Hello Guest

Waiparous day trip.

• 9 Replies

Offline mike5721947

Waiparous day trip.
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:12:09 PM »
decided to take a trip out to Waiparous with the kick, theres still snow on the ground and it was warm that day so it made it a bit muddy. with open diffs and A/T's it made it a bit more difficult.

ended up going down a couple good trails with some good decents and hill climbs. came up to a section with some good ruts and a small stream. got out and took a look, it all looked solid, just a small stream, maybe 6" deep.

Well... it wasnt that shallow... front wheels got out and sunk after going through some frozen ice/ mud on the surface.
it hit frame. no traction at all. went and grabbed the straps and the come along and went to the closest tree that would give me the best pull. well, what do you know im 15 feet short... ive got no more straps. ended up digging, jacking, putting logs and branches under the front wheels to get them on something atleast solid.

couldnt get it to back out under its own power. with nothing to hook a strap to i was stuck for the night. then i had a crazy idea... i grabbed a log from the bush and found a rut that would work with me. shoved the log down into the rut and through the ice and mud and started pounding. got it in as solid as i could and hooked the strap up and the come along. ended up pulling the truck out of the mud, back onto solid ground, and up the embankment back to level ground.

i couldnt believe it, only in a zuk can you self extract with a log shoved into the ground...
1990 Suzuki sidekick 2Dr Conv.
385,000 km and still going strong.
31" kumhos 3inchs of lift.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: Waiparous day trip.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 01:28:04 AM »
Good story, I have seen these anchors that work in a similar way,
you put it into the ground and as you pull it digs in and gives you
a winch point.

So, did you learn that you should take a buddy in another truck?
and to be prepared to spend the night if all doesn't go to plan?

It's fun to get a wild hair and take off, but in potentially dangerous
conditions it's best to have someone else along just in case

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:08:06 AM »
i know, i know, i know... its an ohv area and most of the time theres atleast a couple trucks you pass by, but strangly there was no other trucks out that day. we would love to go out with other people but no one around has trucks this size, its either jacked up chevys or smaller trucks that are built. nothing my size to run with...

we have been trying to track down a cheap tracker or sidekick to have as a second wheeler... the wife wants her own... she doesnt like it when i dont want to try the deep mud or the water crossings, she likes to say the worst thing ever "it doesnt look that deep" she can sink her own truck... then drag the strap/winch out to it to get pulled out.

i wish i had thought of using a stick in the ground before 4 hours of digging and getting muddy... but i jus cant believe it worked...

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:23:27 AM »
Looks like lots of fun! 8)
How far of a drive is Waiparous from Calgary or your place?
91 Chevy Tracker
2.7L V6, Coil-over Suspension, ARB, and other goodies...
My build - http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=25353.0

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:31:34 AM »
Glad you got it out!  At least you did come prepared with a come along & straps!  Thanks for sharing the story.
My husband and I each have our own Zuks and it is great.  We can go out wheelin' anytime without having to find another wheeler.  We can each decide what we want to try or not.  And if he behaves, I'm usually willing to pull him out when he gets stuck!!!
some clips from The Wishbone Ranch
http://www.youtube.com/user/KyLilRed

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 01:54:02 PM »
At least you have a good story to finish the day instead of ending it with "then I was stuck there overnight"  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:22:54 PM »

hour from calgary. its out by cochrane. (just outside of the village of waiporous)

pretty simple trails, with some good hills. then theres trails that are deep water holes (was out once and came upon a yota on 35 tsl's stuck, meanwhile im on 235's and i came the same way he did... i took the better lines)

theres also a section that is a rock river bed, lots of good pictures to be taken.

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 07:40:25 AM »

hour from calgary. its out by cochrane. (just outside of the village of waiporous)

pretty simple trails, with some good hills. then theres trails that are deep water holes (was out once and came upon a yota on 35 tsl's stuck, meanwhile im on 235's and i came the same way he did... i took the better lines)

theres also a section that is a rock river bed, lots of good pictures to be taken.

Sweet...I've wanted to get down that way for some time.
91 Chevy Tracker

Offline mike5721947

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 03:59:34 PM »
well, message me when you want to go. we do sundays usually as we both are working saturdays.

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 08:32:10 AM »
well, message me when you want to go. we do sundays usually as we both are working saturdays.

Sounds good! won't be for a little while though...still workin' on the machine.
91 Chevy Tracker