Hello Guest

Audi 1.8 turbo powered sidekick. PICTURES...!!!!!!!

• 330 Replies

Offline Jluck

Audi 1.8 turbo powered sidekick. PICTURES...!!!!!!!
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »
Alright guys starting a new thread. most of you already know the 1.6 to VW turbo diesel build. (others can see the thread in this section) but after many problems and setbacks I'm going back to gas to the tune of a 1.8 turbo motor from a 2000 Audi TT roadster. I know the diesel will never give me the mileage and power that I once envisioned so its time to have some passing power. (and then some)

heres a couple pics of starting point, how it sits today and.....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:34:33 PM by Jluck »
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline Jluck

spent a couple hours in the shop tonight.

Offline Jluck

well the motors home and I'm wondering what i got myself in to ??? just a little wiring harness.... ::) wow I'm glad that's someone else's problem. I am going to do some major oil pan work.

Offline KJMac

Cool conversion! That should be a lot of fun!!
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Let the headaches begin!  :laugh: I bet your getting pretty good at removing and installing motors by now.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline locjaw

Let the headaches begin!  :laugh: I bet your getting pretty good at removing and installing motors by now.
That Suzuki is gonna have had more motors in it than Sasha Grey  >:D :laugh: >:D :laugh:

That is gonna kick some ass in there. how does the motor and tranny mating look, easy, moderate, difficult?.
I too have had this dream also(father has a supercharged, Dinan tuned Mini Cooper). As much fun as bentparts has had building his turbo rig, it will never perform and be as dependable as a setup as one that has been engineered and tested like a stock setup has. The biggest problem i have thought is mating them. The wiring, although difficult, can be done. Your local, so it would be interesting to see it(and ride in it)when it's done so good luck!
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline Jluck

it will be a easy lash-up using the diesel adapter and modifying as necessary. the biggest looking challenge will be the oil pan. I might have to fabricate a new one from scratch....or????

I also looked up the engine code and its the 180 hp instead of 150!!!  yeeee haaaaaaa!! you or any local zukiworld guys are always welcome to stop by.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
That Suzuki is gonna have had more motors in it than Sasha Grey  >:D :laugh: >:D :laugh:

Mmmmm, Sasha Grey...   Er, I mean Audi Motor.  Yea, that's it.  Audio Motor.

Is the oil pan off to the front or the back?  You might have to modify your oil pickup as well.

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jluck

its actually rectangular box, no sump or kick out its aluminum too. I figured on pick-up mod also. could just trailslayer it.....hummmmm. :-\

Offline bentparts

Your absolutly right Locjaw, nothing is as refined as factory engineered, except if it's one of those GM fiascos, but that's another story. I've often lusted after the engine in my wifes MB 230SC. That little supercharged 2.0 ltr is such a kick ass power plant, gobs of bottom end torque, revs like hell and gets 33mpg at 80 on the highway. That being said there are some great tuning companies out there that approach and sometimes exceed factory quality in terms of refinement and driveability, I just can't afford them! :laugh: Really looking forward to following this to see how it turns out.

Ahh, Sasha Grey,  I get  ahem.... all choked up just thinkin about her. ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:29:26 PM by bentparts »

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: From turbo diesel to Audi roadster power sidekick. PICTURE THREAD...!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 09:02:44 PM »
Any idea on engine height?  Is it going to fit under the hood?
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Jluck

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
dimensionally it  will fit great other than the oil pan issue. (its gunna be a challenge)

Offline Jluck

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 02:11:44 AM »
spent some time in the shop tonight (its 2am now). heres a couple progress pics and mock up. ;)

Offline locjaw

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 06:25:05 AM »
Your absolutly right Locjaw, nothing is as refined as factory engineered, except if it's one of those GM fiascos, but that's another story. I've often lusted after the engine in my wifes MB 230SC. That little supercharged 2.0 ltr is such a kick ass power plant, gobs of bottom end torque, revs like hell and gets 33mpg at 80 on the highway. That being said there are some great tuning companies out there that approach and sometimes exceed factory quality in terms of refinement and driveability, I just can't afford them! :laugh: Really looking forward to following this to see how it turns out.

Ahh, Sasha Grey,  I get  ahem.... all choked up just thinkin about her. ;)
it's not just the cost of the tuning company though, those guys spend thousands just building the motor to handle the HP and sure as shit it aint gonna go 200,000 miles!
and.....
I figured i could get everyones "attention" with the Sasha Grey mention
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:30:07 AM by locjaw »
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline bentparts

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 02:25:52 PM »
Gotcha on the longevity aspect. I just picked up a beater of a 93 4 door Sidekick that I"m gonna do a mild build for my daughter with. Other than leaking everywhere worse than the exxon valdez, the things got well over 200k on it and the engine still sounds tight. My modified turbo engine on the other hand, well lets just say it revs freely now.  IE rattlier and loose  ;D
I guess my concern with this particular swap is the electronics. I'm sure Jluck can fab up whatever mounts, exhaust, metal bits etc that he'll need. It's the amount of sensors and computer cross-referencing they do to keep that engine running well and the related computers that would deter me. Speaking of which, Jluck, did you get the ecu, and whatever computers are involved with the wiring harness?

them banana's are doin it wrong