Hello Guest

Audi 1.8 turbo powered sidekick. PICTURES...!!!!!!!

• 330 Replies

Offline Drew 4.0

• FireCrafter.com
Wow, that looks really good!!!  I think that you are going to be really happy that you went with the thunderbird radiator, not only does it fit better but it will also do a better job at keeping your engine cool.  I've got the same one and it keeps the 4.0 plenty cool, at least so far.  Now that you are getting to putting in fluids, I'm curious what you plan to run in your tranny, transfer case and axle gears.  I'm getting ready to do my +/- 100 mile flush and want to start running some good stuff in all those locations, right now I'm just running napa gear oil.  Did you learn anything cool in that class on oil you took?

Offline Jluck

Wow, that looks really good!!!  I think that you are going to be really happy that you went with the thunderbird radiator, not only does it fit better but it will also do a better job at keeping your engine cool.  I've got the same one and it keeps the 4.0 plenty cool, at least so far.  Now that you are getting to putting in fluids, I'm curious what you plan to run in your tranny, transfer case and axle gears.  I'm getting ready to do my +/- 100 mile flush and want to start running some good stuff in all those locations, right now I'm just running napa gear oil.  Did you learn anything cool in that class on oil you took?

Yep those radiators are great! My I/C piping fit around it good too. I'm glad you discovered them drew! And about the oil....after I do the ringr conversion I will change all my fluids to royal purple. Maybe I'm just a sucker for marketing but I do believe in there product! The wifes tdi beetle runs better than ever after switching to RP. It made a HUGE difference!
     About the oil/bearing/lubrication class yes I learned a bunch and maybe we will have to sit around the fire table and bs about it one of these days :D
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline ghmikk

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!

Yep those radiators are great! My I/C piping fit around it good too. I'm glad you discovered them drew! And about the oil....after I do the ringr conversion I will change all my fluids to royal purple. Maybe I'm just a sucker for marketing but I do believe in there product! The wifes tdi beetle runs better than ever after switching to RP. It made a HUGE difference!
     About the oil/bearing/lubrication class yes I learned a bunch and maybe we will have to sit around the fire table and bs about it one of these days :D
I wouldn't mind hearing what you have learned about that subject either.

Offline Drew 4.0

• FireCrafter.com
Well, you talked me into it, I just ordered all the royal purple I can hold :0)  I was able to get 12 qt's of oil, 6 qt's of gear oil, a bottle of purple ice and a qt of royal purple power steering fluid delivered to my door for less than $200.  I  think that will fill everything except my axles and I want to wait on them until I re-gear.  What is your time off schedule looking like?  Work is slow for me and I was thinking about heading out your way on one the next days you plan to spend in the shop.

Offline BRD HNTR

You should have a Suzuki Oregon swapped motor meet, there are enough rides with swapped out motors in Portland - Salem area to make it interesting.
I might even be able to run down as a Visitor.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Jluck

Sounds fun. Maybe meet&greet short trail run and dinner?

Offline Drew 4.0

• FireCrafter.com
Lets do it, I'm always down for wheelin and eating!!!!

Offline BRD HNTR

Well, set up a date, time, place and I'll do my best to make it.  My wife said she would go for a dinner out.  I would like to meet you guys, and see your builds, so I know I'll have a good time (unless I bust something big before Zukafari).
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Jluck

I figured I better post something before I got scalded. ;)
I haven't worked on the kick much as Ive been prepping a house to sell and I'm waiting on a pile of delivery's and next week should be exciting and the kick should be mechanically assembled soon! ;D

not as fast as drew and Greg on the lightning fast 4.0 toy conversion! I still cant believe there small miracle!

anyway the only thing I did was put in a vacuum manifold. I might not really need it but it will make a nice common place to run any vacuum motive items. and I'm also using a grey/silver silicone hoses for all vacuum lines. (easy visual reference).

sounded like a good idea one late night. ???

Offline Drew 4.0

• FireCrafter.com
That looks sweet!!!  Cant wait to see it all plumbed. Have you thought about upgrading your fuel pump any more?  If I'd known your fishing trip fell through earlier I might have come over for a bit but maybe next weekend.

Offline ghmikk

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!

That would be fun.  I don't know if I would be able to have mine done in time if it was set up real soon, but it would be fun to see all the rigs.

Offline Jluck

oooh Mr postman....keep them coming! ;D

got my radiator back today along with a pile off goodies. the radiator outlet was modified to come out just above the steering box so I wouldn't need a mess of hoses and connectors. I like it! ;D

still waiting on a few more items then this weekend should be a blast!

also I put together a power station using my existing fuse/ammeter and a marine buss block.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:58:24 PM by Jluck »

Offline Jluck

yea for me!!! ;D spent some time on the kick tonight doing little but rewarding things.

re-wired my buss block and got rid of that pink hot lead(I will miss it though ::)), made a ground wire and up sized both hot leads.
then.....
made a half-ass shroud for my electric fan to rivet too. (just a sheet of metal with a hole in it) but it worked very well.
then.....
started my exhaust with a stainless turbo flange from one of the Audi motors machined down to slip fit the new 3" o.d. stainless heavy wall tube. (I was going to use 2.5" but I guess I wanted the challenge). I will add pyrometer and o2 sensor bungs once finish welding is done.

pretty good day for 5 or 6 hours. we'll see if tomorrow is productive.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:51:29 AM by Jluck »

Offline Drew 4.0

• FireCrafter.com
That looks awesome!!  With 3" exhaust you'll have no trouble breathing and it should sound really good, are you still planning on running a straight pipe?  It looks like your down pipe is pretty close to your speedo cable, I'm sure you've already thought about that.  I like your fan shroud, that should make your fan more effective, I didn't do one on mine but seeing how well yours turned out I might rethink that.  Have you thought about putting any kind of a battery disconnect in?  It might give you some peace of mind to know that you can kill all power quickly and easily with all the electrical work that your doing and still have to do under that hood.  Its so exciting to see some more progress!!!  Did you get your fancy fuel rail?  Once you get that cart load of parts on it's gonna be time to light a fire under your wiring guys hiney!  I'll be calling you today some time and gonna try to make it out this afternoon if your around.

WHY is it that all of the really COOL stuff is always so dad-gum FAR AWAY from me?  >:(  I would LOVE to see the rides like this in person, instead of all of the hacks that I do get to see. At least after looking at the "local talent" I don't feel near as bad about my stuff.  ::)  :P