Hello Guest

Hesitation in acceleration

• 10 Replies

Hesitation in acceleration
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
For some reason my samurai hesitates in acceleration. Even in neutral when i rev the engine it takes a bit to get up in the high rpm's.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
Re: Hesitation in acceleration
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:45:04 PM »
Start with your spark plugs, and checking your timing. What else have to checked - the more you can describe to us, the better.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline fuzzy1

• It's not about hair, it's about the logic
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »
Agreed, plugs wires cap & rotor 1st. If they're old it can only help. Check air filter too. What engine etc? Could be lots of causes ofc, but eliminate the easy 1's 1st.

Fuzz
'97 Sidekick Sport 1" spacer lift 225/75R16 Cooper AT's. Pioneer Sound, 14" Grant Steering Wheel.Otherwise mostly stock
'96 Tracker 1.6l 16v 3spd Auto 4x4 85k - 1 1/2" OME Lift BFG 235/75 AT's on Ion Alloy 15x7's - Pioneer Sound - Custom Installed Hydraulic Drivers Seat (Sold)

Non Illegitimi Conterat

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:52:43 PM »
Start with your spark plugs, and checking your timing. What else have to checked - the more you can describe to us, the better.

I have new plugs and wires thats about it.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:25:46 PM »
Cap and Rotor at the same time as the plugs and wires?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline mypocketsrfull

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:41 PM »
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/samengine.htm

Venturi Tube
If you are running a stock carbureted motor, you have a easily fixable problem. Suzuki should have put this part in from the factory but caught it to late. "...Samurais may exhibit a hesitation/flat spot, in any gear, when in acceleration from partial to open throttle." Your Samurai has or will have a flat spot in carburetor. When you are at an idle and you floor the throttle it will hesitate for a moment and then continue to rev up. That hesitation is what you want to get rid of. The reason for this is it causes a vacuum in the fuel bowl. This venturi tube catches some of the air coming into the engine and forces it into the bowl eliminating the flat spot. Super easy to install and only takes about 5 minutes.

Price: $11.00

i thought i was going to need to replace the carb because i was haveing so many problems with my beast, but turns out, the 11 dollar deelybobber saved me 400 bucks on a new carb. may not be your issue, but for 11 bucks, it would be cheaper than replaceing spark plugs, rotor, adjusting timing (though this costs you nothing, it is not as easy) etc. etc. etc.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »
I put a new rotor,cap,coil,and K&N. Its a 1.3L and still when i hold the pedal to the floor it just revs to 3000rpm and thats it wont go over 3000. Is this the kind of problem the venturi tube will fix?

Offline zuk4life

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 11:03:09 PM »
Strange double check wire routing and then timing, buy a gun if you have to its a good investment. The venturi tube is good addition but wont fix your problem. Could also be a clogged cat/muffler.

Offline Dimitros

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 01:28:07 AM »
If everything is new and OK, then check if your distributor's vacuum ignition retard working. When motor revs only to 3000rpm (2500 or 3500 rpm) it is about ignition.
95 Samurai, 1.3, high comp.pistons, ported/grinded head, 1.6 valves, bored intake, Solex carb, K&N air, MSD Coil-Blaster+MSD 8.5 wires+Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini Tri-Y heder, Cherry-Bomb+Bosal custom exhaust, GRS II 4.89 T-case, 3.92:1 R&Ps, Calmini 3.5" susp., 30" BFG ATs, AVM 538 hubs...

Offline norcalwreckchaser

• www.norcalwreckchasers.ning.com
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:34:42 AM »
I agree with Dimitros, check all of your vacuum lines, also their is a hose that runs from the intake to the intake manifold, it is about 4 inches long where the intake meets the carb down to the intake manifold, I had a similar problem and reconnecting this hose solved it.
Good Luck
86' Samurai, 5" spua lift, rear missing links, 4.57 gears, 4 to 1 Transfer Case, Lockrights F/R, ARB Front bumper, Doug Thorley Header, Rock Rails, GM alt. swap and other Misc. goodies.
Sold 7/10 :(

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
I agree with Dimitros, check all of your vacuum lines, also their is a hose that runs from the intake to the intake manifold, it is about 4 inches long where the intake meets the carb down to the intake manifold, I had a similar problem and reconnecting this hose solved it.
Good Luck

I checked the 4" long vacum line and it was ok but there was a small vacum line right beside that is missing i looked to see if i could find where it goes but no luck so i just put a cap over it. I started it up and let it run for a while and it seemed to get better. But i think the problem is the choke. The guy who owned it before me put a manual choke on it. He left all the vacuum lines for the original setup hooked up. When the truck is warmed up and i open the choke it idles up to about 3000rpm. Does anybody know how to setup a choke properly? Any help is appreciated