Hello Guest

I purchased my first Suzuki today!

• 9 Replies

Offline Sammy N Austin

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
I purchased my first Suzuki today!
« on: August 22, 2006, 01:56:53 PM »
Today I purchased my first Suzuki, a 1988 Samurai Convertible. It is totally stock with 93,000 miles. It drives well, cruises at 70mph, tracks and brakes straight and has no rust. It shifts well and 4WD LO and HI seem to function correctly. Even the aftermarket radio works. The body and frame is straight. The state inspection is good for a few more months.  :)

Of course it has some issues. :(

The paint is fair with some oxidation on the hood and the clear coat peeling off on the front bumpers. Hopefully it will polish up OK. It needs a new convertible top. The driving compartment is covered but the top is split along the frame over the tailgate. The AC is not working. The check engine light is on intermittently. The battery is almost 7 years old. The front and rear bumpers are a bit dented. 

I took it to the local Just Brakes and they took the wheels off and gave it a free visual inspection. The rear brake shoes were 100% but one of the wheel cylinders were leaking. The front brake pads were 10% on the left and 20% on the right. They said the left front hub had a little to much play in it- perhaps a bearing problem? The  rotors can probably be machined. The mismatched all weather tires have good tread left but are starting to crack from age. One of the shock absorbers appeared to be leaking a little and they recommended replacement of all four. They seem to be absorbing the shocks alright to me though. The sides of the seat upholstery are wearing through but the seat facings are in great shape.

I think to start with I will replace the battery, the front pads, the wheel cylinder, and the top.

I plan on using this vehicle at my deer hunting lease and keeping the vehicle there most of the time. Its about an hour from where I live in Austin, Texas and about 30 minutes from the nearest town. I want to make sure its in good shape and reliable so that I won't get stranded at the far end of the ranch on a narrow rocky trail.

I would appreciate any opinions on a good checklist to prepare my Samurai for the trails. For now I am going to try to stay fairly stock and not do a lift kit. The trails at my lease are not nearly as bad as some of the places I see on this sight.

What is the deal on these Optima batteries? Will they stay charged longer than a Diehard?
Where can I get a rifle rack for a Samurai? Who makes the best replacement top? Where is the best place to get a sevice manual? Are there any good books about modifying Samurais?

I have been lurking on this sight for a while. It got me fired up to search out and purchase my Samurai. I am really looking forward to getting it out on the trails. ;D
88.5 Samurai Soft Top
97 LX450

Offline strvger

• Livin' on the edge... of the Great Northwoods !!
Re: I purchased my first Suzuki today!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 08:23:58 PM »
hi, and welcome. 

i'd go with the Yellow Top Optima/marine starting.  it's a combination start/deep cycle battery and should do well in your situation.  much better than the Die Hards.  i'll be getting one myself before winter arrives here in northern Minnesota.
just search this site for FAQ's re: build-ups/mods for whatever interests you.  also lots of info re: which top is best... the really cheap ones on eBay or the more expensive brand name ones (Bestop, etc.)  good luck and have fun!!!
'91 tracker, 1.6 8v 5-spd, 1.5 in susp lift,  DT header and 2 in exhaust, 235/75 AT's on 15x7 Turbines, 1st prototype: Ibuiltbumpers.com trackick front bumper!,  other mods coming soon!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:48:58 PM »
Hawk Suzuki is a great place to get the Factory Service Manual's from, as they almost always have some in stock.  Otherwise you can find them on E-Bay sometimes.  Hawk Suzuki is also a great place just to get spare parts in general.

No idea on the Rifle Rack, but you should be able to modify something to mount off the rear roll bar rather easily.

You can pick up some 225/75R15 (Around 28") Mud Terrain tires rather cheaply, that should be more then enough to help you get around on the trails.  Even some nice All Terrains would probably be more then enough.  If you want to make sure you don't get stuck, spend 400 or so on some lockers.   :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Sammy N Austin

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:57:45 PM »
Today I had all the fluids changed-engine,transfer case,transmission, and rear end. I also installed an Optima Yellow Top battery and new windshield wipers.

I talked for a while with William at Hawk. He was very helpful and I am sure to be placing an order there soon. Does anyone have any experience with the $270 convertible tops that they sell?

My clutch seems to engage very near the top of its travel. Is this normal? Are there any adjustments that can be made? I have not noticed any slippage yet.

William said that they are out of service manuals and referred me to suzukipitstop.com where he says they cost $122.

Does any one know of a good shop or technician in Austin, Texas who is familiar with working on Samurais?
88.5 Samurai Soft Top
97 LX450

Offline josh

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 07:10:31 PM »
I dont no what you bought your sammy for but mine dosent have ac at all and when im driving it on the road or trail i dont miss it and they rob a lot of power from an already weak motor. mine does not have it from factory you might not need it. they are so much fun and all your jeep buddies will be enviouse of how you can go where ever you want. THEY ROCK! Good luck finding your parts.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:17:48 PM »
Welcome aboard Sammy N Austin
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline Sammy N Austin

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 09:46:07 PM »
Josh,
My main purpose for the Samurai is to keep at the hunting lease. During  hunting season in Texas(Nov-Jan) I wont need AC. If I was using it as a daily driver I would need it. This August here in Austin we have had about 20 straight days of 100+ temperatures. :P

I have to admit though I have been pretty comfortable the last 2 days driving it arond town with the windows open and the back totally open. Pretty good flow through that way.  :)

My daily driver is a 97 LX450.It is pretty good off road but too big for the narrow trails at the lease.

This season I want to make sure everything is reliable. Next season maybe a lift kit, aftermarket bumpers, a winch, header, exhaust, Weber carburetor, etc. :-\
88.5 Samurai Soft Top
97 LX450

Offline kirknd4spd

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 10:10:52 PM »
sounds like a good plan. suzuki makes great inexpensive vehicles that are usually much more capable than anything else on the market, mainly because they are so small and light. as for the gun rack, it would probably be a lot easier to just make your own, and you could mount it anywhere it will fit. good luck with your new project!
89 Sidekick - 2 door soft top, 1.6, auto, 4x4, 3" suspension lift, 31x10.50's on 15x8 Mickey Thompsons, long tube header

Offline Sammy N Austin

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 08:07:58 PM »
I installed my new top today. It is from Specialty Tops of Denver. It is black denim with tinted plastic windows. The quality is excellent and fit well. I could not fasten the last snap on both sides near the tailgate. Perhaps after it sits in the sun a few days. Included were several extra male snaps to screw on the body. I can always add these if I need a little extra slack. My Samurai now looks 110% better without the worn out top.

Tomorrow the shop will rebuild the brakes!

I am now considering what to do about  timing belt,tires,clutch,clutch cable,O2 sensor,inner door panels, seat covers, gun rack, and Old Man Emu springs and shocks.
88.5 Samurai Soft Top
97 LX450

Offline takai

• Yes, I drove that here. And No, it's not done!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 09:14:37 AM »
I installed my new top today. It is from Specialty Tops of Denver. It is black denim with tinted plastic windows. The quality is excellent and fit well. I could not fasten the last snap on both sides near the tailgate. Perhaps after it sits in the sun a few days. Included were several extra male snaps to screw on the body. I can always add these if I need a little extra slack. My Samurai now looks 110% better without the worn out top.

I had the same problem with mine. After they stretch for a while then they should snap just fine.
87 Sammi "Sir Tweak " Rockcrawler 4:1, Mighty Kong , 1.6 16V, Centerforce II, 2" Exhaust, Esteem seats. - Long gone
97 Tracker "Jezebel"  Bone Stock DD

'Cause, I am to misbehave.