Hello Guest

New idea for Trail/Rock Lights

• 14 Replies

Offline skitime

New idea for Trail/Rock Lights
« on: June 06, 2009, 07:53:42 PM »
I often find myself coming off trails after dark.  I have Hella 550 Lights on the front bumper but often wished I had better vision at the side of the trail and along side of the vehicle.  I came up with this idea and had time this week to try it so I thought I would share it.  I have not seen anyone else doing this but maybe someone had. I decided to try to mount lights in the side rear view mirrors. That location should give excellent broad lighting. So I went to the junk yard and got two extra mirrors to play with. Cost $10 at the you pull it. Then I went to Walmart and got two 55 watt driving lights. Cost $15.  I dismantled the mirrors and found I had just enough space for the lights with only minor trimming to the internal skeleton.  I trace the hole needed from the light and used a hole saw to start the hole then filed it to shape.  Mounted the light brackets to the bottom of the mirror housing then used some silicon sealant to seal the edges to prevent any noises from the wind. The lights do not restrict adjustment of the mirror in anyway. The mounted direct the lighting downward and outward which should be perfect. They look great and are very bright with 55 watt ulbs.

Left mirror with internal frame.

Right internal frame with needed material removed.

Light mounted to mirror housing.

Mirror frame remounted with light installed.

Front of mirror with light installed

The completed pair of mirrors

So how did they work?  You can be the judge.  These pictures were taken at night, some with time exposure so the sky appear somewhat bright. This first pic is to show you the vantage point from above so you can understand the next few pics.  These pics show the light pattern.

Rock lights only

Rock lights and headlights (  I kept the Hella fog lights mounted on the front bumper off. The Hellas will fill in the dimmer area in front of the Tracker)

Side View from the ground.

View from the drivers seat

View out the passenger door

Front View (Camera is compensating for the bright lights)

Side view

I am very happy with the positioning of the lights. They really light of the side of the Tracker and no glare is visible from the drivers or passenger seats.  If I say so myself, I think they are perfectly positioned for night trails.  

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:00:35 PM by skitime »

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: New idea for Trail/Rock Lights
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:03:51 PM »
Do the new lights create much heat?

No fun results from melted housings...
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline skitime

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
Do the new lights create much heat?

No fun results from melted housings...

I tested that.  I left them on while on the workbench for an hour.  There was not problem and the light housing was not even hot.  I mounted them with about 1/4" clearance then filled the gap with silicon in case it might create a whistle with driving.  Even the silicon was fine after an hour.

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:44:39 AM »
Great idea! looks like they light up pretty good.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 07:47:01 AM »
Great idea! looks like they light up pretty good.

ditto

Now to find the time to install a set.  Thanks for sharing.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 08:18:15 AM »
Ok, that is pretty cool looking.  The only problem I see is you can't see what is directly in front of your tire for rock crawling at night.  But for trail lights, that is perfect.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline skitime

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »
Ok, that is pretty cool looking.  The only problem I see is you can't see what is directly in front of your tire for rock crawling at night.  But for trail lights, that is perfect.

So how do you see rocks that are directly in front of you with any lights when you sit in the drivers seat?  Undercarraiage lights are good if you got a spotter however. So in that respect you are right.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 10:56:50 AM »
 ;) Another inovatiave mod by skitime! NIce work, I hope you don't have a patent on thet, I may have to copy it!

quote author=Drone637 link=topic=25441.msg208369#msg208369 date=1244387895]
[/quote]

I've seen where guys cut holes in the floor, use a plexi "window" under their feet and forward, to be able to see the wheels. Don't know how it works, and for a DD, not very practical ( leak Issues)
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 12:57:59 PM »
I like this a lot.  Very clean looking and functional.  Already planning a set for my DD truck...
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

Offline skitime

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 01:33:43 PM »
;) Another inovatiave mod by skitime! NIce work, I hope you don't have a patent on thet, I may have to copy it!

Copy away, that is why I put it out there.  Guess we can call them "skitime lights". lol

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »
So how do you see rocks that are directly in front of you with any lights when you sit in the drivers seat?  Undercarraiage lights are good if you got a spotter however. So in that respect you are right.

On my SJ I just lean over and look  One nice bit about not having doors.  :D  Your lights are a world ahead of mine, which are non existant.  This mod will probably end up on my Tracker, I never would have though of putting them in the mirrors. 

What did you do for running the power wires?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline skitime

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:29:38 AM »
What did you do for running the power wires?

I ran a heavy 14/4 trailer wire though the door jams with the same holes and path that are used for the factory power mirrors.  I figure the extra two wires can run the power mirrors if I ever install them. I researched and the mirrors use two wires and ground and I already have the ground wire there now.

Offline jason hutchison

• ZUKIWORLD Staff
    • ZUKIWORLD Online
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 09:36:39 AM »
cool, idea this should be in the DIY section

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »
Props for a great idea...really COOL  8)
I just bought 3 sets fo those exact same lights at Wal-mart, but haven't mounted them yet...this might change my mind about where to mount the front set!
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 05:19:06 PM »
I am installing Skitime lights on my tracker.  Loved the idea and already had a few of those lights but hadnt installed them yet.  I am having trouble getting the mirror bracket internals out of the exterior case...can someone give me some advice?
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts