Hello Guest

S.A.S,four point or leafs

• 21 Replies

S.A.S,four point or leafs
« on: March 12, 2009, 01:52:14 AM »
I'm going to kick a topic off because there seems to be more modified suzuki vehicles here then on suzuki forums site.I know the Canadians have a lot of modified suzukis up there so want all of ya to chime in.
I'm going to put a solid front axle on my suzuki so the question is do I go with a 4 link toyota conversion or do I go with a leaf spring conversion.4 link will give me the best ride and articulation of the 2 but leaf spring have been around the longest and are considered by many the strongest and the best.The leaf springs are probably the easier of the 2 to do but im not scared of the technical problems,it will make it more challenging and satisfying in the end.
So i'm asking every one that has done these kind of conversions to tell me with they liked better if they have done both or what they would change about the type there currently running?If there was any problems I need to be concerned about by both suspensions or witch one you would prefer and why?Thanks and don't play to hard you'll break something.

Offline zukizuki07

Re: S.A.S,four point or leafs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 08:39:49 AM »
more money, better ride, but more work = 4 link
less money, ok ride, less work = leaf
96 2 Door Tracker
4 door springs, Calmini 3"BL , Trailtough Mini spool , 31's
Plans: Jeffs  diff spacer, bumpers, smittybuilt 8k winch and XL7 iron Diff. housing swap

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:17:03 AM »
zukizuki07 just about covered it.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Spitfire Rick

• fun lovin criminal
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »
Ive got a tracker with a solid (samurai)axle & leaves ... it was a pretty simple swap drives as good as a tracker on 35"boggerscan be expected to & is still flexable
If I have to understand don't bother explaining

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
I have the Trail Tough Link set up and it does great. But on the opposite end, my friend is running a wel set up leaf system on his tundra and it also kicks a$$. It's all about doing it right when you do it. He, like me, drives to all events, wheels the hell ou of his ride and drives it home. Do your research and dont cut corners and you'll be satisfied with your result.

We are both on 37's and drive as daily drivers + trail rigs.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »
Hey spitfire,  NICE FREAKIN RIG!!!! ;D ;D Seriously, DAMN!
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 07:39:03 AM »
I have an 05 GV that I'm wanting to get rid of the IFS.All I'm really wanting is a good offroader thats reliable and can be a daily driver on not so smooth roads like louisiana has.Well I guess its a personal preference,The thing I was digging for I guess was,is will the 4 link hold up to hard wheeling.Given the quality of components are good and the welding is good quality.The money and time is no problem.I have seen some 4 link rigs with long control arms and they looked like they would hit and brake before the frame would touch.I'm not looking to build a rock crawler just a good quality rig that I can take down a muddy road hunting or down to the mud pit or drive through the wood in surch of a muddy road,and I won't spend a lot of money on it after I build it to keep it running down the city streets to work.I commute 230 miles one way once a month to work on louisiana roads.

So could some one tell me how there swing arm system worked for them.I'm only looking at putting a maximum of 33" tires on it.and would settle for 31" ,just not with the IFS ive got now. ???

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 09:04:17 AM »
I dont have a lot of proven miles on the Trailslayer kit like I did on my Calmini IFS set up, but so for it's holding up great to a beating on the trail (including slamming up against rocks, and it still rides great down the interstate with 37's. For what you are looking to do, I think a link or a leaf set up would work fine.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Nicksidekickin

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 08:58:55 PM »
Ive got a tracker with a solid (samurai)axle & leaves ... it was a pretty simple swap drives as good as a tracker on 35"boggerscan be expected to & is still flexable

Do you have pics of your set up. i really like the looks of it
1.5 coil spacers front and rear
custom rear bumper
windshield post lights
front push bar
electric fan
aftermarket exhuast
31x10.50s on 15x8s
1.5 body lift

Offline Spitfire Rick

• fun lovin criminal
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 01:42:35 AM »

my rig was put together from a rusty totaled car i bought for the 16v mine was done different than I would do a non wrecked car

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:44:47 AM by Spitfire Rick »

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »
4-link is going to ride better, and flex better. Yes, it will hold up. Virtually all "hardcore" offroad rigs are 4-linked. You can also setup the link suspension out further (stretch) for better approach angles where leafs will stick out beyond the tires and hit things. Leaf is going to be easier to setup, but not flex as well. A 3-link (much more common in the front) with a panhard bar will be easy enough to design, and not much more expensive than leafs. If you want an off-the-shelf solution, check out what Trail Tough's got. They might have to custom make you a kit, but I'm sure Brent can let you know...
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline v-stone

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 03:54:04 PM »
I've heard cal mini is making a kit to put the sami axle in the kick but you need to call them. Rick sent me this pic of his rig flexing and thought it was pretty awesome for some samurai springs. Hope he doesn't mind me posting it for him, it needs do be shared.
SAS Tracker! No looking back now.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 01:36:41 AM »
I'm looking into doing a 4 link with panhard link.I need to take full measurements before I can plan any further.If 4 link to much trouble ill go with 3 link.I'll make that decision when I'm done with tear down.I'm going to have to modify the cross member any way so when I get to that point I can sit the axle up there and see whats going to line up and whats not.I need to talk to some one about length of the control rods.I'm wanting to make the control rod short and the mount even with the bottom of the frame or attached to the side off the frame to keep the rod connection from hitting the ground when bottoming out.
I've looked at pictures of the trail slayer kit,it looks nice just don't like the bolt on bracket sitting 1"-2" under the vehicle like that.It reduces the ground clearance that you gain from the lift, looks like you would bottom out and bend that all to hell,and bend the control arms.For the flex you get out of it and the lack of options,it does look like the best thing out there.The 4 door would have more trouble with damage to suspension components then 2 doors.If mine was a 2 door I would buy a trailslayer in a minute.Well thanks guys,Its going to be a couple months before I can start buying parts and get every thing together.I need a new welder.   

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 01:47:53 AM »
That is a nice ride there spitfire.........even if it is a wreck ...LOL.    Does any body know what the width of a toyota front axle is by any chance.debating on getting an axle custom made or going with a toyota stock.I'm not sure what suzuki put in my GV,I'm at work for a month and can't clime under the vehicle and look rite now.   Will I need to change the stock rear axle because of mismatch gearing?I can use wheel spacers  for matching the width in back and changing the lug pattern. Again thanks for the help.

Offline Spitfire Rick

• fun lovin criminal
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 08:36:59 AM »
i got a sami in my garage w/toyota axles I could measure where to you want it measured from? I hav a rig I built w/home made 4/5 link it works off road sweet but I built it w/ farmer link ends so its not really for driving on road like you want. if you used good quality rod ends Im sure it could be street driven (safley) but if your interested I could get pics of how I did it