Hello Guest

Lost timing?

• 8 Replies

Offline raydel

Lost timing?
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:58:51 AM »
PULLED HEAD ON MY '87 SAMMI, FOR GASGET & VALVE SEALS

BACK TOGETHER NOW IT'LL ONLY TURN OVER.

GOT SPARK GOT GAS ADJUSTED DISTRIBUTER TO #1 PLUG WIRE WHILE AT TIMING MARK.

WHAT AM NOT DOING.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: Lost timing?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:38:48 AM »
You're 180 degrees out on the cam timing. Try pointing it to no 4 instead.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:00:50 AM »
If you have the spark plug wires back on as they were before you removed the head, you need to open the timing belt cover, remove the timing belt  and turn the camshaft EXACTLY 180 degrees clockwise from where it is now.  Re-install the timing belt and everything will work.

The thing to remember is that the crankshaft turns twice to every turn of the camshaft.

Following the various manuals, they will tell you to make the arrow marks on the cam and crankshaft point up, which is correct. 

Sometimes the camshaft has two "arrows" - or you try setting the crank and camshafts so the arrows point at each other (up and down) via instructions in some voo-doo BS Internet post.  The result is that the camshaft ends up 180 degrees off.  The lazy fix for this is to re-wire the sparkplugs 180 degrees out to compensate.  Bogus idea in my opinion...  EDIT: (sorry Rhinoman)  The right way cuts down on confusion down the road when you have to work on the engine again...

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 11:06:00 AM by ack »
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 12:10:35 PM »
The lazy fix for this is to re-wire the sparkplugs 180 degrees out to compensate.  Bogus idea in my opinion...  EDIT: (sorry Rhinoman)  The right way cuts down on confusion down the road when you have to work on the engine again...

Hope this helps!

Thats true but swapping the leads or timing it to no 4 will confirm that that is the problem before you pull the timing belt again.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 04:23:16 PM »
The lazy fix for this is to re-wire the sparkplugs 180 degrees out to compensate.  Bogus idea in my opinion...  EDIT: (sorry Rhinoman)  The right way cuts down on confusion down the road when you have to work on the engine again...

Hope this helps!

Thats true but swapping the leads or timing it to no 4 will confirm that that is the problem before you pull the timing belt again.

Dang it!

You are right again!

Can you help me pull my foot out of my mouth?????   ;D
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline RGERBER

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 05:40:04 PM »
I am having thae exact same proplem, did you check your centrifugal advancer- gently turn your rotor clockwise it should spring back.. mine will not. i am going to check my spark soon as someone gets home.

let me know i am wondering if i need a new distributor
94 SUZUKI SAMURAI / 1.6 8 VALVE TRACKER MOTOR.

Offline RGERBER

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 06:10:50 PM »
I HAVE SPARK.. SO I SWITCHED THE # 1 PLUG WIRE WITH THE # 4 WIRE- HAD TURNED THE DISTRIBUTOR A LITTLE AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP.

THE ROTOR WAS POINTING JUST A TAD LEFT TO # 1 SO THATS RIGHT- THAT MEANS THE TIMING MARKS ON THE CAM AND CRANK ARE OFF - NOWAY I DOUBLE CHECKED

WINDOW LINE WAS ON TDC CRANK WAS ON TDC AND CAM WAS ON TDC AND CAMLOBES ON # 1 were closed.
94 SUZUKI SAMURAI / 1.6 8 VALVE TRACKER MOTOR.

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 04:56:22 AM »
THAT MEANS THE TIMING MARKS ON THE CAM AND CRANK ARE OFF - NOWAY I DOUBLE CHECKED

Its a Zuk thing, I don't know why but this happens so many times.

Offline raydel

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 04:12:10 PM »
yep it was all jacked up

got to the point of  starting all over then used all the advise given here & and she cranked up just fine

thanks guys