Hello Guest

Project UNIMOOKI

• 148 Replies

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
Re: Project UNIMOOKI
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 09:01:14 PM »
I took advantage of the 75% off sale at 4 wheel parts yesterday to get my wheels, and ordered my tires and a set of the staun beadlocks.  Wheels and tires will be here next week, but the Stauns are about a month out as they just started making them for 17x12" wheels and nobody has them in the US yet. 
I went with 39.5x16.5x17 Pitbull Rockers.  I based this decision mainly on Billavista's review on the Pirate4x4 board, but I've found dozens of other people with nothing but positive comments, and not a single complaint.
The wheels are 17x12" (recommended size for my tires) Weld Methods.  What can I say...they're Weld wheels.  I never thought I'd be running them on an offroad rig, but they were so cheap I couldn't pass them up.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:04:30 AM by sewerzuk »
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »
How much did the whole set up run you?

Your rig is looking awesome!  You have a badass set up going on.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 05:22:01 PM »
How much did the whole set up run you?

Wheels were $140 each, no shipping:  $560 (75% off weld wheel sale at 4 wheel parts)
Tires were $230 each, $200 shipping: $1120 (cosmetic blems from 4x4groupbuy.com)
Staun Beadlocks were $170 each: $680 (bought from a friend with a 4x4 shop at just above cost)

total: $2360

Pretty good price for all new 39.5" tires, forged alloy 17x12" wheels, and double beadlocks.  Seems like a lot of $$ if you're used to 15" wheels and 31's, but put all of this same stuff in a shopping cart at any 4x4 site and you'll end up with a price over $4000. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 05:47:02 PM by sewerzuk »

Offline j2custom

• Suzuki's rule!
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 08:54:17 PM »
Next I cut 7.5" out of the long side of the rear axle
OK, I had to reread that twice... I almost shat myself!  I think it is great to see someone try something different (mog axles) then to be willing and able to cut them up... Holy Crap Man!!.  I can not wait to see it done.  Please keep us posted.  (pics) 8)
2001 Chevy Tracker 4 door 2.0 5 spd 4x4
1995 Geo Tracker 1.6 8V 5 spd 4x4
2005 Tundra Crew Cab Limited 4x4
 It's not what you buy... it's what you build

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »
The freight truck brought a pallet of motivation today...in the form of some Pitbull Rockers  8)

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 06:46:32 AM »
I got my front axleshaft back from the machine shop last week...and a bill for $150.  They got the pin out, but destroyed it and the CV ring (see the hairline crack in the lower pic) in the process.  They had to machine a special pin and socket out of 4340 to press the pin out, and even then 100 Tons alone wasn't enough; it had to be heated until it was glowing red before it moved.  At least I still get to use the axleshaft.
A new CV assembly is $300 for one side...didn't really want to pay that kind of $$ for just the CV ring and pin, so I found a used front long side shaft complete with CV for $300 shipped and picked it up.  Now I have a spare for the front and the CV parts I need.  I spent a minute or so with a small brake sylinder hone in the shortened shaft to smooth out the rough edges, and the new pin pressed right in.  The front axle is all assembled now; next I need to figure out what I'm doing for the steering arms and ram. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 03:16:54 PM by sewerzuk »

Offline Basher

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2008, 11:28:03 PM »
awsome build ,love the mog axels, thanks for sharing
if you were right, dont you think i'd agree with you?

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 09:38:55 PM »
Finally got a day to work in the shop today...I've been busy the last week with lots of work.  We had a few cold mornings here too...that prompted me to waste a few hours getting my motor oil burner working.
I spent most of the day with the plasma cutter and grinders taking off IFS brackets and crossmembers.  Front is all done...I think.  I left the strut towers because of the excellent frame bracing that they provide.  I also left the coil buckets, thinking that I may be able to use them as bumpstops, and the front crossmember because I don't think it is in the way, it provides some protection and support for the radiator, and it's the only thing holding the framerails together now.  Talk about a lot of grinding...went through an entire 6" grinder wheel, and most of a 4-1/2" one.
I also picked up my wheels last week as well; 17x12's are some WIDE wheels.  They look great...but will look better with a little rock rash on them  8)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 09:42:30 PM by sewerzuk »

Offline hawaiizuki13

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2008, 01:38:29 PM »
cant wait to see the finish product bud nice work
LOVE TAKING A ZUK RIDE WITH MY FAMILY

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »
How is the time line looking for Powerfest? Would love to see it in person :)

Derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 08:13:33 PM »
How is the time line looking for Powerfest? Would love to see it in person :)

Derek

I really don't think I'll have it done by Powerfest.  There are just too many small details that still need to be done, plus the big projects (steering and suspension design, mainly).  There's a lot of time needed to take care of this stuff.  Many of the parts I have ordered haven't showed up yet either...still waiting for the clutch parts to do the tranny swap, beadlocks, steering arms and cylinder, etc.  Right now I'm kind of held up waiting for that stuff..don't want to go ahead with the suspension design until I have the drivetrain entirely in. 
I'll keep working steadily on it though...I feel pretty confident that it will be 100% done sometime this winter. 
Anybody who is interested in seeing it is welcome to come by the weekend of Powerfest though...I'll even be willing to provide a warm dry place and tools to work on a broken rig that weekend if anybody needs it  8)

Offline Hawkeye Huey

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »
How's the project coming? I know you have been busy trying to stay warm.
1990 GEO Tracker hardtop, 3" bod, 3.5"susp, rebuilt engine, Hawk SS torquer cam,Thorley tri-y 2 1/2" pipe, TT rockmonster T-case, Lockright F/R, 5:38 R/P, Pro-comp series 51 wheels 31" GY MTR's

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2008, 05:22:10 PM »
Still waiting for lots of parts  :sleepy:
The biggest things holding me up are the steering arms for my front axle.

But yes...now I'm nice and warm burning my old motor oil.

I actually have the tranny bolted in and the clutch assembly built; no crossmember yet.  I'm working on typing a writeup for the tranny conversion...I'll post that in a separate thread (it's kind of a stand-alone project) when I get it finished.  I have had quite a bit of work in the last few weeks, so I haven't spent a lot of hours working on the Unimooki...   

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2008, 07:24:42 AM »
I'm sooo jelous, I  always loved mog axles
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 04:31:01 AM »
Anymore progress on this? 
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER