Hello Guest

exhaust power

• 50 Replies

Offline weaver

• all i want to do is make my suzuki happy
exhaust power
« on: May 26, 2005, 05:47:40 AM »
i looked into exhaust issues and my exhaust is around 1 1/2"-------  the calmini one is 2",, is this make that much of a difference, or should i see about getting a 2 1/2 or larger one??
im getting the air filter though-- K&N and Calmini are the same price.. and say they do the same effects..
98 2door clothtop stocker
2" BodyLift, 15x7's, 235's,
soon- filter, exhaust, etc. etc. etc. coil spacers, etc. etc. & more-----i think

Offline zaggy

Re: exhaust power
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 05:56:52 AM »
Hi there
    My own experience with the wifes Sidekick 4dr, 1.6/16v, 5spd.
    Ran it for 2 days to see what it was like stock/stock
(everything good, 160,000km). Then installed K&N repalcement airfilter and had a custom 2 1/4 exhaust installed from the manifold back.
    Noticable jump in power, better throttle response, torquier and a 4mpg jump in gas mileage.

Works for me

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline 92Sidekick4x4

• Spencer Atkinson, 92Sidekick4x4
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 06:20:43 AM »
Hi there
    My own experience with the wifes Sidekick 4dr, 1.6/16v, 5spd.
    Ran it for 2 days to see what it was like stock/stock
(everything good, 160,000km). Then installed K&N repalcement airfilter and had a custom 2 1/4 exhaust installed from the manifold back.
    Noticable jump in power, better throttle response, torquier and a 4mpg jump in gas mileage.

Works for me

Zag

what muffler did you install? did you put a calmini header on it?>

my lug nuts require more torque then my engine makes ;)

Offline weaver

• all i want to do is make my suzuki happy
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 06:30:31 AM »
custom exhaust from where? ?
how much did that cost you ,(if you dont mind me asking)
the calmini exhaust is around 190.00 U.S.
98 2door clothtop stocker
2" BodyLift, 15x7's, 235's,
soon- filter, exhaust, etc. etc. etc. coil spacers, etc. etc. & more-----i think

Offline 92Sidekick4x4

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 06:46:18 AM »
from what ive heard the calmini EXHAUST is nothing special, id say hook a flomaster on it with 2-2.5 inch pipe and it will do the same thing if not more power

Offline zaggy

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 06:48:22 AM »
Hello again
    The muffler was an off the shelf "Turbo" muffler installed by the exhaust shop I've used for years. No I didn't add a header.
    It's the wifes car so she didn't want me going crazy. (Still trying to figure out how I'm going to break the 2.0L conversion on her.)
    The shop I use in Alberta charged me $200.00 installed with a 1 year warranty. I had it done about 2 yrs ago and have never had a problem.

Zag

Offline Chief

• Whaddya lookin at??
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 11:03:48 AM »
Hell, my current exhaust costed about......30 bux?? It's a piece of 2" pipe bolted on RIGHT behind the Cat (I cut the stock stuff off about 3-4" behind the cat) and it was 2". I have that going to a 2" turbo muffler from summit (like 15) and now I need to get a turndown because it is right on the axle. The piece of pipe was 3' long, and was like 10 bux from NAPA.
03 Tacoma, BBP sliders, TRD L/S, Modded intake,  Da Tow Bitch

94 Tracker. Cancer mod :p Otherwise stock

Offline bus_driver

• the voices tell me different things
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 04:41:49 PM »
well i just got my exhaust changed too 2" also
it was from cat back turbo muffler and bent over the axle to betweet the stock exit and the gas tank...( i did this since the bumpers will be gone and the piipe is protected by the skid bar.....power is more responsive all the way therough it is still very quite and the gas mileage sucked like a bag of sh3t....only becuz i hammer it too hear ;D  the only thing I have done soo far to the intake is remove the snorkel to the fender ( it sound a lot better now ) ut will chage to a cone soon....this should be well rounded ....oh the shole thing cost me $150 CAD   all inc
92 2dr soft top
2-1/4" cherry bomb exhaust
235/75/15
2 inch lift
custom mud

Offline AZKick

• It's paid for now, I can break it.
    • Ckeck out our Teardrops.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 06:00:23 PM »
Getting ready to do the 2" exhaust my self.
Hell, my current exhaust costed about......30 bux??

Seems bout right. Got most of the parts left over from other projects so just going to piece it together. Got some 3 1/2" pipe also, but I think that may be a bit of overkill.  ;D

Offline AZKick

• It's paid for now, I can break it.
    • Ckeck out our Teardrops.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 06:05:14 PM »
By the way, on the headers, are the tubes like 1 3/8 inches? Or am I way off?  ???

Offline zaggy

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 07:23:28 AM »
     I wouldn't get carried away on header size. You want to keep your power in the useable (torquier) range so I would avoid going to a four to one racy car type system.
    I used the Calmini header onmy other project, its a tri-Y design, because I wanted to try and keep the torque up. There are several other good headers out there so shop around for a good tri-Y style.

Zag

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 04:27:07 PM »
I just put a new exhaust on the Kick
before Moab, a 2" to 3" weld reducer
from the industrial plumbing supply, a
3" 90* from the scrap steel pile, I think
it was part of an intake system from a
medium duty Diesel truck, a used 3" cat
from a Chevy P/U that got a new exhaust
system, and a section of 3" exhaust pipe
and a turn down from Autozone, Ohh and
a 3" header collector from them too, tho I
only used the flanges to bolt the exhaust
to the turbo, I think

No muff needed with a turbo, but I need
to extend it to the back

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline DirtDevil

• Island4x4.com
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 04:07:02 AM »
its all about the glass packs...
Sj410 Full exo, Locked, race buckets, 5 point
85.5 LWB sami, Toy axles, locked rear, CJ/RUF, warn 8000, 33's

Offline 92Sidekick4x4

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 12:46:53 PM »
its all about the glass packs...

:D yep

Offline Dimitros

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 12:43:35 AM »
Hi there!

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm from Kiev, Ukraine (it's Central/Eastern Europe)So I apologize for my English :).

Owing a  95 Samurai, 3.5 Calmini Lift Kit, 30" BFG AT's, modified intake with deeply modified Solex carb on it, K&N air filter in stock place, MSD Blaster Coil 2 Off-Road + MSD 8.5 Wires + Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini's Tri-Y header and custom selfmade cat-back after it, 4.89 Petroworks T-case kit, AVM 538 hubs.

Well backing to the topic. It's all started after I've rebuilt my engine, I'd noticed that engine can't breath properly, so I started thinking of getting a new exhaust system. My friend brought me Calmini's header from US as a present for New Year. Therefore the header has a 2" out I ordered Cherry Bomb Glass-packed muffler (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=IMM%2D87507&N=700+401524+115&autoview=sku) and bought Bosal's pipe, Bosal's resonator (cavity maybe) and all other Bosal's pipe-angles,flute and couplings. I know that if I did all the way through 2" pipe I'd lack some torque in low-to-mid rpms (1000-1800) so glass-pack took it's place just after header and then I reduced inner pipe diameter from 2" to 45mm with two couplers(51mm -> 48mm and 48mm -> 45mm) to keep torque line smooth, at the end of the system I've installed small resonator (45mm also) to make less noise.

What I get?

I get a good sounding, all the way straight-through exhaust system. Power gain is about 12-15% (~10 bhp) + better mileage(? fuel economy).

Will post som pics later.
95 Samurai, 1.3, high comp.pistons, ported/grinded head, 1.6 valves, bored intake, Solex carb, K&N air, MSD Coil-Blaster+MSD 8.5 wires+Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini Tri-Y heder, Cherry-Bomb+Bosal custom exhaust, GRS II 4.89 T-case, 3.92:1 R&Ps, Calmini 3.5" susp., 30" BFG ATs, AVM 538 hubs...