Hello Guest

transfer case fluid level

• 4 Replies

Offline kamaca

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
transfer case fluid level
« on: September 24, 2007, 03:39:45 PM »
went to check transfer case level. removed upper plug and got about 22 oz. of fluid. removed drain and got an additional 20 oz. of fluid. truck had set about an hour after a half hour drive. fluid was warm not hot. haynes manual calls for 27 oz of gear oil for my 1988 samurai not the 40 plus oz. i drained. over fill or expansion ???

thanks

pete

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
Re: transfer case fluid level
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »
Alot of people fill thru the shift tower and guess without checking by pulling the side check  plug. Probably overfill. A little overfill isn't bad but that seems excessive. Not sure. Maybe it forces fluid out the seals a bit. Assuming you drained it when it was cool but still you shouldn't have got that much out. If your case is still quiet, it probably didn't hurt anything. Or maybe they thought it was noisy and added something to make it quiet when it was already full.
-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline kamaca

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »
adam,
thanks for the input. my reason for checking the level was that the t-case developed a slight whine, nothing too serious yet . have owned the rig for about 2 years so it may be that prev. owner overfilled. now has correct level of fresh lube (still has whine) so i will have to keep an eye on it.

thanks again

pete

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 06:29:06 PM »
Not to insult your intelligence, I have a reason for asking this, but what lube are you using?  Trackers/Kicks get 75w90 gear oil in the t-cases.

Reason I ask is that the prior owner of my Kick was complaining of a whine from the drivetrain when he sold it.  I discovered it was VASTLY overfilled with ATF instead of gear lube.
Drained it all out, filled it with gear lube to the fill plug, drove it around some more, drained it again, refilled it with gear lube and all is well now.

Offline kamaca

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 03:35:52 PM »
fluid i drained was not atf. looked and smelled like gear lube. thanks