Hello Guest

1.3L problems

• 15 Replies

1.3L problems
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »
I took the samurai for a test run and when it gets to 3000rpm it bogs and sputters real bad. But if i put the clutch in it will rev fine. It losses all power at 3000RPM. I put a brand new exhaust and ignition system on. It is only under load when it bogs down. What could cause this ?.

Offline Dimitros

Re: 1.3L problems
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:09:04 PM »
Tell us more! ;)

Carb or EFI?

What ignition?
95 Samurai, 1.3, high comp.pistons, ported/grinded head, 1.6 valves, bored intake, Solex carb, K&N air, MSD Coil-Blaster+MSD 8.5 wires+Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini Tri-Y heder, Cherry-Bomb+Bosal custom exhaust, GRS II 4.89 T-case, 3.92:1 R&Ps, Calmini 3.5" susp., 30" BFG ATs, AVM 538 hubs...

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:13:02 PM »
Vacuum leak, or timing maybe  ???
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:57:53 AM »
Tell us more! ;)

Carb or EFI?

What ignition?

It is a stock carb with a MSD blaster coil with new plugs,wires,rotor,and cap.

Offline Dimitros

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Setup is just like mine, except the carb. Check the distributor's vacuum advance membrane. Remove disty's cap, unplug vacuum line(hose) from carb side and suck. If you feel that you're sucking air through the hose or disty's rotor isn't turning then you did find the problem.

Did you placed 0.8 ohm ballast resistor before the MSD coil?
95 Samurai, 1.3, high comp.pistons, ported/grinded head, 1.6 valves, bored intake, Solex carb, K&N air, MSD Coil-Blaster+MSD 8.5 wires+Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini Tri-Y heder, Cherry-Bomb+Bosal custom exhaust, GRS II 4.89 T-case, 3.92:1 R&Ps, Calmini 3.5" susp., 30" BFG ATs, AVM 538 hubs...

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 03:59:40 AM »
Setup is just like mine, except the carb. Check the distributor's vacuum advance membrane. Remove disty's cap, unplug vacuum line(hose) from carb side and suck. If you feel that you're sucking air through the hose or disty's rotor isn't turning then you did find the problem.

I did place a .8 ohm ballast before the MSD. I checked the vacuum line on the distributor and i tried suction on the vacuum line i didn't get any suction but the rotor did not turn. I could hear the vacuum advance move when i applied suction.

Offline one mile

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 06:27:28 AM »
How old are your wires, cap and rotor? I am not as smart as some of these guys on the forum but more spark from the new coil makes for easy carbon tracking inside the cap (spark scatter?) Don't know the correct term but it happened to me on another toy and I went and replaced all three and everything was fine but I never knew which single thing it was. Not to say that is your problem but just food for thought. Also how are your engine grounds? I normally put a dedicated ground strap from the starter motor (one of the mounting bolts) to the frame just to be sure. Hope this helps some. Good luck and keep us posted on your solution.
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline one mile

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 06:32:22 AM »
Woops! Just went back and read through all your posts........Forget all of my info and just check for good grounds......
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 04:27:39 PM »
I was wondering if the choke could cause the engine to sputter. But why would it only happen when the motor is under load.

Offline norcalwreckchaser

• www.norcalwreckchasers.ning.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »
I was wondering if the choke could cause the engine to sputter. But why would it only happen when the motor is under load.
Could be a choke issue, have you tried putting the stock coil back on? If I am reading this post correctly, the problem started after the coil and exhaust were replaced?
86' Samurai, 5" spua lift, rear missing links, 4.57 gears, 4 to 1 Transfer Case, Lockrights F/R, ARB Front bumper, Doug Thorley Header, Rock Rails, GM alt. swap and other Misc. goodies.
Sold 7/10 :(

Offline Dimitros

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 06:53:06 AM »

I did place a .8 ohm ballast before the MSD. I checked the vacuum line on the distributor and i tried suction on the vacuum line i didn't get any suction but the rotor did not turn. I could hear the vacuum advance move when i applied suction.

Well, how could you hear the vacuum advance moves and seeing nothing moves? There's a magnetic pickup part inside your disty, it's covered with black plastic cover with "do not remove" sing, it should move relativly to rotor. That black thing is moving for aproximatly 1cm around the rotor when suction applied, then when you release your "vacuum" it should slightly go back to it's original position. Here are some pics:

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 07:40:36 AM »
I checked the vacuum again and did notice the black cover moving slightly. I think it might be the choke causing the problems.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 08:53:10 AM »
I took the samurai for a test run and when it gets to 3000rpm it bogs and sputters real bad. But if i put the clutch in it will rev fine. It losses all power at 3000RPM. I put a brand new exhaust and ignition system on. It is only under load when it bogs down. What could cause this ?.

Clogged fuel filter. Bad fuel...

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline jtgh

• my Sidekick page, focused on EFI and more.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 10:46:49 AM »
a $10 HF timing light you can check
static timing
mech adv. timing,
vac adv. timing.

ALLabove  ok?
then back to carb.

your jets are dirty.
car is going lean.

all carbs, need to provide more fuel under more load.
(same with EFI )  { map or maf, as approp)

on a carb how this happens varies all over the map.

it takes little fuel to rev any engine with no load (you saw that)
and if going up hill , max.

usually it is 1st to 2nd gear power shifts up a hill , is worst case on all cars

I can prove that with my MAF data logger.

Carbs need to be boiled out (chem cleaned) and kitted every 100k.

I have no carb pages.  (they are mostly dead here since 88)

http://carfix.stufftoread.com/

Offline one mile

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 04:51:26 AM »
Mudslinger, Where are you at on solving your problem? Have you solved it? Hope so because it looks like you really are going to have a great ride when you get it DIALED IN !
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"