Hello Guest

Conversion Project: Samurai to Adventure trailer

• 40 Replies

Offline locjaw

Re: Conversion Project: Samurai to Adventure trailer
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 07:55:53 PM »
Is there anybody on this forum who wants me to keep posting updates?  I know I cut up the poor samurai.  I'm sorry.  I regret it.  I should have found a home for it...  But its too late for that.

Today I built the rack.  I decided to go with an open design that I can tie a canoe/kayak down on, but with no floor so I can still carry larger objects in the bed.  I am going to have a snap-on soft cover made for the bed.  It will have cutouts to go around the rack posts.  I have a lead on a guy who does really nice work.  He did my fiance's dad's boat cover (huge).

Here's the rack.

Naturally, since last night was the first time I left the trailer outside... it rained.  Heres the very wet trailer.  You can see that I filled the gas filler area with "great stuff" expanding foam from cheapo depot.  It will get sanded and body fillled later.

I had to dry the rain off the trailer to sand/weld etc. so I broke out the Industrial Strength Bastardized Samurai Trailer Dryer.

Welded the rack on.

Had to use a tailgate straightenamafier before welding on the rear section of the rack.

And heres the rack finished ( i think ) and where I left off today.

I have been thinking about building a platform for one of those cool rooftop safari type tents.  I have to find a tent to build it around though.  My current tent is 7x8 wich is way too big.  I would like to find a 5x7 or even a 4x6 tent for cheap and then go from there.

I have no idea what is on the ajenda for tomorrow... 
of course we want the updates(especally the one about you buying a suzuki to pull it with >:D ). it's a great project, just sad because they are getting harder to find
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »
oh well

whats done is done

this is a good thread for the Build Diary section  :)

keep us updated with that agenda

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 06:59:06 AM »
Cool looking build up, never seen this done with a samurai before. 

Suzuki lug pattern is 5x5.5.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline wolfcri

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 11:49:21 PM »
It was raining again today so I started off by painting the rack.  I went and registered the trailer while the paint was drying.

By the time I got home, the rain was letting up.
I decided to start tearing more stuff off and fix any rust or rot I found.  Then reassemble with only the necessary parts and maybe do a little prep and painting.

I pulled off the fenders and bumper.

Found some serious rot behind the driver side fender and bumper surround.

Decided to BUZZZ off what I didnt need and fix what I need.

Same on the passenger side.  (not the rot, but the trim job).

Trimmed the "bumper supports" and other junk behind the bumper.

Spare parts  (junk)

These trucks were not really built extremely sturdy.  I think the average teenage girl could have bent the rear bumper my kicking it.  The bumper supports were a joke.

I fought with the rust for a little while, sanded and cleaned everything up.  Then I painted the bare metal.  Since I had already scuffed the rest of the body (not much to it) I kept painting.  I did the fender flares too while I was at it.  I used some rubber trim moulding to finish off the lower portion of the body where I had to cut out the cancer.  The fenders are still wet in this pic.

I will go back and resand the area around the fuel filler when I feel like breaking out the body filler.  When I stood back and looked at the way it was coming along, I decided that it was time to make it street-worthey.  This way, I can take it to get measured for the soft cover if I need to.

I installed the lights.  I purchased these at walmart and I was happy doing so because they are actually made in the US !!!

I installed my kick-a$$ custom safety chains.  I went with a welded chain that is rated to 3900#.  I really only picked it because it has an orange coating that I figure will fight back rusty-chain syndrome for a little while at least.  I welded a link to the right side of the tongue and compensated by making the length of chain that will go the the left safety-chain attachment point a little longer.  I did so because I located the wiring on the left side to line up with the connector on the tow vehicle.

Here it is hitched up.

I used wire looms to protect the wiring for the lights and keep everything neat.  This may not be the permanent location of the wires...  not sure yet.

I also used another piece of rubber trim moulding to cover the rear of the bed under the tailgate where the bumper was.  I will take a better pic of that tomorrow.
I have the ability to open the tailgate 180* so I compensated by leaving enough wire to do so.  I am thinking about a fold-down counter or bench type thing on the tailgate (inside) to be used when the tailgate is open.

I tested out the lights (they worked), bolted on the license plate, and then took it for its maiden voyage.

90*  and no jack-knife contact with the jeep.  My poor jeep is wearing its "little tires" today.  Cant beat those michelins in snow, rain, and for gas milage.

And my brain is starting to shut down (tired) so I parked it in the garage again until tomorrow and snapped a few more pics for my friends on the interweb

On my list of  'things to do' ...

Soft cover
Build a hand-brake or disable the brakes all together
Spray bedliner in the front and main compartments
Build a folding counter for the tailgate
Start arranging item-specific storage gizmos, compartments, etc.
Back-up light?
Cargo light?
Guard for differential pinion?
Roof-top tent platform?
???

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 08:34:23 AM »
Couple of thoughts.... OMG! You're pulling it with a Jeep!?! :)  Second, why didn't you keep the fuel tank and that system for extra fuel for adventure? We're (well mostly me) are always running low on the long trips...

Thanks for sharing your build.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 09:48:09 AM »
I've been following this thread, just because people don't post doesn't mean its being ignored  ;D. I think thats a pretty good job, some nice touches.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »
i so need a garage... i want one... (its ok guys, i wont cutup a suzuki)
1990 Suzuki sidekick 2Dr Conv.
385,000 km and still going strong.
31" kumhos 3inchs of lift.

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 06:26:51 PM »
I like the idea...if I run across a back half I might have to try this myself.

Probably the only time you will see a heep pull a sammy :D  :laugh: :laugh: :P

Just kidding, enjoyed the project!!
'89 sidekick 1.3L 3" blue suspension parts, custom strut extensions 31x10.5 Mud Trac's on 10" rims rear fenders trimmed, lincoln locked rear, Rochester Carb on custom adapter
93 Sammy project, SPOA with 34's, 5.12's, welded, in the works

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »
someone should grab that front section... extend the fenders and hood another foot or so and you have a trailer with a locking cover and mount some clear lense taillights in the headlight buckets!
make alot of people take a double look with it going down the road....

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
I'd get it if I was closer!!
'89 sidekick 1.3L 3" blue suspension parts, custom strut extensions 31x10.5 Mud Trac's on 10" rims rear fenders trimmed, lincoln locked rear, Rochester Carb on custom adapter
93 Sammy project, SPOA with 34's, 5.12's, welded, in the works

Offline SNJSamurai

• Always have fun in life never know when it can end
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »
what part of nj u from? I Live in south jersey i wont mind taking that front
Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline wolfcri

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »
I am about 15 minutes from Great Adventure if anyone is interested in the front end.

I didnt get to post thursday or friday nights because I had a lot going on but heres the progress.

Heres a pic of the gas tank skid plate in its original location (about).
I had a lot of good suggestions about this and a few ideas of my own so I wanted to think about it a little more before I attacked this part of the project.

Here is a pic of the trim piece I put under the tailgate.  Its crooked...  I must have been getting tired.  So... I redid it.

Thats better

Then I got annoyed by the hump in the front storage area.  Since this area will be used for gas and water cans and maybe a cooler etc. I needed it to be humpless.

Then I cut some plywood for the floors.  I used 5/8" non-treated plywood and I hit them with a few coats of rubberized bedliner.  I fastened them with self-tappers.

I decided that the area where the gas tank used to be...  should indeed be able to carry gas.  However I really liked the thought of being able to convert that space to carry a few deep cycle batteries later if I decided to use a pinion mounted alternator set-up.  If I used the stock gas tank, it would require too much modification that was devoted to only fuel.

Sooooo...
I built it to carry 2 gas cans, or a few ammo cans, or a few batteries... or whatever else I stick down there.  I finished it off with paint on the outside and bedlined the inside.

I modified the stock spare tire carrier so I could mount it to the tongue.

Please keep the suggestions coming.  Like I said, I never really had a "plan" so I'm still taking this day by day.
I intend to start loading this thing up with the stuff I would use it to transport so that I can find more things that it needs.

Offline wolfcri

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 08:24:41 PM »
I got tied up with a bunch of other stuff today so I really only got to do a little brainstorming and build some front pannels.

I therw a bunch of water containers in to get an idea of the capacity.  Not too bad. 

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »
Looks pretty stylish so far.  That is a lot of black.  :D

Are you going to add any U-Bolts or Tie Downs to the front end so you can strap all of your water bottles and gas cans in with a ratchet strap?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 04:18:58 PM »
holy... enough water cans :o
are you going to be washing your truck while offroad or what...

but seriously. nice build, wish i could get something like it for my kick to pull.