aftermarket tach

• 14 Replies

Offline sidekick 4x4

• sidekick
aftermarket tach
« on: October 10, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »
does anyone know the locations and colors of the wires to install a tach
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:40:54 PM by sidekick 4x4 »
1990 sidekick,snorkel, 2.5" coil spacers, procomp shocks and strut extenders, 3" calmini body lift, 30" A/T,CHEERY BOMB MUFFLER

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: aftermarket tack
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 04:20:52 PM »
What year and vehicle are you putting it on?

If it is Sammy the instructions are pretty solid about what to do.  You just put one end on the coil and flip the switch in back to 4.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

phloop

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 06:50:34 PM »
I think the first thing to do is get onto a horse board as you will not find too much info on tack here. :P

Now if your looking for info on a tach, read the directions of the tach you have. And as Drone posted, you put the feed wire on the coil, one to a ground  and one to a dash light source. As I have not installed one for a while I may be a bit fuzzy on that info but I think I got it right. Oh and if I remember correctly, the feed wire needs to go to the Neg. post on the coil.

Offline sidekick 4x4

• sidekick
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
its a 1990 sidekick and i dont have instuctions for it but i know what wires r what on the tach i just was wondering if anyone knew the colors of the wires, feed, lights, good ground and power so i wouldent have to mess with it and figure out whats what i was thinking the easyest way to do it would be just to tap into the wires behind the stock tach bc feed and power and alll that have to be there for that tach
1990 sidekick,snorkel, 2.5" coil spacers, procomp shocks and strut extenders, 3" calmini body lift, 30" A/T,CHEERY BOMB MUFFLER

phloop

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:24:52 PM »
Don't ask where they came from but here is the color code you are looking for. >:D   :-X

What Are These Colored Wires On My Tach For?

• Red = key on power supply

• Black = common chassis ground

• White = dash lighting power

• Green = tachometer signal for standard or electronic ignitions

• Yellow = used only on Internal Coil Magneto tachometers as the signal wire

• Twin Black = (looks like a lamp cord) is used on External Coil Magneto tachometers that use an inductive pick up (#5210)

• Gray = for tachometers that use a Hi/Lo shift light. When grounded, Lo shift light point is active. When ungrounded, Hi shift light point is active.

• Blue = used on Playback tachometers to start recording (see playback tachometer instructions)

Offline sidekick 4x4

• sidekick
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 07:30:32 PM »
im not sure but if i had to guess i would say no bc those kinda sound like the color codes off a tach no the acutull colors of the wires on the truck but thanks alot for the help

phloop

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »
I guess I'm out now as I have a Sammi so I can't help much. Think the wiring on a '88 Sammi would be the same as a '90 kick?

Offline sidekick 4x4

• sidekick
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 07:41:04 PM »
yea idk maybe

Offline brentd27

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 07:52:04 PM »
Well, Brown/white strip is the wire you need at the coil.  If you've got lighting on the tach, you can get one of the wires coming out of the dimmer.  (Power is supplied to the dimmer and the dash lights are on the ground side.) I think that is right, might have that reversed.  Just remember that I found the setup odd when I had to replace my burned out dimmer with a switch.

For ground, just find a good shiny screw or bolt.  For power that is on when the switch is on, tap into the blue wire coming out of the top of the fuse box.  Be sure to add an in-line fuse as that is the un-fused side of the radio power.

Offline sidekick 4x4

• sidekick
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 11:53:10 AM »
what do u mean at the coil is that the wire that sends the rpm signal

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 01:38:38 PM »
The coil should have 3 wires on it.  One to the spark plug, one to ground I believe... and one that tells it when to fire.  You simply plug that one into the tack and your done.  :)

Additionally - I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of horses when Tack was mentioned.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 01:41:21 PM by Drone637 »
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline sidekick 4x4

• sidekick
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 02:42:57 PM »
hahaha thanks, im very bad at spelling

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
Re: aftermarket tach
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 07:29:54 AM »
Here's the wire colors for a 1990 Sidekick.

12volts+ ~ white/green ~ ignition harness
Accessory+ ~ yellow/black ~ ignition harness
Parking Lights+ ~ red/yellow ~ light switch
Tachometer ~ brown/white ~ ignition coil

tracker8v4x4

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 10:10:41 PM »
i had a tach on my old tracker i had it hooked up to one of the wires to the distributer but i cant remember witch one

Offline Yoak

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 10:35:18 AM »
This is where a repair manual comes in handy.

Ive done it on several cars, its not to bad. One thing at a time.

The tach measures the signal from the Blaster Coil.

As mentioned above, the negative side. Which I want to say was a brown wire on my 93, but I would have to check.

Tachometer ~ brown/white ~ ignition coil

The next is to find a light source and tap off of it, the dimmer switch is great....I think I tapped of the light in the center console the first time I did it because I wasn't good at this kind of thing.

Parking Lights+ ~ red/yellow ~ light switch

And here is everything else you need

12volts+ ~ white/green ~ ignition harness
Accessory+ ~ yellow/black ~ ignition harness