Hello Guest

4x4 lockers

• 9 Replies

Offline Moallen

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
4x4 lockers
« on: March 27, 2005, 11:36:36 AM »
Hello,
        I put this post in the wrong place so please forgive me. My question is what is the best 4x4 front and rear lockers (reasonable price) for a 1987 suzuki samurai. Also do I need both front and rear for light 4 wheeling(not rock climbing)     Allen
1987 Samurai 32" front and rear lockers 1.6 engine spring over lift 512 gears
2005 dodge dually 4x4 diesel
98 Jeep
1989 34' Stamas twin 225
20' Sea Ark boat 1989 toyota (beater car)  two cobra kayaks 28ft classic car haul kubota L2900 tractor

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
Re: 4x4 lockers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 12:10:43 PM »
If you're not rock crawling and you just want to have some fun in the woods, you don't even really need lockers. With some nice tires and a little armor plating like some skid plates, you'll be amazed at where these trucklets can go! That being said, the cheapest lockers are welded gears(not too much fun on the road) followed by automatic lockers like lockrites(better on road than welded, but still makes funky noises and jumps a little) then the best option, but not the cheapest is selectable lockers like ARB's. These you can turn off on road and turn them on when you need them. I don't have any lockers in either of my rigs yet, but one of them will eventually have ARB's when I can afford them.
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline Moallen

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 01:25:37 PM »
Thanks Digger,
                      I think it would be nice to go with the ones you can engange when you need it, I also will put armor skid cover and a few other things.I am buying 2 samurais , one for the wife (mostly stock) and mine (tricked out).Money is not so much of a problem than making a truck that is reliable.I might even later go with a higher horse power engine, but i understand that is when you have to start beefing up alot of the drive train.
I don't know all that much about 4x4ing( I have had 8 atvs but that is not the same. Thanks again   Allen
1987 Samurai 32" front and rear lockers 1.6 engine spring over lift 512 gears
2005 dodge dually 4x4 diesel
98 Jeep
1989 34' Stamas twin 225
20' Sea Ark boat 1989 toyota (beater car)  two cobra kayaks 28ft classic car haul kubota L2900 tractor

Offline zutefisk

• yumpin yiminy yee viss
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 03:31:25 PM »
I agree with digger,
Lift it enough to put on some bigger tires, add some rocker protection. I get some tcase gears to compensate for the bigger tires and give you some crawling power. Then put in a rear locker/spool.

Unless you have Gov Arnold's biceps, you'll start shopping for   power steering a week or two after you lock the front.

87 Samurai

Offline Natebert

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 04:49:19 AM »
Hello,
        I put this post in the wrong place so please forgive me. My question is what is the best 4x4 front and rear lockers (reasonable price) for a 1987 suzuki samurai. Also do I need both front and rear for light 4 wheeling(not rock climbing)     Allen

I've used all types of lockers.

I like limited slips for light wheeling.  They seem to enhance the handling on most road conditions.  Snow, Mud, Ice, loose dirt/gravel.

If you find yourself on roads with deep ruts, or washes and often have your suspension all 'flexed' up, then a limited slip might not be the best answer.  As it won't provide enough traction.  I've found that a true locker would be better in this situation.

I like the ratching lockers such as 'Lock-rites' for these conditions as they do a great job of truely locking the axles together, however the down side is twisted splines, broken axles, etc.

I've recently found that selectable lockers seem to be best way to go if you need true positive engagement.  They are more expensive but offer the ability to turn them off when necessary and save axles and tires in the long run.

Tough choices.
Good luck.
~Nate
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 04:50:20 AM by natebert »

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 09:01:43 AM »
I have a 88 Samurai....
And I want lockers in the front, but not really interested in having them in the rear. Would straight lockers be okay for me... since I would only be turning on 4WD when I need it? What about the welded thing?

~J~
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 01:26:57 PM »
What is your reasoning behind wanting a locker in the front and not the rear???

That is a little backwards to tell the truth.
1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 05:02:26 PM »
What is your reasoning behind wanting a locker in the front and not the rear???

That is a little backwards to tell the truth.

I know it's best to have lockers in the rear, but... ARB is just way too much money, and I heard everything else is hard on the driveline (vehicle will spend 90% of it's life on paved road). I figured - if I'm not using the front diff (front wheel locks are off) then I won't have to worry about clacking gears, or chirping tires? So maybe lockrites ($230ish) or welds (free) in the front?

~J~
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 05:04:09 PM by Jeremiah »
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 08:42:22 PM »
In my opinion, if you do that route, you will  tear up your front end, asking so much of it, without a locker in the rear

A locker in the front is hard on componants as it is, and that is with a lockerin the rear already. Your joints (Birfields) are fairly weak,  also, do you have power steering? Cause you WILL want/need it if you add a locker to the front. I sure wouldn't weld them up on a stock sammy front.. but then again, I have friends that have, but not without some sort of locker in the rear.

I understand your reasoning, but you would be WAY better off saving for an ARB for the rear, IMO.
1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 09:27:27 PM »
In my opinion, if you do that route, you will  tear up your front end, asking so much of it, without a locker in the rear

A locker in the front is hard on componants as it is, and that is with a lockerin the rear already. Your joints (Birfields) are fairly weak,  also, do you have power steering? Cause you WILL want/need it if you add a locker to the front. I sure wouldn't weld them up on a stock sammy front.. but then again, I have friends that have, but not without some sort of locker in the rear.

I understand your reasoning, but you would be WAY better off saving for an ARB for the rear, IMO.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll avoid lockers in the front for a while. I want to keep the 1.3L as long as I can - even ordering a cam for her. Kinda doing this in three stages:

Stage 1 Light Upgrades - learn to wheel:
$300 budget for upgrading 1.3L
2" Calmini reverse shackle
28/29" tires?
Rear Lockers

Stage 2 safety / armor stage:
Upgrade brakes
Better roll bars / bumpers / nerf bars / skid plates etc

Stage 3 finishing touches:
31/32" Tires
Another 3" SPUA (brake lines / shocks / springs etc)
Some kind of gear reduction
1.6L Upgraded cam / FI (maybe even home brew turbo?)
Upgrade exhaust
Power steering

At least... that's the plan now....

~J~
'08 Yamaha FZ6