Offline stuckhappens

Re: Project UNIMOOKI
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
holy s&|removethispart|@t dude that things gonna be a monster  i like it
1988 samurai tin top project ugly duckling

Offline RHodge

« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »
it's cool ,thats going to big a monster,    Have you messured the leanth of the trany and t-cases ?

Offline Bryce132

« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2009, 08:46:42 PM »
That looks awesome but....

how are you going to weld the wood in? OR just the chain? Cheap and soft trans mounts i suppose.....

???

Ha just kidding awesome looking work so far!

Bryce

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2009, 09:42:32 PM »
it's cool ,thats going to big a monster,    Have you messured the leanth of the trany and t-cases ?

I pulled the tranny tonight (for the last time, I think).  I needed to helicoil a few stripped out threads and loctite all of the studs.  I put a measuring tape on it for those who are interested. I know it looks SUPER long, but really the doubler only adds 6.5", and the toy tranny/tcase is actually about 3" shorter than the stock vitara drivetrain.  So, my rear output flange is about 3.5" further back than stock, and my front output is about 5.5" further back.  It makes my rear driveshaft about 28-30" long (depending on where I decide to place the rear axle).  The rear flange is about 45" from the bellhousing, and the front flange is about 34".
I still need to modify the tranny shifter, but I'll do that when I have the crossmember finished and the tranny is in its final position. 
STILL waiting on my steering parts and heim joints, but the word is I'll have them in a week or so. 
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2009, 09:50:48 PM »
how are you going to weld the wood in?

Gorilla glue.  I figure why spend the time welding crap up when I can just use scraps from work and cheap glue?  Easy trail fixes too.  An 8' 2x4 and a framing nailer is all I need in MY toolbox...

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »
That rig is a mechanical work of art. Kudos.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Bryce132

« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »
how are you going to weld the wood in?

Gorilla glue.  I figure why spend the time welding crap up when I can just use scraps from work and cheap glue?  Easy trail fixes too.  An 8' 2x4 and a framing nailer is all I need in MY toolbox...

Very good points I must say, nothing like a cheap and easy fix. Wood kills the vibration.

On a serious note - That trans/transfer case is massive !

Looks good

Bryce

Offline RHodge

« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2009, 06:15:34 PM »

I pulled the tranny tonight (for the last time, I think).  I needed to helicoil a few stripped out threads and loctite all of the studs.  I put a measuring tape on it for those who are interested. I know it looks SUPER long, but really the doubler only adds 6.5", and the toy tranny/tcase is actually about 3" shorter than the stock vitara drivetrain.  So, my rear output flange is about 3.5" further back than stock, and my front output is about 5.5" further back.  It makes my rear driveshaft about 28-30" long (depending on where I decide to place the rear axle).  The rear flange is about 45" from the bellhousing, and the front flange is about 34".
I still need to modify the tranny shifter, but I'll do that when I have the crossmember finished and the tranny is in its final position. 
STILL waiting on my steering parts and heim joints, but the word is I'll have them in a week or so. 

thanks for measuring it, that gives me some ideas

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »
Taking a lunch break so I thought I would post some pics  8)

I got the tranny back in the vitara this morning and got to work on the shifters.  It was a bit of a headache making sure they could all move through all of their positions without hitting each other, or the dash, or floor, etc.  But, I seem to have got it nailed down.  Everything is nice and compact, but still leaves room for my hands to move from lever to lever without any interference. 

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2009, 05:49:36 PM »
Awesome tech, Sewerzuk.  I have a 2000 2.0 5 spd Tracker that I have intentions of turning it into the next trail rig and I know I will want to change my tranny over to the toy trans when I do so.  When you can post up pix of how youdid the slave cylinder.

Eric

I know it took me a couple of months to get these up, but since I finally put it all back together tonight, here are a couple of pics.  I also took a video:
CLICK HERE to watch the clutch linkage in operation

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2009, 08:29:49 AM »
That is a lot of shifters.  :)

Have you thought about cutting down some of the shifters so they take up less space?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2009, 09:50:52 AM »
Have you thought about cutting down some of the shifters so they take up less space?

I sat down in the driver's seat and tried everything out to make sure it would work for me; I actually shortened the transmission shifter some to make it more comfortable, but the others seem to be about perfect for me.  If I DO decide that I don't like them, that is something I can change later...even after the whole project is completed.

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2009, 11:26:22 AM »
Looks great....how's the progress on the whole build so far?

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »
Looks great....how's the progress on the whole build so far?

Slow...life keeps getting in the way  ???

I got all of my steering parts today...so I have some motivation to get started on that.  Unfortunately I've been so busy with work (or maybe that's fortunately...dunno) that I haven't had much free time to work in the shop.  Any spare time I have gets taken up with obligations with the fire department, family, etc. 
But I'll get back on this project this weekend...

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »
I got back from my jiu-jitsu class tonight all tired and wiped out...but I couldn't stop thinking about my steering parts all lonely in their boxes in my shop.  So I opened everything up and took a pic.  No picture can do these parts justice...everything looks amazing.  I'll be working on it this weekend...