Hello Guest

97...tranny/4x4 porbs. what to do? took 30 hrs. to get 300 miles!

• 7 Replies

Offline synergy_58

Well, I just returned from Pensacola FL over the holidays and towed my son's x-'97 GEO Tracker back to Albuquerque, NM.  Because of the snow storms, road closures, and a flat U-haul trailer tire, it took me 30 hours to get from Amarillo, TX to ABQ, NM (normally 4 hrs); An experience I hope NEVER to repeat again in my life.  Anyway...

After the tranny started slipping, Nick (my son) bought another car and the track had been sitting in the gararge for the past 3-4 months.  I have around 2k of my money tied up in it, not to mention the $4500 he paid for it two years ago (6.5k).  I bought him a new 2-piece hard top (nearly 1k), gave him 1k for timming belt service, tune-up, brakes, tires, and to help with tag and tax cost when he bought it.  Now, I have it sitting in my driveway.

It needs, as best as I can tell, tranny work, 4x4 work and some minor odds and ends.  Otherwise it's in great running cond., looks good, and is (was) FUN to drive.

I can drive it a short distance but, once the tranny warms up, it slips when changing gears (3spd auto).  I tried the 4x4 in the snow yesterday, just around the block, and I heard this strange clunking noise while in 4Low, especially when turning the corner.  It seems to go in and out of 4x4 pretty easy and the hubs seem to lock in and out with ease but, the noise tells me something is definately wrong.  Duh!

So, where to start, what to do, how to do it, and finally and most importantly...is it worth it?

My wife and I really liked runnning around in it the few times we drove it, when it was right.  I wouldn't mind having a nice little 4x4 like this, for days when we need 4x4 to depend on, like now!  And, I could, little by little, get it fixed up but, it's extremely hard to find mechanic's to trust around here, even find.  And tranny shops around here, forget about it. 

I do have a general knowledge of cars.  I have a limited inventory of basic tools and can access a "do it yourself, auto hobby repair shop" at the Air Force base, where I can have access to a lift, tools and a base knowledge of experience from other 'shade tree' backyard type mechanic's for a small daily fee.  Of course it's more convenient to be able to do it at home, but...

Anyway,...I need your input, advise, suggestions, opinions, make a deal?, or just tell me off...I don't care.  Of course a good solid game plan with reasonable and workable guidance would be best, if that's an option.   

Thanks!

Offline locjaw

Re: 97...tranny/4x4 porbs. what to do? took 30 hrs. to get 300 miles!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 12:02:43 PM »
OFF  ;D

j/k man
fix it, keep it, wheel the crap out of it !!!!
if your patient, you should be able to come up with a tranny for a decient price. the clunking could be a hub (manual or auto?)or a CV/ shaft problem.
good luck
jason
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline kirknd4spd

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:48:10 PM »
my tranny was doing the same thing in my 89 (also 3 speed auto). i went to advance auto parts and got a tranny rebuild kit for $80. it is a fairly easy transmission to rebuild, and i rebuilt it in a day, with no knowledge of auto tranny's. i have no complaints...its working great.
89 Sidekick - 2 door soft top, 1.6, auto, 4x4, 3" suspension lift, 31x10.50's on 15x8 Mickey Thompsons, long tube header

Offline synergy_58

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:49:59 AM »
my tranny was doing the same thing in my 89 (also 3 speed auto). i went to advance auto parts and got a tranny rebuild kit for $80. it is a fairly easy transmission to rebuild, and i rebuilt it in a day, with no knowledge of auto tranny's. i have no complaints...its working great.

That sounds like a plan.  Did you use a manual, instructions or anything of the sort? 
I would love to be able to do the same thing. 

I've heard both sides of the coin from supposed professionals..."rebuild the one I have" and/or "get a good used one".  Who really knows whats best but, I think rebuilding the one I have and being able to do it myself, especially for that kind of money ($80.00) would be the ticket!

OFF  ;D

j/k man
fix it, keep it, wheel the crap out of it !!!!
if your patient, you should be able to come up with a tranny for a decient price. the clunking could be a hub (manual or auto?)or a CV/ shaft problem.
good luck
jason

Yeah, I really want to fix it, keep it, wheel the crap out of it!!!  It has manual hubs and they're pretty cheap to buy, so are the drive axles for that matter.  It's just knowing how to do it?

I need a good manual with good illistrations.  Yeap, that's what I need.

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 08:46:57 AM »
i know im stupid for saying

but hows the transmission fluid

(as my friends transmission really started to slip but
I found it he was more than a quart low due to an
unseen leak, topped it off and it works pretty well)

Offline synergy_58

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 08:56:10 AM »
Yeah, checked twice, cold and hot.  After a couple of miles, I can feel it take longer before it changes gears and then after 5-10 miles it starts slipping.

Offline kirknd4spd

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 11:47:09 PM »
i didnt use a manual when i rebuilt my tranny, but i did take pictures so i would know how it went back together. and if you get a manual, make sure you get the factory service manual. haynes and chilton manuals suck.  good luck!
89 Sidekick - 2 door soft top, 1.6, auto, 4x4, 3" suspension lift, 31x10.50's on 15x8 Mickey Thompsons, long tube header

Offline synergy_58

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:14:41 AM »
Yup...Haynes manual SUCKS!  Bought it yesterday and you are so right. 

PIC's, thats a great idea.  You don't still have the pic's do you?  Can you post them?

Where can I get a factory service manual w/the tranny section in it, I wonder?