Hello Guest

How many people tow a Camping Trailer?

• 23 Replies

Offline schaney

How many people tow a Camping Trailer?
« on: April 17, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Here are some pic of my Explorer Box Camping Trailer.  Weighs about 400 lbs dry so it doesn't strain my Tracker to much.

What kind of camping trailers do others pull?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:00:06 PM by schaney »
Scott Chaney
Owner www.compactcampingconcepts.com
Trailer Supported Adventuring expert

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
Re: How many people tow a Camping Trailer?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »
I pull heavy trailers all the time with my zuks no problem.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:58:15 PM »
Did you buy it or build it?

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 03:12:53 PM »
I tow a roughly 700 lb 1963 Nimrod camping trailer with my Tracker. On the flats it's fine, in the mountains I can really feel it. Definitely keeps the turbo spinnin'.  Wanted to post a picture but the file was " too big." Photo's of trailer ay www.flickr.com/photos/bentparts.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline rivetc78

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »
I was wondering this question myself.  I have an '02 Vitara 4cyl auto and regularly pull a utility trailer with my ATV on it.  The setup weighs about 1000lbs.  Seems like I could pull much heavier.  I am looking at purchasing a camping trailer but there's nothing decent under 2000lbs.  How adverse would it be if I pulled 2500lbs or more with my Vit?  I see PT Cruisers pulling Airstreams so I'm sure you can go over the manufacturer's spec, right?  I've also heard that the European models can tow more.  I wonder why?

Any thoughts?

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 08:05:51 PM »
We tow a 1966 Apache Buffalo Mesa with our Tracker.  It weighs about 800 lbs empty and probably just short of 1K with our equipment.  It tows very well on the prairie, and struggles a bit in the hills, but does pretty well overall.  The Apache is very well made, but it takes a bit of muscle to set up because it uses a lever system to raise the roof, rather than a spring or crank setup.

Last summer we stripped the woodgrain vinyl off the trailer and did matching paint on the camper and the Zuk.

If you go over to apachepopups.net, there is a guy that has one just like this one for sale.  I think its in Arkansas.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:08:00 PM by jzap »
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Offline kozaz

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »

What kind of wheels are on your tracker? Do you know the size of them?  They look great!

phloop

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:27:01 PM »
I tow a 29' Wilderness TT. But I do that with a QC DRW Cummins. :laugh:

Offline bentparts

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 04:23:35 AM »
I tow a 29' Wilderness TT. But I do that with a QC DRW Cummins. :laugh:
   Man, I need a rig like that to tow both my units!

Offline schaney

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 10:02:31 AM »
Jzap, I like the matching trailer

Yankee-Tim, Mine is a home-built, I've had some many people like it, I actually wrote a construction manual for building one, check it out at Compact Camping Concepts
Scott Chaney
Owner www.compactcampingconcepts.com
Trailer Supported Adventuring expert

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 02:12:13 PM »
Jzap, I like the matching trailer

Yankee-Tim, Mine is a home-built, I've had some many people like it, I actually wrote a construction manual for building one, check it out at Compact Camping Concepts

i watched your video and browsed your site

and i think its a really good idea

how much can that tent hold?  (weight/people-wise)

Offline bentparts

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »
Jzap, the wheels are 15x7 with 3.5" backspace. They are a knock off of WELD wheels, I found them on ebay. The guy who makes them ( made them, they're gone now) had the centers and rims seperate. He made them to any backspace you wanted. They are VERY light, not paticularly suited for rock work ;), but I use them off road all the time. Just got to be careful. The best part is I paid $80 each. PS, Nice looking rig, like the matching paint. Did the same to mine, but gotta admit, I got the idea from you! 

Offline rivetc78

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
Ok, so I need some advice here.  I looked at the European specs for a 4 door, 4 cyl. automatic Vitara and they're saying it will tow 1850kg!  That's 4078lbs!  Why is the English Vitara capable of towing more?  Is it a different country safety laws thing?  I really need to figure this out because I am currently looking at purchasing the Jayco Baja tent trailer and it's specs require a 4550 GVWR vehicle.  I don't really care about the "gutless" factor, I'll stay in 3rd at no more than 100km/h on the highways.  I just don't want to destroy my Vitara.  Should I use a weight distributing hitch?  Any advice?

Offline bentparts

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 04:59:51 PM »
Ok, so I need some advice here.  I looked at the European specs for a 4 door, 4 cyl. automatic Vitara and they're saying it will tow 1850kg!  That's 4078lbs! 

That's got to be a misprint, same chassis, motor, drivetrain, etc, as the rest of the world, and ours are rated at 1500lbs. More than that and you wouldn't be able to stop it even IF you got it moving. Towing 4000 lbs with a Trackick/Vit is insane. The whole damn vehicle only weighs 2300lbs! Better have some seriously modified brakes and motor too.

Offline pepatt

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 05:33:26 PM »
...and ours are rated at 1500lbs. More than that and you wouldn't be able to stop it even IF you got it moving.

Not to mention if you hit the brakes in a turn you'd be jack-knifed in a hurry!  :(

I'd actually try to keep it around 1200lbs. just for peace of mind.
pepatt