Hello Guest

Audi 1.8 turbo powered sidekick. PICTURES...!!!!!!!

• 330 Replies

Offline Jluck

Re: From turbo diesel to Audi roadster power sidekick. PICTURE THREAD...!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 04:27:39 PM »
Gotcha on the longevity aspect. I just picked up a beater of a 93 4 door Sidekick that I"m gonna do a mild build for my daughter with. Other than leaking everywhere worse than the exxon valdez, the things got well over 200k on it and the engine still sounds tight. My modified turbo engine on the other hand, well lets just say it revs freely now.  IE rattlier and loose  ;D
I guess my concern with this particular swap is the electronics. I'm sure Jluck can fab up whatever mounts, exhaust, metal bits etc that he'll need. It's the amount of sensors and computer cross-referencing they do to keep that engine running well and the related computers that would deter me. Speaking of which, Jluck, did you get the ecu, and whatever computers are involved with the wiring harness?

them banana's are doin it wrong

yep got the computer, exhaust (with dual 02 sensors),pedal (drive by wire) lots more harness than necessary (lets hope)
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: From turbo diesel to Audi roadster power sidekick. PICTURE THREAD...!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »

yep got the computer, exhaust (with dual 02 sensors),pedal (drive by wire) lots more harness than necessary (lets hope)

With my experiences, that is just barely enough.  Do you have both FSM's, or at least complete wiring diagrams?
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Jluck

heres a couple pics of the motor and trans lash up and how I'm doing my motor mounts.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Any updates?
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline gearjam

• RC 2010
Audi A4 and VW Passat also use the 1.8T engine and in that configuration it is mounted in the car like in a Tracker so those oil pans might suit you needs better. They are front sump pans with the engine lay-ed over somewhat to the right. The pans are different depending on which year engine you have. If you have an external water pump then it's one style pan, if the waterpump is turned by the timing belt then it's the later style pan. As for wiring if you are using the wiring from the TT you are going to have to deal with the immobilizer which is built into the ECU and needs to read the ignition key through the instrument cluster. There are guys around that can reprogram the ECU to not need to see the key and cluster. Another way around it would be to use the ECU and wiring from an earlier car that didn't use the immobilizer stuff.

Offline Jluck

here's the motor mount plates,(my rudimentary fab work) tomorrow the motor goes back in for final test fit, tack the outriggers from motor mount to plates pull it all back out, finish weld, and hopefully final install tomorrow or the next day ;D

Offline Jluck

daily update.....not a whole lot done I was busy installing a waste oil burner that I scored but other than that I got the passenger side MM mocked up. I will add gussets around the square tube for directional support. (and the brass spacer butch is temporary so easy on the hate!)LOL :laugh:

Offline BRD HNTR

Looks like the adapter plate worked, and you should be able to use stock drive line. There is also lots of room left.  Looking good.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Jluck

well I got some time to give a update....I lowered the front diff about 1" here's how I did mine....(once again easy on the weld bashing its a new welder I'm trying to figure out)

Offline Jluck

alright then....here's my finished motor mounts also. I have to get a different type of oil pan (and diff drop brackets) but once that stuff comes the motor goes in for good!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bentparts

Looks strong enough, no rubber though? what about vibration? Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Offline Jluck

diff or motor? both have the oem mounts still.

Offline bentparts

Knew I was missing something, that looks like it'll work great. Still waitin' on utahskibum to give us a shipping quote on the parts. I'm sure you could use those drop brackets right about now.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
What are you doing now with the 1.9L VW?

Boat anchor?
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Jluck

well after a 700 mile parts getting road trip with honkey_2.0 im closer to having everything I need but still waiting on snail mail.we went down to trail tough and I have to say the owner brent is a heck of a good guy,as busy as they were he acted as he had all the time in the world for us.(not a shameless plug but truth) after the medford visit it was time to head up into wa. state to get two more Audi 1.8t's then back home. :sleepy:

I got some clean up and paint work done on engine bay, trans and a couple t/cases. maybe drop brackets and oil pan will be here today.