Hello Guest

Exhaust question

• 15 Replies

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
Exhaust question
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
Back at Gonzukin 2005, I watched Krusty the Tracker crawl it's way up a double-black diamond trail at Paragon that was giving more modified rigs fits. Then Krusty turned around and crashed it's way back down with little or no brakes, seemingly aiming for the rocks in an effort to slow down, until it made it to the bottom and the main access road through the park. Then with perfect comedic timing, Sean shut Krusty down, jumped out of the driver's seat and the big, shiney chrome exhaust tip went "tink" and fell to the ground. I still crack up when I think about it now.

Well, apparently I had a similar moment this afternoon in Silver. I was leading 2 other rigs through a nasty, rocky washout and when I pulled out of the trail onto the main dirt road and shut down, the entire muffler went "tink" and fell to the ground! The pipes in front of and behind the muffler were still intact and hanging innocently from their hangers, the muffler just managed to rip free of the pipes at both ends and chose the moment I shut the engine off to fall out. I didn't even realize until I looked because the engine noise didn't get loud since the muffler didn't fall until just after I shut it down. I did hear the sound of the muffler hitting the ground, which is why I even looked under the rig to begin with. The two trucks with me came up behind me and asked what fell out as I dragged the muffler out from under the trucklet.

Anyways, now I need to redo the exhaust again. ::) I know from previous experience with the Goblin that 2" pipe through a shorty turbo muffler works great, but is a little loud for my taste. The cat is already gone and Silver is running a Calmini Header. What I was wondering was what if I put on a cheapie cherry bomb/thrush type slip on coming off the header, then ran it to a shorty turbo muffler, would it be quieter than the turbo alone? Is it even worth doing? The people I run with most frequently all have quiet rigs and Silver was nice and quiet until the muffler fell off. Sometimes when exploring new trails, being able to run very quietly helps avoid a lot of trouble...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:02:40 PM »
You can probably get a 2" silencer to slip on in front of the muffler, that should quiet it down quite a bit.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:57:05 AM »
By 2" silencer are you meaning something like a thrush or cherry bomb tube-type glasspack muffler or something different? What I had in mind was one of the cheapie red tube-type glasspack mufflers in front of a shorty turbo oval can muffler...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 01:02:47 PM »
That should do it.  My old Eagle Talon had a small one in about the middle of the exhaust, right after the cat to help it quiet down.  You might be better served just trying out a larger muffler though, get your decibels lower in order to make it harder to hear.

Are you straight pipe out the back or are you pointed at the ground?
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 04:35:19 PM »
Are you straight pipe out the back or are you pointed at the ground?

Neither, I'm currently short straight pipe right off the header! LOL! Originally I was setup with the calmini header adapted into the factory exhaust system, then the cat got crunched and replaced with a piece of pipe into the factory muffler/tailpipe. Now the muffler fell out so Ijust have the piece of pipe coming off the header... LOL!

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »
Check out some resonators.  Sorta like a little muffler that doesn't do anything but act as a sound deadening cavity.

Several years ago a guy I worked with had a Dodge Voyager minivan.  The exhaust rotted out on him so he picked up a complete replacement system from the local parts place.  He decided to save a bit of money and skipped the resonator in favor of some pipe...
...the thing was louder than my Ranger with a Magnaflow muffler.  He took it down to a shop and they threw on a resonator and whalla, quiet again.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 09:44:53 PM »
HA!  Resonator... I knew there was a name for that thing!
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline whateverworks

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 05:45:16 AM »
If you are worried about exhaust volume don't go with the Cherry Bomb. I put one on my truck cause my driveshaft would hit the stock muffler at full articulation in the back.
I hate the noise... Barely hear my tunes at full volume at highway speeds.
Kelly

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 08:11:43 AM »
How long is the Cherry Bomb?  Mufflers get quieter as they get longer.  Mine has a 2" Cherry Bomb that's 21" or so at the ends and it's not bad.  You can make it loud by stomping on the gas but for cruising and idle it's not bad at all.

Not to mention if he's using the Cherry Bomb as a resonator than it's still going to help muffle the sound as the other muffler will be there as well.

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »
Yeah, that was the plan, use the cherry bomb as a resonator in front of an oval can muffler like a dynomax or similar...

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 01:00:36 PM »

That is what I nicknamed my  :-X ,umm, flower vase in college  ;D

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline whateverworks

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 02:56:45 PM »

Zig

Don't be afraid... It's called a BONG... HAHAHAHA!!
Kelly

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 05:11:59 PM »
Don't cherry bombs have a history of "hollowing out" over time? Something inside them wears out, and it looses it's effectiveness? Urban legend?
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 05:57:38 PM »
The fiberglass starts to degrade after a few years.  However at $25 a pop replacing a Cherry Bomb every couple years is no big deal.  The life span of most "normal" aluminized steel mufflers isn't much, if any, longer.

Part truth, part urban legend.  I know a guy with a set of 30 some year old Cherry Bombs on his car.  Still work, still there, still sound like dual Cherry Bombs.  Still red amazingly...the paint they used in the early 70's was better than whatever paint they use now. :P

Oh yeah, they don't flow any less or anything after the fiberglass "blows out"...they just are louder.  That's why some people purposely wash/freeze/hollow out their new Cherry Bombs.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 12:44:19 AM »

Zig

Don't be afraid... It's called a BONG... HAHAHAHA!!
Kelly

Are you sure he isn't refering to the man downstairs?  :P
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing