Hello Guest

California diesel conversion ... smog referee check list and guide

• 2 Replies

I just want to start this thread for any persons about to consider or want to do a diesel conversion in California

1. Do not ask anyone at California Dept Of Motor Vehicles ...

2. Call 1-800-622-7733 and follow the promps.....

3. Have the License plate number handy ... pen and paper

4. Have free time or be able to flex your schedule to get a appointment.

5. Only answer questions .. do not volunteer anymore than they ask

6. engine must be in the vehicle and in working order.  * this is where you want to have the engine bay clean oil free and all hoses connected to something !

7. Bring photo copies from Bentley or some other service manual of the engine you swapped in its original configuration for reference or better yet have the manual ready when you go to the referee. Dont offer it unless there is a issue!

* the engine must be the same age or newer to be approved!

Thank the referee for his time take the paper work to DMV, in some cases you wont need a visit to DMV right away ... this would be u have current registration in the state.

As of last year 98 and older diesels will not be included in the new diesel smog program.

I am officially a smog exempt 1988 samurai diesel vehicle in the state of California!
Living the Dream in Communist California 
2002 vw golf tdi 300k miles 47 mpg avg
1988 vw1.6td  suzuki samurai trail blazer

Offline c3006

Re: California diesel conversion ... smog referee check list and guide
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »
Kalifornia may have nice weather and all but im just not sure its worth it. Kudos to yall for goin thru all that :)

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
Re: California diesel conversion ... smog referee check list and guide
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:37:44 PM »
Kalifornia may have nice weather and all but im just not sure its worth it.

It isn't.  Trust me  >:(
For example: http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/the-water-cooler/kalifornia-air-resources-board-overestimates-diesel-pollutants-by-340/
I hope they are punished for this. 

And thanks for the info, deeprecon1
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:59:08 PM by djlantis57 »
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts