Hello Guest

Project UNIMOOKI

• 148 Replies

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
Re: Project UNIMOOKI
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »
Jeep still looks pretty good though, even if it's not a Zuk.  :D  Did you bend the tubing for the rock sliders yourself?

What are you using for your rod ends? 

Yep...I bent the tube for the sliders and the front bumper.  I built a hydraulic bender around JD2 dies and ebay junk about 4 years ago.  It has seen quite a bit of use...one entire tube buggy, a bunch of sliders and bumpers (including the one on my Samurai), stainless handrails, and  a bunch of weightlifting equipment, weight sleds, and pull up bars for my local Jiu-jitsu gym. 

Rod ends are QA1; 1-1/4" shank, 1" bore with high misalignment spacers for the lower links, and 7/8"x7/8" with high misalignments for the uppers. 
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2010, 06:12:38 PM »
couple of pics of the crossmember and hydraulic ram on the front axle

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
Got in a few more hours on the unimooki this week. Rolled the axles under the rig and did some checking on clearances; the 3 pics show the vitara at full compression, full droop, and at 60% droop with 14" travel.  I don't think I'm going to be able to go any longer than 14"...top of the axle already contacts the oilpan and radiator at full compression, and the front driveshaft angle looks pretty steep at full droop.

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2010, 04:46:11 PM »
I got the steering intermediate shaft made up and the orbital valve installed.  Also took out the factory core support/rack and pinion mount/crossmember and made a new one.

Offline 91zukisas

« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2010, 05:26:07 PM »
Its looking awesome. cant wait to see it done, and in action. Its a monster
91 2door Sidekick yota Axels  SAS Kit, header and custom intake, etc
04 Kia Sorrento, Limited slip, 31X10.50 2" lift
89 Sammy Tintop-new project :D
95 TSI, EVO 3 16g turbo swap, front mount, 20lbs boost

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »
That's going to be one heck of a rig when it's all done.  Nice work!
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2010, 07:02:11 PM »
My rod ends FINALLY showed up on Friday...what a wait.
Got all of the link mounts built and tacked into place (nothing is braced or fully welded yet).  I built a total of 4 mounting options for the upper links (2 at the frame end and 2 at the axle end).  I spent quite a bit of time with the 4 link calculator tweaking mounting locations and lengths to try to get some numbers that I consider to be ideal.  I ended up with a setup that I think is going to be almost perfect; good vertical sep at the axle, slight negative roll axis angle (understeer is more desirable than oversteer), good triangulation on both sets of links.  I would have preferred to get the instant center a little further forward, but I think what I have will work fine...especially considering the low horsepower I am running.  The antisquat I am SUPER happy with...as the suspension droops the AS gets lower...meaning that the design is inherently stable and shouldn't have any tendency to hop on hillclimbs, or look like it is trying to hump itself when I'm hung up on a rock.  I did have to build a crossmember for the lower link mounts...they hang down 1.5" below the frame level...I would have liked to tuck them up a little more, but I just couldn't get good numbers that way.  But, I angled the back of the brackets so they're not rock anchors, and I really don't think 1.5" is all that far to drop below frame level.  I don't have the links built just yet so I can't measure driveshaft angles or plunge yet, but I'm guessing that plunge will be less than 2 inches.  The u joint angle will be the limiting factor in how much droop I will be able to get.
A LOT of time went into this design...probably too much.  I didn't start building anything until I felt like I had a reasonable grasp on 4 link design.  Still...if anybody out there has any input, feel free to post it up. 
I am going to need to move the gas tank back about an inch, and up an inch or two to keep the necessary clearance around the rear axle, but I think I can do this with no body mods. 

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2010, 11:42:13 AM »
Not too much progress in the last week...ordered all of my brake lines and fittings but it looks like they are a couple of weeks out.  I also have some limit straps on the way, and I ordered all of the parts I need to make up my driveshafts. I will be using toyota u-joints on the transfer case side, and spicer 1410 u-joints on the axle end.  I decided to go with the 1410's because they have better angle capability than the 1310 or 1350's, and they're SUPER strong, and the u-joints themselves only cost about $15.  I have both toyota U-joints and CV joints right now, but I need to measure the angles they will operate at before I can decide which one I will use when I build the shafts. 
I also removed the gas tank...next on the list is to finish welding the suspension brackets in for the rear axle and make up some kind of mounting system for the gas tank. 

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2010, 02:03:29 PM »
Man, I'm still impressed everytime I look at your progress on this rig. Awesome.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
Got the rear axle placed; links made up and adjusted.  I used the lift to cycle the suspension through its range of motion; nothing unexpected.  There is sufficient clearance to everything during full bump and full droop.  After I finish the welds, I'll check side to side articulation as well.

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2010, 05:32:13 PM »
PICS!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »
Cool, looks like it's about ready for the fall classic!

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2010, 06:17:46 PM »
Needs bigger tires.  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2010, 02:07:57 AM »
It has been a long build, but that is the cleanest under side of a raised Zuki I have seen (both from the front and the side).  Now for the road tests.
GREAT JOB!!!!
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2010, 06:18:43 AM »
Looks Baddass enough to tow your tow rig!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER