Hello Guest

Loud snap, and no 4wd :(

• 21 Replies

Offline SnoFalls

Re: Loud snap, and no 4wd :(
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 04:09:44 PM »
... and i cannot shift between 2 and 4wd whilst rolling anymore. If i try, this nasty crunching sound comes from the stick.

#1, I never see a need to shift from 2wd to 4wd whilst rolling ... I ALWAYS stop, and then go from 2hi to 4lo, but that's me.

Would this very brief description explain a common problem to you guys? Its too dark now to take a photo / look properly underneath. But from what i can see the transfer box (i think) has moved forward a cm, as i see a slight gap between my rear propshaft and the box (again, i think i'm naming these parts correctly) that wasnt there before. I'll grab a photo asap in daylight . . . .
it's possible you tweaked the tcase mount a cm or so, but the reap shaft is a "slip joint" so it's designed to move in and out (this has nothing todo with you lack of front drive tho ...

ok, well i've just lied underneath it playing. I dont have freewheeling hubs / ones i can lock / unlock, just standard ones. So i cant try that trick.
actually you can ... the "auto hubs" can be fooled into locking if you lift the wheel off the ground and spin the CV forward fast enuf

2wd, the front shaft will spin freely underneath (obviously as its not connected to the gears)

4wd, i stuck a screwdriver in as you said wezzlegod, and each slight turn either way moves the car front/backward. Which tells me it is connecting up to the gears up front :S  ( Both sides of the front diff spin too )

Yet when i drive it on the road, usually in 4wd, my steering is tougher / limited (i dont have  powersteering). With the occasional clunk from the cv joints. Now this doesnt happen with it being as easy as 2wd.

Is it possible it could be in 4wd, untill theres some force, then it just not work fully?

And i still cant change between 2 + 4 whilst rolling in a straight line.... i get a loud crunching
As was said before, NEVER enguage 4wd on a solid surface ... and don't try to go 2wd to 4wd while moving (there's no point).

I'd bet, you popped a CV up front. It might not be totally destoyed (like I seem to do), but broken enuf that when it spins, it'll clunk ... I've busted a CV and had to enguage, my now 3 wheel drive (since I have a front locker), and it clunked along until I got past a point where I could get back into 2wd.

It could also be a simple matter of one of your "auto hubs" is fawked, and isn't disenguaging ...

Jack up both rear wheels, and one front wheel, put the tcase into 4lo. start it up and, put it into "drive" (it shouldn't try drive off the stands since there's only one tire in contact with the ground, but it might, so be gentle). 

If it tries to drive off the stands, then the front tire on the ground is the side that's mucked up ...

Hear any clunking? ... then its the tire in the air that has the mucked up side ...

Try the same with the other front tire on the ground.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline skandy32

• Zukiworld Rocks!
    • Andy Colver Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 04:30:36 PM »
cool, in terms of changing between 2 and 4wd whilst moving, i've only done that after reading that silly bit of instructions next to the gear stick. It just states with the front wheels straight, you can pop between 2 and 4wd without the need to stop. This is just one of the problems i found and thought it could help to lead to an easy answer from you guys...

The idea of one or maybe both of my CVs is sounding more and more likely to me, i have access to a carlift in a workshop in a few days, so i'll give your idea a try then.

Where can i purchase new CV joints? somewhere over the net perhaps? Or is it the sort of thing i have to grab off another vitara/sidekick? And does anybody make stronger ones which will fit in as stock? without the need to adapt everything over? Obviously i'm aiming to more suspension lift and larger tyres, which would only put more and more strain on them.....

Thanks
Andy
UK Vitara - 2" spring/shock spacers, 3" calmini body lift, 32x11.5x15" BFG MTs, rear half calmini exhaust/no cat, full Alpine ICE

http://www.andycolver.co.uk

Offline wezzlegod

• under construction crowler
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 07:29:42 PM »
Thanks again for the response! :)

Still with all your suggestions i'm not 100% sure which part is broken, but a big thanks for all your help guys! I think my best bet is to take it to someone in the know locally, and go from there.

One last question tho, if it is the CV joints, i hear of many breaking all the time, is there some 'better than standard' ones i can replace them with?

Andy :)

ive never hade a problem with new cvs its when thay have a few years on them when thay start breaking the weekest part is the axel shaft inside the frunt 3rd carier ive broken 2 of those also auto locking hubs can be broken easy you might want to go to manual hubs
black 89 sidekick toyota 22re L52 5speed trans w/ duel t cases. toyota axles w/coil springs 4 link double triangle 3 link front, 5.29 r&p, lockers ,35x12.5 tires, rock rails ,custom plate steal bumpers, killer xm sounds ext ext ext

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 04:57:44 AM »
[quote author=skandy32 link=topic=12599.msg117710#msg117710 date=1150668934actually you can ... the "auto hubs" can be fooled into locking if you lift the wheel off the ground and spin the CV forward fast enuf

Probably not, over here the early Vits only had a cap over the end. FWHs were introduced in later years.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 03:53:30 PM »
[quote author=skandy32 link=topic=12599.msg117710#msg117710 date=1150668934actually you can ... the "auto hubs" can be fooled into locking if you lift the wheel off the ground and spin the CV forward fast enuf

Probably not, over here the early Vits only had a cap over the end. FWHs were introduced in later years.

you mean a driveflange tah basicly acts as a permanately locked hub? I was going to mention that in case you were talking about something esle.. my 2000 GV has the drive flanges and so does my grandpa's 04 XL-7 so manual hubs will only reduce some wear on CV's on these vehicles as fas as I know
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 08:14:44 AM »
you mean a driveflange tah basicly acts as a permanately locked hub? I was going to mention that in case you were talking about something esle.. my 2000 GV has the drive flanges and so does my grandpa's 04 XL-7 so manual hubs will only reduce some wear on CV's on these vehicles as fas as I know

Yeah, thats it, I don't know when FWHs were introduced as an OE fit over here, I have seen 92 models without them.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 01:50:33 AM »
yea, I've only seen them on 99 and up models
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.