Hello Guest

custom bumpers and roof rack.

• 9 Replies

custom bumpers and roof rack.
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »
92 geo tracker hard top... My major question is a DIY roof rack. I was wondering if those of you that have built your own bumpers and possibly a roof rack of your own would mind posting some pics ideas for me.

My man issue is attachment for a hardtop roof rack, I dont like the designs that require you to drill above the tail lights. I would rather have a design that comes off the frame or something like that....

Any help will be great.

Offline jdoakjr

Re: custom bumpers and roof rack.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »
92 soft top, custom bumpers, self made 3" body lift.
96 4 door hardtop 2wd (for parts)

I built my luggage/junk rack with 3/4 and 1/2" emt conduit and attached it to the outside of the rear fenders.
The front attaches to my self made light bar (also 3/4" emt).
It works great, but has a little shake on the highway.
I have read several posts about attaching to the pinch weld of the roof and sides.
I feel that with 4 attachments on each side to the pinch weld, the rack would hold more than a person would care to load up there.
It would also be a lot simpler, lighter, and sturdier than the long uprights required for frame mounting

I'll post some pictures when I get on my computer

Good luck

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »
Thank you very much!!! I was thinking about some type of pinch attachment for the top and felt that would be enough but wasn't sure.  I am looking at building custom bumpers soon and bolting on to the rear bumper and then attaching to pinch point near the front of the roof(like the calmini but attaching to bumper not body). Id like to see pictures of yours though.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 12:10:50 PM »
92 geo tracker hard top... My major question is a DIY roof rack. I was wondering if those of you that have built your own bumpers and possibly a roof rack of your own would mind posting some pics ideas for me.

My man issue is attachment for a hardtop roof rack, I dont like the designs that require you to drill above the tail lights. I would rather have a design that comes off the frame or something like that....

Any help will be great.

Here is a photo of the bumper we built for my Tracker (cut and bent in a metal shop by my nephew).

It hides my winch, but also sits too low.  When I went to moab on 30" tires I didn't have enough approach angle, so keep that in mind when you build your bumper.
And this is the trouble it caused me.  (still fun though)
Moab Poison Spider 2011
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:10:38 AM »
awesome!!! I love to see a little tracker Identical to mine do all of that!!!  Gives me some hope!!! I already knew it would go a ton of places but that video is awesome!!!!! I will definitely do a higher bumper. Thanks so much for sharing that.

Offline skitime

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
Here is my rear winch bumper for ideas.  I added a bar on the bumper to protect the rear door in case there would be an impact on the spare tire.

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
Skitime
I like that your bumper has enough room for a hitch receiver.  I built my rear bumper quick and close to lessen the overhang.  I need to modify it enough to add a receiver and better attachments to the frame.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline darnold87

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »
skitime - thats an awesome rear bumper.

carloblander - I built a roof rack that mounted to the pinch seem... worked really well.  But then I found a Genuine Suzuki roof rack and switched to that.  :)
~Davey
'94 Suzuki Sidekick
'92 Suzuki Swift GT
'04 Lexus GX470

Offline fixed blade

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 07:09:21 AM »
BRD HUNTR, I got a kick out of listening to your wife.  :laugh:

Offline talonxracer

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 07:31:20 AM »
I dont have any pictures of a locals creation for his 2dr, but I will try to track the old fart down and get pics(may be down in Fla already(snowbird)),,,,but what he did was add 2 stantions to the rear steel bumper he fabbed(out past the body on the sides) and then up front he removed the corner trim panels by the hood/windshield and welded mounts there. Then he made a hoop from each rear corner up and followed the roof line and then down to the front mount and then welded the actual rack to those two side hoops.
Tim "the toolman" Taylor is my HERO !!!

The only GOOD Commie is the commie taking a dirt nap....