Hello Guest

Exploded front diff

• 35 Replies

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
Re: Exploded front diff
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2005, 04:13:52 AM »
To try and clarify my article and your confusion here is a list of the parts as I know them:

Axle Housing:
Stockers

Calmini Anvil:

Here is where I think you are getting confused: I call these enitre units (shown below) the 3rd members of the front axle. In this picture the stock Alum. front is on the right and the Stock XL-& steel 3rd member housing is next to it (the 'empty one')

The parts that are missing from the XL-7 is the 1-carrier, 2-the ring and 3-pinion.

The Carrier is the peice that holds the Ring gear, spider gears(or locker) and mounts inside the empty collers you see in the XL-7 peice.

The Pinion is the peice that sticks through the snout of the 3rd member housing (the peice that you broke). (next to my hand in the second picture below)

I believe that your project will better follow Hutches article:
http://www.zukiworld.com/month_090103/feature_sidekickdrivetrainimprovements.htm than mine.

"I recognize the need to reinforce this area to keep this from happening again. After reading Jagular's post above, it seems as if the snout housing and the drop-out third member are separate pieces and this is getting me confused. According to that post, Zig is running an anvil, XL7 third member, 5.83 Track/kick gears, a modified sammi case(machined to fit the 26 spline side gears), an ez locker and a Track/kick long side inner axle... I was under the impression that the pinion snout housing had the carrier for the whole differential molded into it. Is this right or wrong?"

As the parts go, yes you are correct for my set up. If you go this direction you can get the anvil and locker from calmini and get everything else you need (machined carrier and all) from Hawk.

Did I clear up the 'snout housing' question with my pictures above? If not: The 3rd member housing does hold these parts but they are seperate form the housing. The carrier mounts within the vacant 'rings' you can see in the xl-7 housing pick above. It (the carrier) has the spider gears or locker mounted inside it with the ring gear bolted to the outside of it. Then the pinion gear mounts to the 3rd member housing coming out of the 'snout of the housing.

Here is a close up of my carrier mounted into the XL-7 housing (same one that is empty above)

HTH,
Zig

Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2005, 08:16:23 PM »
Zig, thanks, that clears it up some. I didn't know how to explain what I meant about the 2 parts of the housing. I want the full housing(both parts) to be steel and I want to upgrade to 26 splines. I knpw I could make life simple by calling Hawk, but I'm on a very tight budget and have access to a decent U-Pull-it yard where I can walk out with a complete, loaded front housing for $75.

Is there any particular model of GV that has 5.12's? If so,  can I just grab the entire front housing(loaded) from that GV and then the right CV from a 96 and up Track/kick to finish the upgrade to 26 splines? Anyone?
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline Gear

• Pics and my club website
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2005, 02:10:24 AM »
no GV's had 5.125's

you would need to find an 04 XL7 automatic if you want it all in one go.

Jeff
'03 Grand Vitara & '89 SWB Vitara
Blue bits, Locked bits, Missing bits

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2005, 03:07:07 AM »
Zig, thanks, that clears it up some. I didn't know how to explain what I meant about the 2 parts of the housing. I want the full housing(both parts) to be steel and I want to upgrade to 26 splines. I knpw I could make life simple by calling Hawk, but I'm on a very tight budget and have access to a decent U-Pull-it yard where I can walk out with a complete, loaded front housing for $75.

Is there any particular model of GV that has 5.12's? If so,  can I just grab the entire front housing(loaded) from that GV and then the right CV from a 96 and up Track/kick to finish the upgrade to 26 splines? Anyone?

It's looking like you are going to need to get the steel housing (both parts) and then set up a Kick carrier inside it with the Kick Ring and Pinion.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2005, 06:02:08 PM »
no GV's had 5.125's

but  Autos are aluminum 3rds. Right?
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline Gear

• Pics and my club website
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2005, 12:02:02 AM »
no GV's had 5.125's

but  Autos are aluminum 3rds. Right?

From 04 they all went to steel
Jeff
'03 Grand Vitara & '89 SWB Vitara
Blue bits, Locked bits, Missing bits