Hello Guest

2.0 Timming chain problems

• 10 Replies

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
2.0 Timming chain problems
« on: June 22, 2006, 09:10:54 PM »
I thought this was disscussed before but my search came up dry.  :-[  What causes the timing chain failure? Is it the chain or the tensioner? Is their a fix for the problem? I think they are a zero tolerance motor. I just bought a 99 tracker with 86000 miles and a popped timming chain. I found a used motor with 110000 miles. I would like to be sure that the chain does not pop on this one so I figured I would fix this one before it pops the valves like the last one.     ::)

Mike
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
Re: 2.0 Timming chain problems
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:55:42 PM »
Mike, the timing chain issue tends to be a V6 thing with the No. 1 adjuster being the problem. The V6 gets an updated adjuster. I don't know if there is a similar issue with the 2.0 4cyl. There was Tracker TSB relating to lifter noise for the 2.0 4cyl that may be caused by oil drain down particularly on engines that have sat around for some time or had their lifters or camshafts worked on. The repair is to replace the lifters.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:52:14 AM »
Bobzuki said something about using only
5-30 weight oil to prevent stretch and failure
of the timing chain, but I'm not sure if it was
a V6 or a 2.0, he has like 5 of the little trucklets,
I think he's breeding them.   :o
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline cj

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 02:39:01 AM »
Bobzuki said something about using only
5-30 weight oil to prevent stretch and failure
of the timing chain, but I'm not sure if it was
a V6 or a 2.0, he has like 5 of the little trucklets,
I think he's breeding them.   :o

Use 5W-30 for both engine types.

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 04:41:51 PM »
Im not sure if its oil related. The guy I bought it from has all the records from new and its had the oil changed regularaly with synthetic blend 5w 30. It only has 86000 miles on it. The timing chain failed before it got its first brake job. ??? So is it a timming chain issuse or tensioner. Can anybody verify that it is a zero tolerance motor?

Mike

Offline Charlie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 06:37:50 PM »
I've read in one of the  Yahoo groups it's a well known issue with Suzuki in the US and the  tensioner part number was changed ? If it was Nissan they would have done a recall but not Suzuki apparently unless you know to complain and it's under warranty. The ticking noise from the tension is quite obvious if you what to listen for, if it doesn’t disappear fairly rapidly at startup its best for some preemptive action. 
Regards Charlie

Offline cj

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 01:04:33 AM »
  So is it a timming chain issuse or tensioner. Can anybody verify that it is a zero tolerance motor?

Mike

From what I can gather it is a zero tolerance motor. The J20A is also used in the Aerio (I think) in the US. Might be worth checking some of the forums.

Offline jason hutchison

• ZUKIWORLD Staff
    • ZUKIWORLD Online
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 04:10:48 AM »
Give  hawk a jingle. He has motors and so forth and knows quite a bit about them. He has the aerio sport motors which is a 2.3L... I saw one in his yard and was dreaming of droping that in my kick.

I was working a deal last year on a GV with a 4cyl blown motor (same thing blown timing chain that took out the valves) This person had regular oil changes as well. Hawk had low mileage motors for a good price. 

Later
Hutch

Offline ZeusZuki

• I like em low with big feet. New Zealand.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 12:14:13 AM »
Hi Mike,

I know for a fact that the timing chains have to be replaced at 100,000 km ( 60,000 miles ) as per the factory maintenance manual ( which is sitting in front of me ). It is the same for the V6 motors.

Here in NZ Coca Cola ( yes even us Kiwis have Coke  ;) ) use Zuks exclusively and they run the motors out to the max - the chains  let go at around 140,000 km's on average. These motors get really rattly on start up and rattle for quite a while. When they get too bad the chains and guides are replaced ( if they haven't let go already  :-\ ) , this is a risk they are prepared to take. I believe they get a good deal by not going for warranty - thus the reason for running them for as long as possible. The chains and guides are quite expensive to replace.

Your motor has done 86,000 miles or aprox 138,000 km's so way over due for replacement.

Me - my V6 GV has just gone past 100,000 km so I will book it in to our local Zuk dealer and have them done ( got a 3 year cost free deal when I bought it, so no cost to me  :) , thank goodness ).

Hope this all helps.

ZeusZuki 8)
1600 Escudo / Kick, beam front, coils all round, 37 MTR's, 97" wheelbase, locked fr & rr,twin stick, front stock ratio, Calmini 5.14 t box rear, Warn XD9000i winch, blah blah!

2.0 V6 auto, Calmini 3" kit, 33" jandles, LT struts, blah blah

2.5 V6 man GV, Calmini 2.5" kit, 235/85x16 jandle

Offline Charlie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 03:00:32 AM »
I can’t speak for the factory maintenance manual but there is no mention of the need to change the timing chain in my owner’s manual for a ozi 97 V6 2 litre. Mine had bit of noise from the guide when purchased at 50k, I didn’t just realize the situation at the time.
I only 10 k a year so its not a drama for me but people buy Suzuki because they don’t want or can’t afford a more expensive car, I’m sure the novelty of changing timing chain and guides every three years wears off fairly quickly !

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 10:52:28 PM »
Well I took it apart tonight. The 2.0 is an interference motor. There are 2 timming chains on a 2.0. Its a little hard to explain. The top chain and tensioner are busted which popped the valves in the #2 cyl. Im heading to the dealer in the morning.

Mike