Hello Guest

Replaced rear bumper

• 9 Replies

Offline BRD HNTR

Replaced rear bumper
« on: May 24, 2008, 02:07:11 PM »
Just starting to build up my tracker.  I have replaced the rocker panels with the 2X4 rectangle tubing, and repainted whole car, so had to replace the Plastic Bumpers.  I used 7' 2"X4"X1/8"  and 2"X2"X1/8" rectangle tubing on rear bumper.

First, I notched the 2X4 tubing 2" down and 1" deep matched to the bumper mounts (and same width) in order to recess the new mounts and allow the new bumper to fit tight to rear of body, instead of sticking out like the old bumper did.  I then welded some scrap material I had into the cutouts to make new mounts for bumper and to keep the bumper sealed.  You could reuse the pieces cut outs by flipping them over and welding them back into position.  I recommend drilling holes into new mount pads before welding them into bumper in order to make sure the holes match up with the frame.  The center mount cutout has to be much wider than the mounting pad or else it rubs on tubing on each side of the mount pad.  I got to involved in making a tight fit on my mount, next time I would just make it 13" long, much faster/easier, and its under the bumper, no one will see it.

In order to follow the existing body lines I then notched the front side of bumper at the inside of taillights on each side in order to bend bumper.  I then notched the front side of bumper again at outside of body to make it wrap around body.  My measurements were a little tight, so had to cut out the top inside of the wrap around section in order to keep it from rubbing on body. 

Fit up was good, so I drilled mount holes through top from the bottom up using the existing holes.  These has to be angled slightly as the frame mount is not square/level with the world.

To finish things up I added the 2"X2" square tubing to top of the 2"X4" bumper to keep with the lines of the Tracker.  Then I welded tabs to the bottom of bumper to connect to the bottom frame mounts and drilled to match existing mount holes.  After capping the ends, (grinding and smoothing appropriate places) and painting I had a bumper that bolts on using all existing mounting positions.

Flush mounting brackets cut, checked for fit.

Works great, but would be easier to just cut out a 13" section instead.

Checked to make sure everything lines up. before cutting the corners.

Initial bend to fit the curve of the tail lights.

Cut and bent for the corner.

Hanging by the bottom mounts for painting.

Finished product mounted on the Tracker
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Element

• LillyKicker
Re: Replaced rear bumper
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »
Looks incredible... I wanna copy the design!!!
Jerry                                                               Member since:   May 14, 2006

zUkTAH
U4WDA

Offline RACER X

• zuki or die!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:34:18 PM »
are you selling these yet
98 kick

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:39:31 PM »
Great looking bumper!

Let us know what you will take for one.... 8) :laugh:
'89 sidekick 1.3L 3" blue suspension parts, custom strut extensions 31x10.5 Mud Trac's on 10" rims rear fenders trimmed, lincoln locked rear, Rochester Carb on custom adapter
93 Sammy project, SPOA with 34's, 5.12's, welded, in the works

Offline Element

• LillyKicker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »
Add a receiver or D ring and you are set!!!
Jerry                                                               Member since:   May 14, 2006

zUkTAH
U4WDA

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »
Thanks for the comments.
I plan on adding a short receiver, and did add another loop onto the frame on drivers side.  So now have two loops on back.  (I will have to beef up the weld on stock loop, as it doesn't have much of a weld.)
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »
looks good

how much you figure you spent?

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 08:21:25 AM »
looks good

how much you figure you spent?

I used just under 7 feet of 2X4X1/8", and about 3 feet of 2X2X1/8".  Should be $70 - $80.  I was all of day and evening trying to get just perfect.
I notched this bumper to fit close and reduce overhang.  Could use 1" or 2" trim on inside (to cover gap), and not have to notch and fill.
I used 1/16" cutting wheels on my 4 1/2" grinder for most all cutting (really slick).
We have lots more photos of grinding/cutting, fitting, etc., but these come close to showing the basic idea of what we did.
The time and material involved for first one shows why the companies are charging so much for there's.  The responses so far - PRICELESS!!!

Offline RACER X

• zuki or die!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 03:49:27 PM »
so go into production  mode already!!!!!!!!!!!!!
98 kick

Offline kingzoo

• I LOVE MY JLX SIDEKICK
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 06:50:31 AM »
   That is a good looking bumper!Nice work.
KING ZOO!!