Hello Guest

i got a new zook

• 12 Replies

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
i got a new zook
« on: August 04, 2007, 08:17:26 PM »
i just bought another vit the other week, and its immaculate and flawless for a 95 soft top. its basically still virgin. 1.6l MPFI 16V

but after driving it for a while, such as running around doing stuff all day, it starts to cut out. by that, i mean it loses power as if the fuel is not igniting like there's no spark.

it just dies, the revs go down steadily, and if i back off, it will just go back to idle. sometimes it doesn't even have enough power to move off in 1st and the change to 2nd is just as bad sometimes.

i was thinking its a fuel delivery problem. could it be water contaminating the tank. i changed the fuel filter, and the old fuel filter was heavy as shit when i tipped all the fuel out of it, and the fuel coming out of it looked like rusty water.

i don't know too much on the 1.6 efi vits, as i'm just starting out again, but would it be anything to do with the fuel pump as well? is the fuel pump an internal one or a external one? can i run an external pump?

if i stop the car, and let it sit for 5 minutes, and then start off again, its fine again for a while. it seems that its only doing this when it get hot from a lot of driving.

i changed the air filter, oil, oil filter, plugs and leads, as the car has only done 120,000kms. everything else seems fine.

any help would be greatly appreciated. what could the problems be, what would be a solution to a fix, and i have no idea about finding stuff out with codes and so on.

thanks heaps in advance.

1989 Suzuki Vitara... Stock Standard

something closer to home: www.DARWIN4X4.net[/url]

outerlimits4x4.com = Great Tech, Bad Influence

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: i got a new zook
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:21:11 AM »
It does sound like a fuel delivery problem. If the petrol coming out of the filter looked that bad then you might have to drop the tank and wash it out. The fuel pump is in the tank.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 06:01:44 PM »
I just stumbled on to this since I've been busy for weeks. My first thought is a slightly clogged cat. As it gets hotter and the stuff that's clogging expands, it restricts more. I had it happen on a quest. I hallowed out the cat and it ran like new. Don't do that though because the cat's worth recycle money. Replace it or remove it if that's the problem.  I had two muffler shops tell me my cat was fine but I doubted them and I was right.

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline geeeeoooo

• mmmdrop
    • my myspace page
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 07:42:35 PM »
i recently installed an engine in my 95 16v tracker, and when i first put it together it was running kinda weird, and doing almost the same thing your describing, i removed the egr tube and it was packed full of carbon, i used about a can of brake cleaner, and a piece of stainless safety wire to clean it up, and that fixed my trouble....the tube is kinda in a bad spot as usual with this engine, so its pretty hard to get to, but it may be something to look into...by the way, my check engine light wasnt on either....hope this helps.....

any plans for the new one, once its running right yet??
my truck rails harder than your girl

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 04:04:54 PM »
Thinking about this, I use to have an 84 nissan with an electric fuel pump mounted below the back of the passanger seat under the bed. It would run fine and then when it was warm, it would seize up from being expanded inside it's own casing. The only time it would show a lack of fuel pressure is if you tested the fuel pump when the vehicle was stalling. The dealer (I tried everything I could think of myself) tested it twice when it was cold and said it tested fine so I would actually have to bring it back by when it was acting up. Hard to do when you couldn't drive anywhere once the symptoms occurred. It just seems that once you thought you saw everything, something else ends up being the problem.

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 07:19:26 AM »
Don't do that though because the cat's worth recycle money.
...and that junk inside is toxic!

I had the same problem in my old Civic(bought an aftermarket off eBay), AND... my 95 Tracker has the CAT insides removed, care of the P.O. I'll be replacing that soon too with an eBay special... we need one for inspection.
If you're aloud to run without it in your Country, just cut the flanges off and weld in a straight pipe  ;)

Offline geeeeoooo

• mmmdrop
    • my myspace page
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 12:45:25 PM »
thats true....i dunno how plugged my cat was, so i cut it off anyway, up here in michigan we dont need em.....it added a little bit more get up and go too. so it may have been plugged up
my truck rails harder than your girl

Offline ZeusZuki

• I like em low with big feet. New Zealand.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 03:35:08 PM »
From what you posted I would drop the fuel tank and check that - if your fuel filter was heavy then it is probably full of crap . If the fuel looked like rust then your tank might be rusting, the fuel pump pick up is in the fuel tank and picks up from down low so it may also be getting clogged with all the debri causing it to work harder than it should ( read : it could cause it to fail ).

All of the above could easily cause fuel starvation and the symptoms you describe.

Good luck  ;D

ZeusZuki  8)
1600 Escudo / Kick, beam front, coils all round, 37 MTR's, 97" wheelbase, locked fr & rr,twin stick, front stock ratio, Calmini 5.14 t box rear, Warn XD9000i winch, blah blah!

2.0 V6 auto, Calmini 3" kit, 33" jandles, LT struts, blah blah

2.5 V6 man GV, Calmini 2.5" kit, 235/85x16 jandle

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 02:53:51 AM »
man, its been a while since i last posted.

thanks guys.

well, my new vits up and away and running good.

problem was the fuel pump, and the pump filter clogging up with rust. i dropped the tank out, and the little bowl in which the filter would sit was rusting out. i would guess a lack of use and a long storage period with low fuel in the tank.

anyway, a new filter and pump is in, and now its all good. you can hear the new in tank pump buzzing away as you walk behind the vit. cool.

well, since my post above, the vits had some gear done to it.

this was how it was:

it was in such good condition, i was so happy to have found another one this good.

anyway, it now has a 4" OME suspension lift. i work for ARB here where i live. its cool.

things to come, front and rear air lockers.
Body lift undecided yet
32" tyres and some new wheels.
front and rear steel bars

but thats about it for now, i'm just taking my time with this one, and i'll be trying to do things properly, if that means anything.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 02:55:33 AM by SiKiD_01 »

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 03:16:00 AM »
here's with the new suspension in it. still got more i think, tyres are still on terra firma.

Offline Praise Him

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 05:15:26 PM »
here's with the new suspension in it. still got more i think, tyres are still on terra firma.

Those are pictures of the 4' OME lift? Looks pretty close to stock..
sammy/toy axles/locked/geared/cased/36's

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 09:22:18 PM »
its only a 2" lift. sorry to mis inform you guys.

B1394RJ

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 11:46:40 AM »
now that zook looks cool allright, hi guys, im looking for that OEM rims, if anybody willing to sell it (5 pieces) and ship it to Indonesia, Jakarta 10560, do let me know... and o im looking for the OEM roofrack also(secretservice_79|removethispart|@yahoo.com)