Hello Guest

96 tracker spark plugs

• 55 Replies

Cuthulu

Re: 96 tracker spark plugs
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 09:09:19 PM »
Wow, everybody got all hot over a simple ignition thread.  ;)

kingzoo

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 08:32:50 AM »
   capacitors store energy for use during peak demand.The capacitor equiped wires like Nology do the same thing,and increase the spark output to the plug.

Offline ToyYoda

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 02:56:55 PM »
Thank you "kingzoo" I would have taken the time to spell it out but didn't consider others making a big deal out of a subject they apparently are unfamiliar with.As I said "He should check them out"! If someone presented that to me as a possible answer to my form post. I would check out "Nology" if thats what I wanted. Killing the messenger is just plain dumb! Some of us try to give advice on a subject we know something about. I think the internet is a breeding ground for people who want to act like they know something, even if they don't. The best we can do is "1st" help the member with advice/ tips/ deals..... ect. & try to get the same in return. "2nd" call dumb ( im being nice) dumb.

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 04:44:11 PM »
ok,so now  I'm "dumb" ...
But not so much that I'll drop over $100 for some "wires" where I've never seem some evidence that substantiates the claims.

If you are a succa that bought these "wires" then it aint on you to do so. The manufacturer should do this don't ya think?

Show some independent testing that substantiates their claims, and I'll eat crow.

Until then I guess *I* will be the one who is "dumb" (but didn't end up spending the $$$).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 07:14:29 PM »
The manufacturer should do this don't ya think?

Show some independent testing that substantiates their claims, and I'll eat crow.

I am just wondering, but did you check out the manufacturers website. I found a lot of documentation there, along with a shit load of testimonials from race teams who use the wires and love them.
Student of Now Master of Then

phloop

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 08:19:56 PM »
Thank you "kingzoo" I would have taken the time to spell it out but didn't consider others making a big deal out of a subject they apparently are unfamiliar with.As I said "He should check them out"! If someone presented that to me as a possible answer to my form post. I would check out "Nology" if thats what I wanted. Killing the messenger is just plain dumb! Some of us try to give advice on a subject we know something about. I think the internet is a breeding ground for people who want to act like they know something, even if they don't. The best we can do is "1st" help the member with advice/ tips/ deals..... ect. & try to get the same in return. "2nd" call dumb ( im being nice) dumb.

OK guy, can you explain something Nology seems to be unable to do on their site? How do these wires work? I did go check out their site and even if the wires do work as stated it seems like a lot of hype with no technical data to explain how the wires do their job. Like how do the cap's in the wires get their charge? The one drawing I saw showed a grounding wire but nothing more.

And besides, I was defending the MSD style box as you said they will fail in the offroad envirioment. They will if you buy the wrong box, if you buy the correct box a stated before it will last just as long as your fancy wires.

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 08:31:49 PM »
I guess this thread is similar to deciding whether to buy the $2 oil filter or the $12 filter.  People want to know why you should spend 5 or 6 times the price on something, and if it will really make any difference.

I'm going to keep an open mind about these $100 wires, but i feel no desire to go out and buy any.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

phloop

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 08:52:50 PM »
Those are not $100 wires, those are in the $160/170 range. And as no one has mentioned, you can only get them for the 8v engines. They do not make their wires for the 16v.

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 08:01:25 AM »
OK guy, can you explain something Nology seems to be unable to do on their site? How do these wires work?

http://www.nology.com/hotdetail.html

And as no one has mentioned, you can only get them for the 8v engines. They do not make their wires for the 16v.

The part number for the 16V wires is: D4YS

http://www.nology.com/apply.html

For those who are bashing this, I am curious, why are you so angry? You seem quite intent on insisting that these wires don't work without really knowing anything about them and seem unwilling to take the time to learn anything about them. This does not make much sense to me, maybe you could help me out with an explanation?

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 09:31:16 AM »
Well having read their explanation of how the wires give performance benefits I'm less than impressed. Their claim is that they gave a very short high power spark. This is similar to a Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI). CDI has been around many years and is generally only used on small engines with small combustion chambers. Car manufacturers still favour an ignition system that is pretty much an electronically switched 'points' type system which gives a longer spark duartion. This still seems to give the best performance. Combustion is not a big bang but a carefully controlled burn. The fuel air mixture is turbulent in the chamber and a long spark exposes more of the mixture to the spark. Those manufacturers that have used CDI use a multi-spark system to increase the effective spark duration.

You don't want the spark to ignite the fuel mixture sometime during it's duration, but at a precise moment, namely the recommended ignition timing

This above is probably the least convincing part of their argument. The recommended ignition timing is always degrees before TDC. It is before TDC because it takes some time (very small time!) for the burn to spread and for the pressure in the cylinder to build. The manufacturers recommended timing is calculated and tested so that the burn achieves maximum power without pre-ignition. If their claims of much faster burn were true then the increase in pressure in the early part of the burn would be pushing the piston back down the bore resulting in a power loss and excessive heat.

Manufacturers of conventional ignition systems though, want you to believe that it is possible to increase the power of ignition systems by lengthening the spark duration. This is not true! Lengthening the spark duration actually reduces spark power, as we already know P=W/t (Power=Energy/Time).

I don't think that any manufacturer actually claims this. The claim is that lengthening the spark duration increases the efficiency of the burn, as stated in my first paragraph. In fact inserting a capacitance will cause a loss of power because the capacitor will dissipate power (Xc = 1/(wC)).
Manufacturers have spent billions on improving power and efficiency so you have to assume that they have learnt a thing or two. Does anyone really believe that they've got it all wrong?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 09:32:51 AM by Rhinoman »
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2007, 10:39:55 AM »
Well having read their explanation of how the wires give performance benefits I'm less than impressed. Their claim is that they gave a very short high power spark. This is similar to a Capacitor Discharge Ignition (CDI). CDI has been around many years and is generally only used on small engines with small combustion chambers. Car manufacturers still favour an ignition system that is pretty much an electronically switched 'points' type system which gives a longer spark duartion. This still seems to give the best performance. Combustion is not a big bang but a carefully controlled burn. The fuel air mixture is turbulent in the chamber and a long spark exposes more of the mixture to the spark. Those manufacturers that have used CDI use a multi-spark system to increase the effective spark duration.

I agree this is a CDI system for vehicles which don't come with CDI. As for it only being used on small engines (as long as you consider a small block Chevy V8 a small engine) last I looked the engine in lil Suzy was fairly small.

You don't want the spark to ignite the fuel mixture sometime during it's duration, but at a precise moment, namely the recommended ignition timing

This above is probably the least convincing part of their argument. The recommended ignition timing is always degrees before TDC. It is before TDC because it takes some time (very small time!) for the burn to spread and for the pressure in the cylinder to build. The manufacturers recommended timing is calculated and tested so that the burn achieves maximum power without pre-ignition. If their claims of much faster burn were true then the increase in pressure in the early part of the burn would be pushing the piston back down the bore resulting in a power loss and excessive heat.

They are saying a large spark to ignite the mix is better than a small spark over a longer duration. This may be right or wrong I don't know but it would seem that once the burn starts it would continue on its own at least until  cylinder pressure drops or all the oxygen or fuel is used up. As for it causing preignition I would expect that you would want to re-adjust the timing after you have the wires installed.

Manufacturers of conventional ignition systems though, want you to believe that it is possible to increase the power of ignition systems by lengthening the spark duration. This is not true! Lengthening the spark duration actually reduces spark power, as we already know P=W/t (Power=Energy/Time).

I don't think that any manufacturer actually claims this. The claim is that lengthening the spark duration increases the efficiency of the burn, as stated in my first paragraph. In fact inserting a capacitance will cause a loss of power because the capacitor will dissipate power (Xc = 1/(wC)).
Manufacturers have spent billions on improving power and efficiency so you have to assume that they have learnt a thing or two. Does anyone really believe that they've got it all wrong?

I would have to agree with the statement above, by shortening the spark duration into a short high power discharge you are going to get a more powerful spark.

I also agree that the quote below is probably the best way to go.

Those manufacturers that have used CDI use a multi-spark system to increase the effective spark duration.

I wonder if these wires could be used with a Jacobs or MSD multi spark ignition? That could be a really powerful ignition
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:08:52 AM by sidekicksrock »

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2007, 11:18:31 AM »
Can someone contact the mythbusters and get them to test these things out, please.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2007, 12:30:23 PM »
Can someone contact the mythbusters and get them to test these things out, please.

That is not needed, everyone knows that capacitor discharge ignitions work, single and multi spark CDI ignitions have been around for years. This is just a new way of approaching the idea. Whether or not it is a good idea for anyone's vehicle is really a personal decision.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007, 02:00:46 PM »
I agree this is a CDI system for vehicles which don't come with CDI. As for it only being used on small engines (as long as you consider a small block Chevy V8 a small engine) last I looked the engine in lil Suzy was fairly small.

Over here a Chevy small block is a big engine! CDIs are usually found on smaller capacity motorcycle, boat and industrial engines, particularly mopeds and 2 strokes. On 2 strokes they seem more resistant to plug fouling. I got good gains on my 600cc single cylinder 4 stroke race bike by switching to an Inductive Discharge (conventional) set up.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2007, 02:58:03 PM »
I use the high density platinum wrapped translucent wires and gold electrode moonrock tipped plugs. My rig makes 400bhp, and gets 50mpg. NO shit, really.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER