Hello Guest

starter options for 16v. are there more than one type? I need solenoid moved

• 11 Replies

Offline Jluck

I would like to find a starter with the solenoid on top of the starter instead of hanging out away from the block to make room for my turbo's exhaust? any ideas or suggestions? thanks

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:04:05 PM by Jluck »
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

hey what about remote mount solenoid/ i hate to say it but fords have the solenoid on the inner fender.. i think they have the plunger for the gear on the starter body but the power source moved.. would help eliminate heat problems???

Offline BRD HNTR

I seem to remember the 2.7 V6 starter has solenoid above starter, but lots of motors do.  Getting the right tooth pattern with the right bolt pattern is the problem.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Jluck

I will check out a v-6 starter. Does anyone know if there by chance interchangeable? Eric?

Offline hialtitude

My 1.6 - 8V has the solenoid on top. I have no idea what tooth count is or if it will interchange.
Helping move this country to its next fuel source by burning as much petroleum as I can!

Offline Jluck

good lead, thanks, anybody else? maybe have a 8v starter pic?

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
I will check out a v-6 starter. Does anyone know if there by chance interchangeable? Eric?

I don't think they are... but that's a SWAG.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline hialtitude

I put a 16v starter from a 1996 1.6 on my 1991 1.6 8v on today. The solenoid was off to the side like yours. It fit perfect. I think if you can find a working starter from an 8v you'll have what you want.  The solenoid is bad on my 8v starter, you'll have to check if the solenoids will swap out. 

I was at U-Pull_and_pay today and the only 8v Tracker they had already that the engine assembly taken. If there is one of these yards near you they post their vehicle inventory online.

Good luck!
Helping move this country to its next fuel source by burning as much petroleum as I can!

Offline Jluck

thank you!

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
good lead, thanks, anybody else? maybe have a 8v starter pic?

All the 16V and 8V starters I have seen have had the solenoid on the side.  If it is on top, maybe it is an aftermarket starter or something.
Here is a pic of the 8V/16V type starters that I have/have seen.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

JLuck

If it is a exhaust pipe heat issue then why not wrap the turbo pipe in header tape? I have done this many times where heat was an issue, you should be able to get the header tape from speed shops or summit racing.
You might also try a shop that rebuilds starters and see if they can build you a starter that will fit your needs
Hope this helps

Mojave Desert Rat

Offline Jluck

JLuck

If it is a exhaust pipe heat issue then why not wrap the turbo pipe in header tape? I have done this many times where heat was an issue, you should be able to get the header tape from speed shops or summit racing.
You might also try a shop that rebuilds starters and see if they can build you a starter that will fit your needs
Hope this helps

Mojave Desert Rat

its a clearance issue rather than a heat soak concern, I can make it work as is but if theres a better way I would like to do it now. thanks though.