Hello Guest

Got some Power Back !!!!

• 6 Replies

Offline dingus

Got some Power Back !!!!
« on: June 14, 2009, 09:15:09 PM »
OK good news for me.
I got my timeing lite working and right away could see the mark (i asume its the right mark as it showed up clearly on the pully with the timeing lite)  were 1 inch at the left of the timeing marks.

like this
        IIIIIIIIIII
 ^

now i tryed to move the dist so the mark was at the 10 Dergeree like the book says but my tracker idles at about 1000 Rpm when warmed up and makeing the marks sit a 10 Degrees right in the middle of all them marks made it way Worse even less power it wouldnt even back up or go forward.
 Like below

IIIIIIIIIII
    ^

Anyway i moved the Marks to just at the frist mark of the marks and now have Power back. Not great Spinning tire power but Wayyyyyyy Better hill climbing power and alot better for sure!.

Its like this now

IIIIIIIIIII
^

So did my Belt jump a tooth  ???
 Im gona get a tune up in town tomorrow anyway tho it dont really need a Tune up might as well get one then they check everything and i know the timeing could be set up much better.

Did my belt jump a tooth?
 or the dist cap move?
The crank key way was Worked on 5000 KMs ago i thought it was 15,000 KM ago but found out it was 5000 kms.

The key way was worn there was slop back and forth so Mid island 4x4 had a special thing machined and a bigger key put in and it was all Locktite in place.
Im thinking this is where my Troble could be unfortunetly.  ::)

Being as i need a new Rad i might as well pull the timeing belt cover off and see what the hell they did.
The guy said they looked everywhere in b.C for a new crank but couldnt find one so they did some fancy machineing job.
It worries me now....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:18:29 PM by dingus »

Online fordem

Re: Got some Power Back !!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:42:31 PM »
Yes, the belt might have jumped a tooth - or if it's FI maybe you needed to jumper a plug to get the base timing set, or, you could still be having problems with the key/keyway on the crank.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline cmays03

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 04:51:42 AM »
my tracker is like this. the timing belt is right but it will not run for crap if I set the timing mark anywhere close to 10degrees so I just set it to were i get the best performance and left it there. its been like that for ever and no problems. I would say check the timing belt and if its right then just set the timing to where the motor runs the best.
95 geo tracker sas with dana 30,35 axles 3.55 gears, 33 tsl's, 3 and 4 link suspension. stock motor trans, tcase has 4.24:1 reduction kit.

Offline dingus

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 06:05:15 AM »
Well see what they say today at the shop.
I better tell them about that crank job and the posibliity of a belt jumping a tooth.
This Happened quite suddenly not over a long period of time.
About a week ago i noticed it.
 will have to pull the cover and looks at exactly what they did.
The 4x4 place has a good Rep and the owner drives works on Trackers alot.
I asked him on the phone he said he could not see it moveing.

I checked the crank bolt seemed tight.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:08:44 AM by dingus »

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:36:17 AM »
my tracker is like this. the timing belt is right but it will not run for crap if I set the timing mark anywhere close to 10degrees so I just set it to were i get the best performance and left it there. its been like that for ever and no problems. I would say check the timing belt and if its right then just set the timing to where the motor runs the best.

I'm not disagreeing with your final recommendation, but I will say this - if you cannot get the engine to run reasonablywell at the factory setting then something is out of whack - and the possibilities (timing wise) are all listed in my first post.

What you are doing is shifting the ignition timing to compensate for something being incorrectly set, and if that something is in any way related to the crank/camshaft pulley (damaged key, etc) or timing belt (out by a tooth) then your camshaft timing is also incorrect.

If you're happy with the way it's running then by all means leave it the way it is - but if the timing is in fact out (which I suspect it is), then you're losing power, and if it were my ride, I'd get it fixed.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline dingus

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »

I'm not disagreeing with your final recommendation, but I will say this - if you cannot get the engine to run reasonablywell at the factory setting then something is out of whack - and the possibilities (timing wise) are all listed in my first post.

What you are doing is shifting the ignition timing to compensate for something being incorrectly set, and if that something is in any way related to the crank/camshaft pulley (damaged key, etc) or timing belt (out by a tooth) then your camshaft timing is also incorrect.

If you're happy with the way it's running then by all means leave it the way it is - but if the timing is in fact out (which I suspect it is), then you're losing power, and if it were my ride, I'd get it fixed.

I agree with You!
 the mechinics in town said i gota pull my Timeing case cover off and see Whats up under it.
Either that Job the guy did on the crank has moved or the belt has slipped something is not right and im NOT happy with running it at 20 Degrees its supose to run at about 5 so off with the timeing cover.

Hope its just a belt sliped but somehow i doubt that.
The guy lock tited in the Crank Bolt to so i see fun times ahead if his Larger key way fix has moved.
More info Later.
I hope  ::)

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 02:10:17 PM »
As said previously EFI needs a jumper in the diagnostic plug before you can set the timing correctly. It may be that your keyway fix hasn't worked or that its not been done correctly and the marks aren't in the right place.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org