Hello Guest

New front skidplate is being offered!

• 45 Replies

Offline suzukiboyoz

• Friends don't let friends ride a Yamaha
    • http://community.webshots.com/
Re: New front skidplate is being offered!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 09:24:02 PM »
Looks like it will miss the bull bar anyway. the truss may interfere a little. I will know better this weekend or next week and let you know.  (I will build a truss like the calmini to test it. )
Do you need any more pics of the truss for dimensions?
Calmini 3" Suspension Lift, Calmini Skid Plates, Calmini Rockhoppers, 30" Mud TYres, ARB Bullbar, Rear ARB Locker, Custom Sill Sliders, Rear Bumper and a lot more.

Offline Wildweasel

• Git er Done!
    • Wildweasel's world
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 10:24:54 AM »
I am set on the truss info.  IN talking with Sean it looks like these plates will NOT work with a dropped diff like with the 3" kit from Calmini. The 2" lift I have looks like it will clear as it is not lower than the crossmember.
Glenn
91 geo tracker, Toyota axles, twin tcases,35's too many mods to list.

Offline blacktrack99

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 04:27:40 PM »
99+ skids.  Dropped an e-mail to the folks at Aftermarket 4x4 snooping around to see if they'd played around with  a good heavy front skid for the 99+ Vitara/Tracker.  If they have ten people committed to one, they'll build it.  Bought my 4x4 used, and it didn't come w/ so much as a pie pan under it.

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 09:53:38 AM »
I just got my skid in for the 2 door convert.

SUPER!  Nicest looking piece I have seen yet..   Almost to pretty to bolt on my bucket!

I will get some pictures after the paint dries and I get it installed.
1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline Quaddawg

• My Ebay Store
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 10:57:56 AM »
The ONLY thing I don't care for is the way the back bolts are the lowest thing in the front now.. I am wondering how they will hold up..  I may weld a couple of small skids in front of them, like the Masterkit skid has...   all in all, I LOVE it... looks great in satin black.. I used bumper and trim paint on it.. as it stays flexible.. might last a little longer than regular paint.. LOL.. I was going to use Chassis Saver on it, but didn't feel like waiting 4 hours to install it.

Good going Aftermarket4x4...   Super product for a super price!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 11:01:38 AM by Quaddawg »

Offline hobgoblin

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 11:43:17 AM »
Quaddawg,

I'm going to try smooth head bolts,might have to file the holes to square,but at least they wouldn't snag any thing.

Later Tom K.

Offline Quaddawg

• My Ebay Store
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 12:20:49 PM »
Hob, you asked about my quads... and I can't get a PM through to you...

Here is a link to my lastest..

http://www.forumsigs.com/users/quaddawg605/ATV_Album/

and the boys hot mini quad too...

Offline aftermarket4x4

• ZUKIWORLD
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 05:44:07 PM »
Let me answer a few questions.

Suzukiboyoz:
YES, it will work with the ARB Bull Bar as well as the Shrockworks and the Calmini tube bumper. I haven't seen a Calmini winch bumper, but if it mounts the same as the tube bumper will fit with one of them as well.  Anyone want to test fit one?

HOTROD
This skid plate is not meant to work with the Calmini truss, but with a little modification it can work. I'll have to install a Skid plate on a buddy's that has the 3" lift w/Calmini truss on it and take a pic. Again, it does not bolt right on, but can be made to work if you must have the truss. This skid plate WILL work with the Calmini 2" and 3" lift kits, but with the 3" lift you must space the skid off the crossmember a little for it to fit since the front diff hangs down so low.

Zukipilot
This skid plate is made out of 10 gauge plate steel that is laser cut and gusseted for strength.

BlackTrack99
Yes, 10 orders would get the 99 + skid plates into production......let's get going!

Quaddawg
I am very pleased that you are very happy with your new Skid Plate and I will let you and everyone else know as soon as the Gas Tank skid plates are ready. The bolts I send with the kit are standard grade 8 hex heads. I am aware of the bolts hanging down and I thought of using countersunk bolts or button head (rounded head) bolts, but was afraid that there would be no meat left on them to get the bolts out once they were ground down and mushed over in the rocks so I figured low profile grade 8 hex head bolts would do just fine since you can grip them with vice grips if they are too mangled to get a 12mm socket on them. With countersunk or button head bolts they would use an allen type socket head which would make them even harder to remove once they get mashed in.

Sean DeVinney
AFTERMARKET4X4|removethispart|@cox.net

Offline the_maplebar

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 06:17:12 PM »
The bolts I send with the kit are standard grade 8 hex heads. I am aware of the bolts hanging down and I thought of using countersunk bolts or button head (rounded head) bolts, but was afraid that there would be no meat left on them to get the bolts out once they were ground down and mushed over in the rocks so I figured low profile grade 8 hex head bolts would do just fine since you can grip them with vice grips if they are too mangled to get a 12mm socket on them. With countersunk or button head bolts they would use an allen type socket head which would make them even harder to remove once they get mashed in.

Ain't that the truth.  I've got the ZR2 skid on my 2002, otherwise I'd be placing an order. It has has standard hex bolts and one has been torn right off.  I've been thinking about taking the rest out and replacing them with button head bolt's, but how would you get them out if they were ground down?  Guess that is not going to happen, I'll just have to keep a few spare's and check them out every once in a while ;)
2002 4DR Tracker V6 ZR2.... 1.5"/2" coil spacers front/rear, BDS Strut Extensions, 235/75R15 Cooper STT... They ROCK!!!
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=35.msg111575#msg111575[/url]

Offline Quaddawg

• My Ebay Store
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006, 07:02:21 PM »
If it becomes a problem, I will weld a couple little bolt skids down there.. not a big deal.

The price for the the quality is CHEAP at $119.99...   

If they are still on sale, it would be silly not to pick one up.. 

I put it next to the skid plate from Masterkit1.....  no comparison, sorry Masterkit, back to the drawing board with ya..  (it's gonna be hard to sell the skid on ebay now...lol)

The laser cutting makes for such a nice finished product, the box and brake work is exceptional also.

uh, sorry... I tend to get carried away when I come across a quality product for a fair price.

Offline Quadzuki

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2006, 10:39:38 AM »
Have you tryed to fit it on a sport yet............
98 4 dr Sport JX ~RRO 4.5 Rocksteady lift~2.5" cat back~16x8 Rocker wheels~P235/70R16 Yokahama Geolander AT+II~Recessed valve stems~Euro Tailights~RRO Sliders~

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2006, 12:12:54 PM »
I might be interested in one for a 99+.  I'll talk to you about it when I get my tax money back and come looking for a Track/Kick.  Just waiting on some paperwork now... :P

Offline aftermarket4x4

• ZUKIWORLD
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 01:50:43 PM »
Have you tryed to fit it on a sport yet............

No, I have not, but if someone has the ability to compare a sport to a standard 4-door Track/Kick that would tell if they fit. Either way, I am sure I can modify one to fit the Sport. Wanna be a guinea pig?

Sean

Offline track_this

• Live for something or die for nothing
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2006, 12:01:15 AM »
what if like mentioned earlier you file the holes to accept a square carriage bolt? wouldnt have to worry about having to get some tool on the head just the nut which is up outta harms way.the bolt has a rounded head wich sits flush against skid. perfect no snagging or mangling.
1994 geo tracker 1.6L 16v 4x4 2dr soft top 5.12 gears.MODS:
calmini 3 inch sus. lift
rear lockright
31" kumho m/t's
RRO 2" body lift custom snorkel front & rear trail tough bumpers-Tabor 9k winch(warn) 100amp alt. grand vitara steel 3rd member

Offline hobgoblin

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2006, 12:10:42 AM »
Track_this

After looking at it you can't do that.Sean set it up to use factory hole that are drilled and tapped already.Just put mine on tonight.Fit great no problems at all.If anybody needs a skid this is the one to get.

Later TomK.