builders name on them.

The Pro-V is a Northstar Supercharged engine producing 465HP.  They go in the STS-V and the XLR-V.
The ZO6 is a 7.0L (427ci) small block that makes 505HP.
The ZR1 is a 6.2L (378ci) small block supercharged engine that makes 638HP.

All these engines come with the GM 100,000 mile 5 yr warrenty.

So far I'm still doing good.  The people that still have money, still want the go fast.
96 Tracker
32 MTR's Warn 8000i

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2008, 10:56:08 AM »
I just have to put my $.02 in here about unions. I was a machinist for 17 years, 5 at union shops. I feel that certain unions are ruining this country! At one company(non-union) I ran 6 machines at a time. This wasn't a problem as the cycle time ranged from 15 min. to 2.5 hours per part. The machines were arranged in a cell type environment, easy to keep them all up and running. I then went to a union shop, 1 man=1 machine. I got written up for running more than one machine eventhough it had a 1.75 hour cycle time. I wasn't allowed to deburr my parts as that was somebodys job to do. I was told to bring a computer chess game or the like to play and pass my time. I can't just do that, so I quit. I ran into the same thing at the next union shop. Now, can you explain why our products cost so much more than the Jap stuff?
2001 4 door Tracker. 2.5 V6 4x4
235/75/15 Firestone Destination A/T's
Jeff's 2" spacer lift

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »
Backwoods tracker. Nicely said.

I'm an architect, and I too have worked for a number of companies over the years. Only one was union. and it was ridiculous the plain stupidity of what you were allowed to do and not do.

I was on the structural team, therefore not "ALLOWED" to work on the curtinwall.
The curtinwall attaches to our structure in a highrise. so we waited, Explained it to a Jr Draftsman, waited for him to draw it WRONG, was allowed to redline the necessary changes, Waited for Jr to once again get it 80% correct, Redline again...............Blah, Blah, Blah. My point is I could of drawn what I needed in 1/2 the time it took Jr to screw up the first set, let alone make all the revisions.

Go Figure ???
Whats That ?
Well then go get your tow strap, and Ill be happy to take You and your Jeep to places you've only heard about.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »
I agree with maczuki and backwoodstracker, some union rules are just plain stupid. Example:  There was an article in a small town paper a while back about the town mayor, who was driving to his office one morning and saw a sewer lid that had come dislodged. He stopped his car, and proceeded to re position the lid, back into place. All in all it took him less than 5 minutes to do. It saved the city money in a varity of different ways, especially if someone had hit it and decided to sue. Unfortunatly, someone from the citys DPW saw him, and reported him. He was threatened with legal action, and told roads are the DPW's responsibilty. It seems the union for the DPW has a set, fixed schedule for this job: 4 men, two for blocking the road, one supervisor, one laborer. They get 2+ hrs for the job.  Yeah, some union rules are completly stupid, and I can go on about many union rules, my buddy who's a millright has told me stories that'll make you laugh at their stupidity. Same for the teamsters. That being said, I still think there's a place for the unions, it just needs to be brought back into the realm of reality and common sense, something the whole country seems to be lacking.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline RHodge

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2008, 07:54:11 PM »
I still think there's a place for the unions, it just needs to be brought back into the realm of reality and common sense, something the whole country seems to be lacking.
YES      YES
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:56:58 PM by RHodge »

Offline dustybadlands

• dustybadlands treeslammer
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
(quote)         "I don't know where you get your info on OSHA, but you're WAY off on this one.  As an OSHA Outreach safety instructor, I know a lot about them.  OSHA is constantly updating its regulations, and for the most part, reflect current conditions, not ancient ones.  Problem is the administration.  For better or worse, they backed off on new regs and watered down some others. "

Couldn't agree with you more on the watered down part, Tim, good to see that there's more safety watchdogs out there. I'm a UAW International Health & Safety Rep. and a "T3 qualified" Health & Safety Trainer. If you were to look at the UAW's health & safety guidelines and compare them to OSHA's, you'd be horrified along with us at the conditions the govt. allows. Check out their rulings on fiberglass.
  On another point, I couldn't agree with you all more on the fact that there are a lot of lazy workers out there. They find refuge in union shops because everywhere else they'dve been fired long ago. 
  Things have changed a lot tho in the last 10 years in the UAW. IN the late 90's a small influx of greatful younger workers has helped create a new awareness. The Arbour report continually states the better productivity of union shops. Sadly, the current lay-offs hit these people first.
  I and many others feel that if we expect mgmt. to give 100%, that we should at least do the same. Most of us give more.

Back to the original topic of this thread, GM has their fingers in everything. I was kinda bummed when they dropped the Tracker. When we are trying to figure out what the Corporation is gonna do next, we always say "one thing you can count on... they'll do the least logical thing!"
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 05:34:03 PM by dustybadlands »
"If nuthin' changes, nuthin changes. Do what ya  always did, get what ya  always got !"

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2008, 07:16:10 PM »
I don't believe it's the US Tax Payer's responsibility to employ people. I believe it's each individual's responsibility to make sure they're employable. I've worked for companies that were obviously going to fail, and I took appropriate action. It's no secret that US auto makers have been doing a poor job of meeting customer's demands. If someone wants to work in the auto industry, and chooses to work for an inferior auto maker... why should I loan them money via my tax dollars when I've made sure I'm in a marketable field?

American manufacturers (of vehicles) have been screwing up since the 70's. They're slow to respond to customer demand - while foreign manufactures are meeting the demands of customers year after year. It's not my fault GM & Ford concentrated on gas-guzzling tanks. There will always be a market for reasonably priced reliable autos. US auto makers ignored this market while foreign auto makers continued to develop darn-good cars, light trucks & SUVs.

Ford & GM have HUGE distribution opportunities. There's a Ford or GM dealership every few miles. This alone will create enough value that someone will buy them out, fix them, and make them marketable again. Let the free market do it's thing. Part of improving what we have is letting some things fail, and allowing someone with better ideas & financing come along and fix it.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 09:34:56 AM »
If you use the above argument and place it in the 1930...

We should have just let the US fail and let some other country take over.  We must not have known what we were doing to get ourselves in that bad of shape.  We should have fired the president, closed congress and maybe just turn over everything back over to England.  They've been around for a long time and must be doing something right.

Instead the "Government" provied jobs and other ways for people to survive.  So that means the Tax payers had to provide the money for those new jobs and services... 

A lot of what happen was good and some things were bad.  At least they tried and didn't give up and are still a country today.

If we let the Big 3 fail we will be handing the country over to another.  We will be solely dependent on foreign produced/controlled vehicles.
96 Tracker
32 MTR's Warn 8000i