Hello Guest

Idle Problems

• 1 Replies

Offline Fordota

Idle Problems
« on: December 13, 2008, 03:19:49 PM »
Hey guys, I just changed a timing belt on an 88 sami. Then I went to time it. I tried to set the idle (that was too high) and I cant get the POS to idle under 1200. I had everything off so as to not trip the idle up sensor. What is happening is the Idle Up Actuator always ends up pushing the throttle open until its at 1200 rpm. I unhook the vacuume from it and set the idle at 800 and time it at 10*. Then hook it back up and it creeps and then holds at 1200 again. I have adjusted the springed adjusting screw that is by the one that touches the dashpot (not the idle one, and not the one that actually makes contact to the Idle Up Actuator plunger, I can not find reference to it in the FSM) It move the throttle lever further away from the IUA plunger. nothing I do can get the IUA to not increase the throttle to 1200 RPM.

It seems to me that my Three Way Solenoid Valve (TWSV) must be bad. Because if I understand this correctly I think the IUA plunger should not enguage the throttle unless the heater fan, lights, etc are on when idling.

Also I dont think this pertains, but just incase- my rig uses a good amount of oil which is why I think it wont take much timing (well under 10*)

Please help me make sense of this!
 ???
Dustin

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: Idle Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 05:45:30 AM »
I would start by double checking the cam belt timing.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org