Hello Guest

2wd to 4wd conversión

• 4 Replies

Offline Trackercracker62

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
2wd to 4wd conversión
« on: December 30, 2019, 09:07:16 PM »
I have a ‘96 tracker, and would like to turn it into a worthy off-road adventure machine.
My plan is to convert it to 4wd, and upgrade the differentials for increased traction.
I’d also like to upgrade the suspension with a 2” suspension lift from Cal mini.
My tracker is a ‘96 with a manual 5 speed transmission.
I see from other posts that I can use the front drivetrain and drive shaft from any previous year tracker with a 3speed auto or 5speed manual.
The rear drive shaft will need to come from the same
I’m wondering if anyone has a picture of the front differential support bracket, so I can see if my tracker has it.
I’m also wondering if the calmini 2” suspension lift will be adequate.
If like to not make it too top heavy.
I appreciate any advice or links you pros can provide.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: 2wd to 4wd conversión
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 03:10:32 PM »
You will also need to swap out your transmission and add a transfer case. 

The best bet would be to find a 96 so you can get all the parts out from under it. I will ask a buddy of mine and see what all they needed to get to swap from 2wd to 4wd.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 08:39:56 AM »
I've done this conversion, some 2wd frames had the diff mount, but I believe that the CAMI built frames didn't have it, I had to weld on a diff hanger, its a fairly simple box that is welded to the frame, if you get underneath you should be able to see if yours has it, unfortunately I haven't been under a Track/Kick in so long, I can't remember what side it's on, but I think it's on the short side of the front diff, the other side has a bracket that bolts to the frame, some were 3 bolt, and I think later builds were 4 bolt, so you want to look for that
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
The best bet would be to find a 96 so you can get all the parts out from under it.
Maybe the best bet would be to find a 4WD and sell the 2WD...
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline JollyZuk

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 06:48:32 PM »
Just a thought...throw a lift on it, 31's.  Should have 5.12 gears already, but if it doesn't, get a set.  Low Range Off Road stage 2 clutch.  Locker of choice in rear.  Have yourself a fun little pre-runner-esque play toy.  And let it go at that.  Just from the feedback I have seen on this and other forums, avoid Calmini.  Low Range will treat you right.  Go with a 2" spacer lift from them, and maybe a 2" body lift.  Your best bet if you want to go 4x4 is to buy one.  An option is to find a 4x4 frame.  Since these rigs are full body on frame, you can pull your body and put it on a 4x4 frame.
1995 Sidekick JLX
16v 5 spd, milled head, LROR Stage 2 clutch
2" Spacer lift, XL7 rear springs,  2nd Gen front springs, W-Body GM Struts on front
OEM ROOF RACK!!!