Hello Guest

1st week on road and I have questions.

• 10 Replies

Offline one mile

1st week on road and I have questions.
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:13:37 AM »
First and formost I love my samurai (sorry ,my little girls) and now I have a few "Shake Down" questions.....I have noticed a fairly big gage green wire hanging down on the battery side of the Engine and I followed it back to a plug coming through the firewall just beside the battery. There are two plugs actually and this wire comes from one of them. It is about 11 in. long and it has it's on cover the length of this wire which looks factory. someone has put tape over the end and left it. Any thoughts on this?  Second question...I have a oil leak and it seems to be coming from a little metal tube off the back of the fuel pump. It is not hooked to anything and seems to be vented to the air. I have already fixed the two normal distributor leaks and the Valve cover does not seem to be leaking so I think this tube off the back of the Fuel pump needs to be hooked up to somthing...Any help out there...?
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: 1st week on road and I have questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
First and formost I love my samurai (sorry ,my little girls) and now I have a few "Shake Down" questions.....I have noticed a fairly big gage green wire hanging down on the battery side of the Engine and I followed it back to a plug coming through the firewall just beside the battery. There are two plugs actually and this wire comes from one of them. It is about 11 in. long and it has it's on cover the length of this wire which looks factory. someone has put tape over the end and left it. Any thoughts on this?  Second question...I have a oil leak and it seems to be coming from a little metal tube off the back of the fuel pump. It is not hooked to anything and seems to be vented to the air. I have already fixed the two normal distributor leaks and the Valve cover does not seem to be leaking so I think this tube off the back of the Fuel pump needs to be hooked up to somthing...Any help out there...?

One of the ways the stock fuel pumps shows that it's going bad is that it begins to pump oil out that tube. Time to replace. Would have to see a picture of the wires you're talking about.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline one mile

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:46:06 AM »
Thanks Eric...I'll try to get a pic. of that wire. (Did I say it was an '87 Samurai?) I will get one of my friends at work to help me.
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:07:37 PM »
I have a oil leak and it seems to be coming from a little metal tube off the back of the fuel pump.

Change the oil and filter when you change the pump. You may well have petrol in the oil which can trash the engine.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline one mile

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:10:32 PM »
Eric, I sent pics. hope you can help
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 08:39:58 AM »
Eric, I sent pics. hope you can help

I received and replied to your email. I believe it is a remnant of an A/C system. I'll attach those photos here so others can see and comment.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:09:41 AM »
Replace that fuel pump quickly. I had one go bad at the dunes, ended up trashing my bearings.

Offline one mile

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 04:58:08 PM »
OH YEAH! I stopped driving it as soon as Rhinoman brought it to my attention .  I got a pump on the way and hope to get it on this weekend. Thanks for the "Heads Up" anyway....
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
Be careful when installing it!

Do not bump the arm into anything while installing it or you might tear the diaphragm - which will cause you to have TWO fuel pumps with identical problems!

This my Crusade.  I destroyed a rebuilt 1.3 when the fuel pump failed, dumped a bunch of gasoline into the oil and washed the engine.... >:(  DON'T LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline one mile

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 05:39:39 PM »
Can you pull the pan and get to the "Bottom End" of the motor without pulling the Engine?
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »
Maybe, depending on lift. But, it's so easy to pull the engine. The last 1.3 I pulled took like 1 hour.