Hello Guest

Advice on buying and/or building a Sammy

• 6 Replies

JillRide9

Advice on buying and/or building a Sammy
« on: August 15, 2007, 01:17:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I am thinking of becoming a Zuki owner and would appreciate any/all advice.  I have owned 2 Jeep Wranglers for off-road use but am now looking at the Zuki Sammy as a fun off-road toy.  I live in So. Cal (Irvine) and would mostly use it in the deserts (Death Valley, Anza Borrego), Big Bear, and Utah.  Nothing super gnarly and no real rockcrawling.  Just some fun off-roading with the kids/dogs. 

I have a couple of general questions to get started:

1.  Would you buy a built rig or stock?  I cannot do the mods myself so would have to find a shop in Orange County, CA to do it.

2.  When buying a Sammy what should I look for (or look out for!), any years better than others, mileage consideration, etc.? 

3.  Does anyone recommend a shop in Orange Country that can help with building a rig?  I live pretty close to Outlaw Offroad, anyone use them?

4.  How hard is the engine to work on and again anyone know of a reliable mechanic in Orange County  for the Zuki?

5.  What mods are the most import to make the Sammy trail worthy? 

Thanks a lot

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Advice on buying and/or building a Sammy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »
If your looking at a general wheeling rig I would consider a Tracker/Sidekick as well.  They have a little more power for those long runs, smoother suspension without modifications and more room inside.  But it's all a trade off somewhere.  :)

1.  Would you buy a built rig or stock?  I cannot do the mods myself so would have to find a shop in Orange County, CA to do it.
I would build a stock one, then do the mods you want.  However, there is nothing wrong with buying a built rig if it has all the parts you want.  Especially if your looking to avoid installing everything yourself.

2.  When buying a Sammy what should I look for (or look out for!), any years better than others, mileage consideration, etc.? 
The 88.5 and up have a lower range 5th gear and a bit smoother springs.  If you can find one of the rare 90+ ones I think they have fuel injection.  As for what to look out for, check the inside of the fenders for rust and such.  If possible check the compression.  Someone else will probably have a full list of common problems to check against.

4.  How hard is the engine to work on and again anyone know of a reliable mechanic in Orange County  for the Zuki?
They are pretty simple little engines.  One of the things that makes them so great, it's hard to kill the little buggers.  :)

Lockers!  A pair of Tracklocks with stock sidegears front and rear and some 28" tires and the Zuki will do some amazing things.  That is just my opinion though.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

phloop

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:59:18 PM »
My opinion is get the Samurai, not a track/kick as you are used to the Wrangler. Both the Samurai and the Wrangler have the same basic suspension, which is solid axle front and rear, the track/kick is IFS. You will be used to how a modded Samurai will handle.

Get a Samurai and have TrailToughs Wrangler spring swap installed, you'll have near the same ride you had in your Wranglers in a far more capable rig. (It's smaller) >:D

But....  You might/will need a couple of other "toys" to help with the 33" tires you can have on your Zuki after the lift.

Things like lower ratio axle gears and T/C gears. And maybe a 1.6 out of the track/kick which is not needed but the horsepower and torque from it is really nice to have.

And the list goes on from there.................... :o ;D >:D

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 11:46:22 PM »
Hi Jillride9...if  you will not be wheeling hard core...rock crawling or anything narly...you will find that a stock Sammy is quite capable of running desert trails and sandy washes. I fact stock Sams have been known to complete ( with a few scratches ) hard core trails. Small mods go a long way on a Sam...like slightly larger tires...Calmini shackle reverse http://calmini.com/ , a locker in the rear, and a good winch will take you and the kids out to the wilds and back. If you are not mechanical, going offroad alone is a BAD idea...so wheel with a friend  always.  Sams are mechanicly simple to most backyard mechanics. Many mechanic shops will tell you that Sams are hard to get parts for and some wont work on them. Call a local 4x4 club for advice on who to trust your Sam to. Go to Kragen Auto and buy a manual. It will be a big help....welcome to the board.

Offline Gary_Hill

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 12:39:56 AM »
You may find a freindly Suzuki owner here  http://www.oc4play.com/members.html and I'm sure they can steer you to good mechanic...good luck and let us know how your search for a Sam goes... :)

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 08:30:11 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I am thinking of becoming a Zuki owner and would appreciate any/all advice.  I have owned 2 Jeep Wranglers for off-road use but am now looking at the Zuki Sammy as a fun off-road toy.  I live in So. Cal (Irvine) and would mostly use it in the deserts (Death Valley, Anza Borrego), Big Bear, and Utah.  Nothing super gnarly and no real rockcrawling.  Just some fun off-roading with the kids/dogs. 

3.  Does anyone recommend a shop in Orange Country that can help with building a rig?  I live pretty close to Outlaw Offroad, anyone use them?

Thanks a lot

For the lighter exploration type wheeling you're planning I'd recommend a build similar to our project "GI Jane" vehicle.

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_020103/feature_gijane.htm

At Death Valley

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_020104/feature_socal_deathvalley.htm

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_040103/feature_deathvalley_wmovies.htm

Good Luck, Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

JillRide9

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 10:46:08 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  I am really leaning toward the Sammy over the Sidekick because I want to keep the rig as small as possible.  I was really wanting a Rhino but here in Cali you really need a street legal vehicle.  I always wheel with my husband along on his motorcycle so we can help each other out.  I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I just do not have time to build the rig myself.  I would much rather be out playing than working on the rig, and when I get home I have groceries, laundry, and the kids!

I will do some more research and see what I can come up with.  The Calmini factory is only 2 hours from our house so maybe they can help me with a build?? 

Thanks again and hopefully I can post some more info soon.

Jill