Hello Guest

mandatory equipment?

• 18 Replies

mypocketsrfull

mandatory equipment?
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
i just picked up my first samurai about a week and a half ago, havent really gone off roading ever, but most definitly like to, so my question is, what gear equipment would you guys say is absolutley a must when off roading?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:39:27 AM by mypocketsrfull »

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
Re: mandatory equipment?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:20:23 PM »
that depends  on dirt or mud  ,  sand wet or dry  ,  rocks ,ice , snow
so you see there is no answer that would be wrong
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline Armour

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »
Also what tire size you plan on running?
89 Sidekick. 33's.  Lincoln Locker,4.24 T Case, 5.13 gears. Warn M8000 winch.
96 Tracker. 39.5's Locked 44's front and rear, 6.5 t case, 4.10 gears.

Offline JoeCool

• Carpe Noctum!
    • cardomain
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 10:21:14 PM »
I live out in the Wasatch Front in Utah (Mountain Trails) and frequent Moab (desert) so here are some of the things I pack to go wheeling with. depending on your terrain you will want/ need differant gear.

Tow ropes, I now own 50 ft of tow strap because help may not be able to get that close to pull you out. A 20 foot strap is a good start.  Tree Saver strap- a short peice of tow rope that you can run around a tree with out damaging it, your local wild life lovers will thank you for it.
Hand winch (too broke for a real winch just yet) Land anchor.- You can burry a spare tire in the ground when in a pinch but good luck.

Highlift Jack, wide plastic base. Used a 2" thick by 2ft squared piece of wood for the longest time.

Water (6 gal.)and Gas (5 gal.) cans, the desert is a harsh place to be stuck, 'nugh said.

Mini shovel, If you get burried, some excivation may be required- Please fix your divot afterward.  :angel:
"Snow Paw"- flexy plastic back country snow shovel.

A small collection of hand tools-  10mm 12mm 14mm 17mm, plyers, screw drivers, hammer, shop rags. etc.

Spare radiator and heater hoses

Old phone book, can you say kindling?

Tire gauge (rapid tire deflator/ gauge) know how low you are deflateing to.

Tire chains
extra oil.

This ones a Biggie: Bring a buddy! Never Wheel Alone. Short well traveled trails are fine but let people know. If you are going into the backcountry bring a buddy, preferably several and at least one other vehicle. A good spotter is also very important depending on where you wheel.

CB Radio- gee wiz factor plus weather reports and rescue line.

Most Importantly: BRING YOUR BRAIN!  Wheeling can be fun and challanging, all of have pushed the limits of our vehicles and our guts, most of us have bought parts afterward because of this. Remember to be safe and follow trail courtacy standards, stay out of off limmits areas and have a good time.
Welcome to Zukiworld.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:28:41 PM by JoeCool »
5psi turbo '90 2dr 5spd 8v Tracker, Lt235s, 1" spacers, Rocker Rails, Warn Hubs, Custom half door,--GONE!
New, Sammi Tintop

Offline takai

• Yes, I drove that here. And No, it's not done!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:03:56 AM »
Most Importantly: BRING YOUR BRAIN!  Wheeling can be fun and challanging, all of have pushed the limits of our vehicles and our guts, most of us have bought parts afterward because of this. Remember to be safe and follow trail courtacy standards, stay out of off limmits areas and have a good time.
Welcome to Zukiworld.

Very good point. If you forget this one, all the equipment in the world won't help you get home.
87 Sammi "Sir Tweak " Rockcrawler 4:1, Mighty Kong , 1.6 16V, Centerforce II, 2" Exhaust, Esteem seats. - Long gone
97 Tracker "Jezebel"  Bone Stock DD

'Cause, I am to misbehave.

mypocketsrfull

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:11:45 AM »
really? a spare radiator? hmmm. well, right now i have 31" tires, probably won't get anything larger for a while, i live in california and mostly i guess the offroad terrain would be rocky, maybe some snow, but who knows, like i said, i havent really had a chance to go offroading until now ;D

well i guess this really wasnt put in the right part of the forum, was it? apologies

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »
Where in cali do you live?
California got quite a big of wheeling options all depending on what end you live on.
Im from Humboldt County so its all mud snow and sand around here.

Tools: 8,10,12,14,17mm wrenchs
Jb Stick weld (very handy)
Toe strap
shovel
knife
Flashlight/headlamp
hatchet

Thats pretty much all the stuff that stays in at all times, all fits in one ammo can.

Amilla

88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline Armour

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »

Geez I feel stupid. Sorry took the context wrong. My bad!
89 Sidekick. 33's.  Lincoln Locker,4.24 T Case, 5.13 gears. Warn M8000 winch.
96 Tracker. 39.5's Locked 44's front and rear, 6.5 t case, 4.10 gears.

mypocketsrfull

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 11:37:13 AM »
so my question is, what gear would you guys say is absolutley a must when off roading?

yeah, i definately see where that happened, i kinda knew that could become an issue, so i titled the topic mandatory equipment, but forgot to use the word equipment in the post rather than "gear" sorry about the miscommunication.

Where in cali do you live?
California got quite a big of wheeling options all depending on what end you live on.
Im from Humboldt County so its all mud snow and sand around here.

i live in the bay area, contra costa county. i dont think we have anything nearby, but more often when we go camping towards sonora

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 07:49:55 PM »
only 2 hours to RUBICON
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline JoeCool

• Carpe Noctum!
    • cardomain
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »
That should have read spare radiator hoses and heater core hoses. Althogh some do pack spare hubs or spare cv axles, I took the short route and bought Warn Hubs, the nesesity of wich has been debated on this site but better safe than stuck right?
5psi turbo '90 2dr 5spd 8v Tracker, Lt235s, 1" spacers, Rocker Rails, Warn Hubs, Custom half door,--GONE!
New, Sammi Tintop

mypocketsrfull

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 09:31:47 PM »
i guess no one in this topic is understanding one another, spare radiator hoses makes alot more sense, i probably should have thought about it a little more instead of being gullible and thinking someone would bring a spare radiator just in case  ::)

DistantSmoke

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 04:37:17 PM »
If you are within walking distance of help you shouldn't worry about loading down your vehicle with a bunch of spare parts.

1. First aid kit w/ fire extinguisher.
2. Cell Phone
3. GPS
4. Extra Fuel-Oil and Water.
5. Basic tool kit:
    a. 2 pr vice grips
    b. philips and flat screwdrivers
    c. hammer
   d. small coil of electrical wire 12ga
    e. small coil of tie wire
    f. electricle tape
    g. duct tape
    h. zip ties
6. Make sure you have a good jack-spare tire and tire tools.

Just check over your vehicle for leaks or loose hardware before you hit the trail.
You will have few troubles off road if your rig is well maintained.
Most trail breakdowns are things that the owner knew were bad or at least questionable before they hit the trail.
"....I knew that U Joint was making a funny noise when we left the driveway..."    >:( :-[ :'(

mypocketsrfull

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »
5. Basic tool kit:
    a. 2 pr vice grips
    b. philips and flat screwdrivers
    c. hammer
   d. small coil of electrical wire 12ga
    e. small coil of tie wire
    f. electricle tape
    g. duct tape
    h. zip ties
bailing wire, duct tape and bubble gum, got it. yeah, i get what you are saying as long as you know your vehicle you shouldnt have any suprises.

Offline RACER X

• zuki or die!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 08:58:03 AM »
AAA card for when you limp back to the road
98 kick