Hello Guest

1.6L 16V 4-speed Auto into Samurai

• 6 Replies

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
1.6L 16V 4-speed Auto into Samurai
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:32:35 AM »
I'm wanting to take my OBDI 1.6L 16V w/ 4-speed auto out of my old 4-door and toss her in my Samurai. This is my keyboard warrior thread... and I'll be making a How-To writeup (linked back to here).

What I think I know (tell me if I'm wrong):
* I'm already SPOA'd, so no need for modified oil pan (to clear front axle / diff).
* I need to hit up AutoZone for late 60s to about 71 Dodge vans w/ 381ci, part number: ANCHOR 2266 to avoid body-lifting the rig (lower engine to clear the hood). I may need to drill out a hole in the motor mount to get it to fit.
* I either need an aftermarket header, or to shave the stock down pipe a bit to get it to clear the firewall (or frame rail?).
* I will need to modify (BFH, scissor jack, or cut & patch) the transmission tunnel to get the 1.6L trans to fit.
* I will need to run a doubler (Samurai T-case behind kick T-case), or slip yoke eliminator to use stock drivelines. Or - make my own SYE using the donor slip yokes?
* Will need to install VSS in the SJ410 speedo cluster (it's a SJ410 body on SJ413 frame)
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,50369.0.html
* In-tank (or external) fuel pump, and sidekick fuel filter:
http://members.cox.net/aftermarket4x4/sleeper4.html

Questions:
* I've never done a wiring harness before, and I prefer to do it on my own so I can learn. And - I'm cheap. And - I ain't skeered. I'm GUESSING there's basically several mini wiring harnesses: accessories, lights, engine / fuel management, transmission etc? Is the idea to basically run everything that comes from the ECU, and strip everything else off? Then all accessories / lights etc that are on the Samurai just stay (and engine / ECU / fuel management gets stripped OUT of the Samurai harness)?

Okay - what'd I miss?
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline BRD HNTR

Re: 1.6L 16V 4-speed Auto into Samurai
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:13:15 AM »
This is the problem with the beginner board, I would have missed your prebuild discussions.  Now we will have to check on more boards to find builds and remedies to problems that plague us.  (I know there isn't an easy solution).  With that being said, I am looking forward to your solutions.  When are you starting the build?
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »
After I decide if I'm rebuilding or re-ringing the engine before installing it. And, when I figure out what I'm supposed to do about the wiring harness.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:21:46 PM »
I don't think you will need to clearance the stock exhaust to fit. Mine is close but does not hit at all.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
I'm GUESSING there's basically several mini wiring harnesses: accessories, lights, engine / fuel management, transmission etc? Is the idea to basically run everything that comes from the ECU, and strip everything else off? Then all accessories / lights etc that are on the Samurai just stay (and engine / ECU / fuel management gets stripped OUT of the Samurai harness)?
Okay - what'd I miss?

Theres just one big loom, pull the tape off and then strip out all of the wiring thats not related to the EFI. Your Sammy is EFI already? You can either strip out the Sammy ECU stuff and combine the looms or run the stripped out 16V loom alongside the existing loom.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 11:42:51 PM »
So, I can totally isolate the ECM from the donor 1.6L, and the only place it'd need to hook into the Samurai electrical is to get power to the ECU? Do I just run power to the fuse block of the 1.6L wire harness (after stripping out all the non-ECU / FI stuff), and basically have two fuse blocks?

And... the Samurai is 1.3L carbed.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline hoserjoe

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:30:41 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but maybe somebody's looking at it for ideas.  Nobody's mentioned that you'll need the 16v ECU plus the matching 16v tach.  The 4-spd auto needs the matching ECU for shifting. The tach is an essential part of the installation.  It's far easier to remove ALL the wiring and dash from the donor.   This swap requires a major amount of brainwork and planning.  But the result is awesome.