Hello Guest

Would Weeping Radiator cause power loss >???

• 4 Replies

Offline dingus

Would Weeping Radiator cause power loss >???
« on: June 14, 2009, 02:24:05 PM »
OK i just Noticed at the very top of my 1997 LSI tracker Radiator theres a 6 inch long Crack.
hot Water from the rad weeps outa this crack when i pull in the driveway.
Were talking Weeping not pouring out but im sure its enough to effect presure of the Collant system.
Would lower than normal water presure in the Cooling system cause power loss at low RPM  ???

Tho the Power loss is when the engine is cold to so i dont Know !

Im gona try and Epoxy Fix till i can get to town and buy a new Rad.

The thing Idles perfect and once it gets speed up ever so slowly so i can  shift the auto Trans into second them my RPMs are up i climb the hills no trobles.

I pulled all the plugs they look Perfect pulled the Dist Cap looks ex little build up here and there so cleaned it up.
It dont Miss it dont Sputter.
The PVC Valve seems to work good the EGR valve to.

then i notioced this coolent leak at the top of the plastic rad.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 02:28:44 PM by dingus »

Online fordem

Re: Would Weeping Radiator cause power loss >???
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
I'd say no - the actual pressure in the cooling system is not critical, as long as the engine is not allowed to lose coolant to the point where it overheats.

Having said that - it is theoretically possible for a leaking cooling system to allow water to spray onto the ignition system and cause a misfire, which would cause a power loss - but I doubt that is your problem - my suspicion is that your weep occurs only when the engine is hot and the cooling system under pressure, and you mention that the power loss occurs with the engine cold.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline dingus

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 03:13:39 PM »
I'd say no - the actual pressure in the cooling system is not critical, as long as the engine is not allowed to lose coolant to the point where it overheats.

Having said that - it is theoretically possible for a leaking cooling system to allow water to spray onto the ignition system and cause a misfire, which would cause a power loss - but I doubt that is your problem - my suspicion is that your weep occurs only when the engine is hot and the cooling system under pressure, and you mention that the power loss occurs with the engine cold.

Yep your Right no power cold or hot. I epoxyed the crack anyway. No water is spraying anywhere!

But im at a loss to this sudden power loss at low RPM and power at high RPM once i get going.
Hope the guys in town can figger it out!
 im done i checked the mechanical things i can handle.

Only one thing i noticed when i rev the engine the EGR Valve dont Move.
I can unplug the hose from the top Valve looking thing and suck on it ant then the Diaframe moves in and the engine losses power runs rough.

But when i Rev up the engine reaching way down in behind that Steel Valve thing (its attached with two long bolts to the back of the Engine) i dont feel any noticable movement in it when i rev the engine.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:15:14 PM by dingus »

Offline 4Zstracker

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:45:56 PM »
On this motor one of the first things i check for is ignition timing, due to some of my own bad experience. Just a thought.
if ya always do what ya always done, you always gonna get what ya always got...

Offline dingus

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:13:57 PM »
I agree but have no working Timeing lite.
Thats something im gona pic up.

They better sort this out tomorrow with there computors testers ect,
i really like this tracker.