Hello Guest

Mating connector for trailer wiring

• 10 Replies

Offline reb

• Victim of CRS--Can't Remember Anything.
Mating connector for trailer wiring
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:38:29 AM »
Getting ready to wire my Sport for a trailer.  Found the connector in the harness ahead of the tail light with the wires for the trailer.  Has anyone found a mating connector?  I am fairly sure it is the same as the other trackicks of the same vintage.  The wiring diagram (and apparently the harness) for the '98 Tracker is the same.  Will probably have to just splice into the wires, but it would be neater and easier to use a connector.

phloop

Re: Mating connector for trailer wiring
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 12:35:49 PM »
Go to wally world and see if they have an adaptor from Hoopy.

Offline wheresmyhat

• 16v here I come baby!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 02:40:18 PM »
There is  a factory harness  that plugged into the stock harness at the connector. I have only had one out of the six that I have parted out have one a tow harness in it. You might try the dealer as a factory option.
86 sami 87 motor and a few other years in there probably, dana 44 rear,36"tsl. I once had splitfire spark plugs.

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »
These rigs can tow?

Actually. the question is can they stop anything towed behind them?

With such a short wheel base, I'd be wary of even a 500lb load attached to the rear.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline reb

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 05:38:57 PM »
Phloop:  I have the adapter.  I was looking for a simple way to wire it into the Zuke wiring harness.

Snofalls:  I agree, too much weight can be a problem.  I read somewhere that it is rated to pull 1500 #.  That is much more than I would consider.  I got a 4x5 trailer made by Thule.  It weighs less than 200 #.  I figure that it will haul a reasonable amount of camping gear safely.

Offline reb

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 06:04:17 PM »
There is  a factory harness  that plugged into the stock harness at the connector. I have only had one out of the six that I have parted out have one a tow harness in it. You might try the dealer as a factory option.

Thanks for the tip.  I figure the chances of the dealer having such a part for a 10 year old car are slim.  Anyway, the cost there is likely to be more than it is worth to me.  If I get a chance to try a few junkyards (or whatever the PC term is now) I will see what I can find.  Since I live about 100 miles from the nearest source of used Zuke parts, it is probably more practical to go ahead and splice into the harness.

phloop

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 06:49:56 PM »
Phloop:  I have the adapter.  I was looking for a simple way to wire it into the Zuke wiring harness.

First let me say that I got the name wrong, it is Hoppy not Hoopy. That is the CRS kicking in.

Like I mentioned, try finding a Hoppy adaptor that will allow you to plug into the stock wiring harness. They make a T fitting that will do this, you unplug a plug for the rear tail lights at the rear and plug one end of the adaptor into the female side and the other end into the male side. I bought one for my Sammy, but I will admit that was a while back.

I take it by your term adaptor you do not have the T fitting adaptor but the car/truck end of the trailer connector?

Also after lookking real quick on the net, it looks like you may have to hardwire an adaptor instead of using a T adaptor.

Offline reb

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 11:44:34 AM »

Also after lookking real quick on the net, it looks like you may have to hardwire an adaptor instead of using a T adaptor.

After I answered you, it occurred to me that you meant an adapter for the Suzuki wiring.  I had looked a few days ago and didn't see anything like that.  I used one of those T adapters on the wife's Nissan truck.  I would think that, since the Trackick has a connector in the harness for the trailer wiring someone would make an adapter to plug into it.   Guess the Suzuki aftermarket isn't big enough. 

The adapter I have is the generic 5 wire to 4 pin flat trailer connector, which I will apparently have to splice into the harness.

Offline justzukies

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 02:16:49 AM »
am also looking to do the same thing on my 94 kick.  have a good source of info from guys here that do this every day.  am going to check with them for mine and will get back to ya.
94 kick 1.6 16V AT 4dr  Calmini 3" lift

Ira

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 03:56:25 AM »
95 Track and I'm ready to do the same thing--like TODAY.

From what I've heard, I have to splice into mine behind the rear driver's side panel and snake the wire back through. Is this correct?

The problem I have is how to splice what, and testing it--my trailer is at the boatyard. But I guess I can find someone in the neighborhood to test in on theirs.

Offline reb

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 10:34:34 AM »
I'm doing mine today, also.  The wiring for mine is behind the driver's side panel, too.  There is a connector there with all the wires required, plus a 12V wire.  I will splice the pigtail to those wires.  If I pull the tail light off, I can see a rubber plug through the bottom.  I will slit a hole in that to route the pigtail through (before splicing).  Some silicone seal should close it up adequately.  I would guess your vehicle is similar.