Hello Guest

SJ-410 Rear 4-Link Build

• 14 Replies

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
SJ-410 Rear 4-Link Build
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:43:01 AM »
Did some work on it this weekend and managed to get some pictures on-line.

At this point we have the lower link mounts built and on the axle, the frame side is built but not mounted yet.

Spring pads are built, but we don't have it centered for the new springs yet.  We also don't have the bump stops, we may end up going with some TJ style as they are easy to mount.  If we are lucky we can just cut off the bump stops on the parts Tracker and weld them in place.

We have the mounts for the axle side upper link and frame side mount for the upper links, but don't have the new cross member built yet.  That will happen next week along with building the actual links.

Axle looks like we can move it back about an inch and still clear the gas tank.  We will probably go with a Tracker style shock mounting where they are angled to the rear with a C style mount off of the axle.

Full picture set can be found at http://picasaweb.google.com/CrawlersNW/4Link#

Upper link base, front side.

Upper link brace, back side.

Upper link brace with mount sitting on top.

Upper link mounts, found square stock just the right size for the Johnny Joints.  They are used often.

Lower Link Mounts sitting in position.

Lower Link Mounts, frame side, sitting in position.  No bracing has been added yet.

Lower Spring Pad + Lower Link Mount.  We had a couple designs on the spring pad design, this one won.  Something to hold the spring in position will be added once final fitments have been completed.

Upper spring pad mount with brace.  The pad is just tacked in at this point in case we need to move it.

Current state of the axle until next week.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline 91zukisas

Re: SJ-410 Rear 4-Link Build
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:15:55 AM »
Looking good.
91 2door Sidekick yota Axels  SAS Kit, header and custom intake, etc
04 Kia Sorrento, Limited slip, 31X10.50 2" lift
89 Sammy Tintop-new project :D
95 TSI, EVO 3 16g turbo swap, front mount, 20lbs boost

Offline v-stone

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:23:37 PM »
looks good. How are you making the spring mounts on the axle?
SAS Tracker! No looking back now.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:12:56 PM »
We have a raised spring pad with a notch cut out for the spring to slide into.  So you can just screw it into position, we saw it on another rig and liked the design.

The rear axle is done and has the upper links welded on, it looks like Stonehenge. :D  We hope to be able to build the links this weekend and tack everything in place to check for clearances. 
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »
Finished up some more work on the rear end.  Links are done, mounts are built.  The steps for next weekend is to tack the frame mounts in place, put the bump stops on the upper spring mounts and make sure nothing binds up.   Then weld it in place and give it a quick test.   The new exhaust and shock mounts will probably wait for the week after.

Full size pictures available at http://picasaweb.google.com/CrawlersNW/4Link#

Lower spring pads. You can see the spot that allows us to just screw the springs in to hold them in place.

Spring on said pad.

The Stone Henge we have for the upper links.

BRD HNTR cleaning up a bracket.

Johnny Joint and Bung. 

BRD HNTR notching the tube old school style.

Going with solid bushings on one end, JJ on the other.  We can always replace them later if we need to.  The ends were cut off of the springs I replaced so we can use easily available bushings.

Links ready for installation.  Lower links are at 35", upper links at 26.75"

It looks like a real suspension finally.

Under the body with the lower mounts just sitting in place resting on the springs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:07:33 AM by Drone637 »
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:35:13 AM »
Today I will be picking up new bolts, as all the parts stores were closed yesterday.  Then putting the brakes back on so I know what needs to be replaced.  New bushings will be here tomorrow.  When I'm in Seattle... Oh well.  Full size pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/CrawlersNW/4Link#

So instead of making a test drive yesterday we made sure everything moved properly, put the bump stops and spring pads on (cut off of the front end of a parts Tracker), finalized the welding and painted everything.  We are keeping the stock shocks, with different lower mount placement, in order to limit our flex so we don't drop the drive line.

Look, no binding!

Bit more flex available then with the springs.

Springs from a Tracker rear in place with bump stops.

Shot of the SJ sitting on the springs.  We sit about 1/2" higher in the rear then before, that should be taken care of once I load tools and such in the back.  She now sits almost completely level.  The rear axle is only an inch further back, but you can't really tell by looking at it.

Then we put primer on everything then painted it with Hammerite using the paint gun.  It certainly made everything go faster.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:25:44 AM by Drone637 »
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 11:42:58 AM »
*still drooling*
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 02:46:12 PM »
i want one!!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 08:57:24 PM »
Ran into some issues with repairing the brake lines, mainly due to the spares I thought I had not actually existing.  A trip to the auto parts store provided the wrong parts, then we raided the parts tracker for something that looked like what we were looking for.

So that meant it was time for a field test!  In this case literally.

When doing the road test it leans a bit more then before, but controllable.  It leans to a point then stops, it does not keep rolling when doing a slalom run.  I can now do broadies in the dirt, that is new.  And when taking off across the field it just soaks up the bumps instead of bouncing around, not a harsh ride at all.

Now all that is left before the trail runs is to rebuild the front axles and fix the exhaust.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »
Nice poser pron & thanks for the pics. I'm thinking of 4-linking the rear of my kick. Mmmmm... links....
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 09:47:42 AM »
Finally got the Suzuki out on the trail for a workout.  The new suspension works great on the roads, just soaks up the little bumps that used to throw the SJ around.  As for climbing, it jumps up ledges now with authority.  I used to get some load up when I hit objects as the suspension flexed and gave a bit, but now when it hits items the rear end just wants to climb right up.  It's amazing the difference.  It also feels like I have more power in general when I take off.  I haven't done any open road testing but it just seems to put more power to the ground.

I'll probably need HD rear axles before to long though, as the suspension isn't going to soak up the bumps as much anymore.  An upgrade to think about before this winter.  We have a few shots from the Rieter Trails trash cleanup I used as a test run this weekend available over here  Also pictured is BRD HNTR's Tracker, that I put a dent in the door of. 

Strike a pose.

I don't see any rocks...

BRD HNTR's Tracker being guided down a drop off.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 03:59:03 PM »
Finally got the Suzuki out on the trail for a workout.  The new suspension works great on the roads, just soaks

Strike a pose.

Hey man, put some doors and seat belts in that beast and come racing with us!

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 04:53:30 PM »
Hey man, put some doors and seat belts in that beast and come racing with us!

-Eric

Can I make everyone else add 400 pounds of extra weight to help the 970cc compete a little better?  :D

I'll be down there with the SJ, but won't be racing.  Not enough spare time this year due to being stuck as a contractor until July.  :(
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »
Have you noticed any roll steer in turns?
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 12:43:25 PM »
No, it handles much better then before.  According to the calculator I should have around 6% roll steering, which is within the limits.  I get a bit of lean when cutting back and forth down the road, but it goes so far then hunkers down, much more controllable then before.  And that is when doing 30+ down the road with 15lbs air in the tires.  :D
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing