Hello Guest

How many people tow a Camping Trailer?

• 23 Replies

Offline rivetc78

Re: How many people tow a Camping Trailer?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 06:27:43 PM »
Ya I know, it sounds ridiculous but I've been googling this for a couple of hours and every single spec I find for a UK Vitara says 1500 lbs towing without trailer brakes and 4000 lbs with tralier brakes.  Am I missing something?

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 06:30:44 PM »
Ya I know, it sounds ridiculous but I've been googling this for a couple of hours and every single spec I find for a UK Vitara says 1500 lbs towing without trailer brakes and 4000 lbs with tralier brakes.  Am I missing something?

perhaps it was the Grand Vitara

Offline pepatt

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 07:31:50 AM »

No, that makes sense - in a way.  :-\

Stopping is the biggest safety issue. Many vehicles pull a trailers much heavier than the vehicle itself. The problem becomes being able to stop it in a sure distance. The Trackers/Vits  have a solid rotor (not ventilated) so under load it will be prone to overheat, fade, warp and all kinds of other nastiness. With trailer brakes the trailer does some of its own stopping work, putting the braking force on the tow vehicle back to the level it has under the rating for a trailer with no brakes.

I'd say you'll have a hard time finding a light weight trailer (under 2500lb) with brakes.

All that said, there are basically two things to look at;

1. Towing capacity
2. Tongue weight

Even if the specs say you can pull 4000lbs with the Vit, I wouldn't. The vehicle is just GROSSLY underpowered for that load. You'll never get over 40 mph and your mileage will be cut by two-thirds. I could pull my fifthwheel weighing 8000lbs with my full-size Chevy and get WAY better mileage!

Also, when you get heavier in trailer, you get heavier in tongue weight. You really have to watch this if you enjoy steering! With the short wheelbase and VERY short distance from axle to hitch, you're going to get bounced around real easily.

It's a matter of the right tool for the job. If you've got a heavy camper, tow it with something capable. If you want to camp with the Vitara, compromise on the camper.
You'll enjoy life more... and possibly longer!  ;D ;D

pepatt

Offline schaney

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 07:54:04 AM »

Gen-erix, the tent is almost a queen bed wide and 8' long.  It can hold 650 lbs.  It's normally my my wife and me with a couple of border collie sleeping at the end.

Scott Chaney
Owner www.compactcampingconcepts.com
Trailer Supported Adventuring expert

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »

Gen-erix, the tent is almost a queen bed wide and 8' long.  It can hold 650 lbs.  It's normally my my wife and me with a couple of border collie sleeping at the end.

thanks
that number is perfect for my needs

although now you got me thinking
how do you know it can hold 650 and not 700? 
 >:D

Offline rivetc78

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 07:51:08 PM »
Ya, you're right Gen-Erix, thanks for bringing me back to my senses.  I think I might pick up a used full size pickup for cheap somewhere and use it for my heavy towing needs.  Towing that heavy with my Vitara will probably shorten it's life considerably.

Oh well, it was interesting seeing everybody's opinion on this subject.

Offline schaney

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 06:38:16 AM »
Gen-Erix, I'm sure it's like any manufacturers rating, there is some safety margin figured in  ;D
Scott Chaney
Owner www.compactcampingconcepts.com
Trailer Supported Adventuring expert

Offline Reddog1

• 1991 EFI
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 11:32:37 AM »
I do not rember where I got this photo, but I thought it was a real nice trailer. I think it is in New Zeland.

Wayne

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:35:10 AM by Reddog1 »
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 4:1 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15 , 8"x 2-1/2" BS wheels Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker